6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I've been searching around for an answer to this question, but couldn't find anything concrete.

My fiance finally got his interview scheduled for July!

Here is my question:

When our I-129f petition got approved by USCIS, we read in many places that is when the 6 month timeline for when he had to move to the US started. Meaning since it was approved in March, he would HAVE to move to the US by September.

In other places, we read that the 6 month timeline doesn't start until AFTER the actual K-1 Visa is approved at the interview. And since his interview is in July, that would mean he has until January to move to the US.

He plans on asking the officer at the consulate in Frankfurt at his interview, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

cause I my anxiety and impatience will not let me wait 😂

So does the 6 month timeline start after the petition is approved or after the K-1 Visa is approved?

Thank you!

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Posted (edited)

Hi!

The Approval (Noa2) is valid vor 4 months. You will find the date on the Noa2 letter.

I think you are referring to the 180 days time period the visa is valid. ALWAYS look on the visa what the actual expiry date is!

To elaborate: Assuming the visa gets approved, it will be valid for 180 days, however: This time period starts on the day of the medical exam!

In short: No, you do not have to move within 6 months after the approval of the petition :)

Hope this helps!

Edited by Rosaly

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Posted (edited)

6 months starts from the day of the medical. This is one of the reason why people try to have their medial close to their interview date. But if your medical is a month before interview, your will likely have less time to make POE after approval. Note that it varies a bit between Embassy, but MOST suppose to allow 6 months from the medical. 

Edited by SneakyPete

Timeline

My fiance's medical is scheduled for 2 weeks before his interview.

And if everything goes well will be arriving in the US sometime in September.

So hopefully we wont have any issues with POE.

Hi there,

I've been lurking for a few months now gathering tips and tricks on the I-129F. My petition is currently sitting in the post office waiting to be delivered tomorrow. 

I was not aware that it was 6 months from the medical instead of 6 months from the actual visa issuance. What have you found is the best way to plan around this? My fiance has to give 3 months' notice at his job and will have to sort out a few things before making POE (like selling his car, which he can't do until after he serves his 3 months).

He's from the UK so will be handling his portion in London :) 

Appreciate any insight!

Timeline
Posted (edited)

Hey!

Personally I think the best thing to do would be for him to schedule his medical as close to his interview date as possible.

We did 2 weeks out to give the doctors office enough time to get the results to the embassy. That was the recommended turn around time for the consulate in Frankfurt Germany where my fiance will have his interview

I'm not sure if the timelines would be similar for London.

But once you make it though to the point where he schedules his interview, it gets pretty easy to plan stuff since you have a definite date. Unless of course there's an issue during his interview which requires a second interview, which can happen but if you have everything in order and he can answer the questions they ask easily, you shouldn't have a problem.

You can't attend the medical exam without proof of a scheduled visa interview anyway.

So if he is able to do the medical exam pretty close to his interview, he shouldn't have a problem with tying up loose ends well before the 6 months passes.

Hope that all made sense and it helps! 😊

Edited by mhuck2014
missed word

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.