5em

mistake STATE OF CHARGEABILITY

20 posts in this topic

Hey , 
I won the lottery but I choose my state of changeability as portugal cause I have a citizenship. 
I was born I Israel. 

ive heard that its ok cause they are both under EU in the case number but im not sure. 

any advice? 
thank you! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Pretty sure Israel is not in the EU

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Posted (edited)

where can I check that? cause chatpgt ( honestly idk where to ask lol) tells me that for the dv lottery it fell under the EU. 

"

3. Europe

• Includes countries across the European continent, including Russia, Germany, France, and Italy.
  • Includes some countries that might not traditionally be considered geographically in Europe, such as Turkey and Israel."

6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Pretty sure Israel is not in the EU

Edited by 5em

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, 5em said:

where can I check that? cause chatpgt ( honestly idk where to ask lol) tells me that for the dv lottery it fell under the EU. 

Never rely on ChatGPT for providing factually correct answers, that's not what it's for. Like you already discovered, Israel and Portugal are from different regions and unfortunately your entry will most likely be disqualified:

9 FAM 42.33 N4.3 Errors in Choice of Country of Chargeability (CT:VISA-1478; 08-26-2010) 

If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error, you may continue processing the application.

You can certainly try to continue the process while clearly stating your mistake, but you will probably be wasting your time.

Timeline
Posted (edited)

Perhaps you were asking about Eurovision?

But then Australia is in Eurovision

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

undefined

haha good luck for Eden today ! 

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Perhaps you were asking about Eurovision?

But then Australia is in Eurovision

and wil they tell me anything before the interview ? so I know to now pay the fee etc? 

1 hour ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Never rely on ChatGPT for providing factually correct answers, that's not what it's for. Like you already discovered, Israel and Portugal are from different regions and unfortunately your entry will most likely be disqualified:

9 FAM 42.33 N4.3 Errors in Choice of Country of Chargeability (CT:VISA-1478; 08-26-2010) 

If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error, you may continue processing the application.

You can certainly try to continue the process while clearly stating your mistake, but you will probably be wasting your time.

Timeline

I thought you have to pay to get the interview?

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, 5em said:

Hey , 
I won the lottery but I choose my state of changeability as portugal cause I have a citizenship. 
I was born I Israel. 

ive heard that its ok cause they are both under EU in the case number but im not sure. 

any advice? 
thank you! 

Unfortunately  you will be disqualified and subsequently denied at the time of your interview since Israel is under the AS region, and Portugal is under the EU region. No amount of explanation will lead to an approval, seen this year after year. The DV 2025 instructions linked below shows the different regions and the countries within each

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/dv-2025-instructions-translations/DV-2025_Instructions-faqs.pdf

1 hour ago, 5em said:

haha good luck for Eden today ! 

and wil they tell me anything before the interview ? so I know to now pay the fee etc? 

You will only be informed of your disqualification when you’re face to face with the CO, which will be after making the payment. You will not only be losing the payment fee at that point, there’s also the cost of the medical exam and any other cost associated with getting your documents which would also be lost since denial is inevitable should you choose to proceed. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 5em said:

Hey , 
I was born I Israel. 

any advice? 
thank you! 

The only way this could be salvaged is if:

1. You have a spouse that was born in an eligible european country and they're immigrating together with you (e.g. they were born in Portugal), or;

2. You qualify under a "just passing exemption", basically immigrant visas are generally charged to country of birth, but if you were born in a country and never lived there and neither of your parents were born there, or resided there at the time, then you could charge it to a country one of your parents was born in (e.g. both of your parents were born in Portugal, you were born during a vacation or in transit).

3. 1 and 2 both apply (e.g. your spouse was born in lets say Canada during a brief visit, but lets say one parent was Russian and the other was German).

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Posted (edited)

Your saving grace however will be if you’re married, and your spouse is born in Portugal, then you definitely should proceed and claim chargeability to your spouses country of birth (provided your spouse meets the educational or work experience requirement also, as you’ll both be treated as primary selectees). 

Edited by Sm1smom

1 minute ago, Sm1smom said:

Your saving grace however will be if you’re married, and your spouse is born in Israel, then you definitely should proceed and claim chargeability to your spouses country of birth (provided your spouse meets the educational or work experience requirement also, as you’ll both be treated as primary selectees). 

But I was born in Israel myself .. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.