earthbi

I-864 and beneficiary's assets

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi,

My partner and I got married in the US whilst I was here visiting on a B2 visa. We already submitted the I-130 and I-485. On the I-864 my partner's salary is a little low, but we have assets to cover it. We sent in evidence of assets (confirmation from the banks) from both join accounts, his accounts and my savings account. We didn't read the small print that they would want 12 months average assets, so we now have to submit the bank transcripts after receiving request of evidence. My assets alone are actually  sufficient, and the easiest to get all the bank transcripts from. But that money is in my bank in Norway. My partner's assets alone is also sufficient on it's own, but consists of a mix of bonds and different accounts - more complicated to gather together and to calculate the 12 months average. Our joint account is less than a year old (just since February). So I wonder if anyone has any experience if it's sufficient to give evidence of only beneficiary's assets. They are in an open account, I could transfer it very quickly to the US if necessary (but I prefer keeping them in Norway because of much better interest rates). I have a statement from the bank that the account is open. And if I only send bank statements from my own account should we sent a new I-864 updating the assets calculation and removing joint and his assets since we are not sending in all the evidence to prove it? Or should we really gather all the statements from all the accounts and send those in? Thank so much for any insight.

* 3/22/24 -  Filed I-130 online 

* 3/23/24 -  Sent I-485 with I-131 & I-765 with UPS

* 4/4/24   -  Received receipt notices

* 4/12/24  -  Received notice of scheduled biometrics appointment

* 4/16/24  -  Request for evidence form I-485 (I-864 income/assets requirements)

* 5/3/24    -  Biometrics appointment

* 5/5/24    -  I-765 Work Authorization Approved, EAD card to be produced

* 5/15/24  -  Received social security card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Moved to Adjustment of Status From Work, Student, and Tourist Visas****

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
On 4/30/2024 at 10:10 AM, OldUser said:

Consider finding a joint sponsor. Assets are harder to get accepted, especially beneficiary's assets.

Thank you for your response and perspective. I would much rather like to base it on assets though. Mainly because it seems much easier, because we can show assets more than tenfold the required amount. Because beneficiary's assets alone cover tenfold the required amount, the question is if it's just clearer to just send this information. Sponsor's assets also covers the requirements alone, but just barely, and consists of a mix of accounts and stocks (though all US accounts). When it states so clearly in the I-864 instructions that assets can be used, it doesn't make sense to me that they would not get accepted. I can think of a friend who would be willing to be a joint sponsor, but I would prefer not to bother her with this if we can handle it with our assets.

* 4/16/24  -  Request for evidence form I-485 (I-864 income/assets requirements)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, earthbi said:

Thank you for your response and perspective. I would much rather like to base it on assets though. Mainly because it seems much easier, because we can show assets more than tenfold the required amount. Because beneficiary's assets alone cover tenfold the required amount, the question is if it's just clearer to just send this information. Sponsor's assets also covers the requirements alone, but just barely, and consists of a mix of accounts and stocks (though all US accounts). When it states so clearly in the I-864 instructions that assets can be used, it doesn't make sense to me that they would not get accepted. I can think of a friend who would be willing to be a joint sponsor, but I would prefer not to bother her with this if we can handle it with our assets.

Some data points:

I hear issues using assets a lot from people on YouTube immigration show, and I watched all 593 episodes so far, so about ~600 hours of content or more.

It is natural to go the easier route, but it doesn't always work with USCIS. You can give it a try, but have joint sponsor lined up. The worst case you'd lose some time because of RFE.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
51 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Some data points:

I hear issues using assets a lot from people on YouTube immigration show, and I watched all 593 episodes so far, so about ~600 hours of content or more.

It is natural to go the easier route, but it doesn't always work with USCIS. You can give it a try, but have joint sponsor lined up. The worst case you'd lose some time because of RFE.

Thank you! So that was another question - you seem to confirm that if I send in assets proof, and they still are not convinced, they will send me another RFE where I can add joint sponsor? They wont just deny the case?

1 hour ago, earthbi said:

Thank you! So that was another question - you seem to confirm that if I send in assets proof, and they still are not convinced, they will send me another RFE where I can add joint sponsor? They wont just deny the case?

Any of the three can happen:

- Another RFE

- Notice of intent to deny (NOID)

- Outright denial

Timeline
8 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Any of the three can happen:

- Another RFE

- Notice of intent to deny (NOID)

- Outright denial

Gosh! That's amazing! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.