rks_emelander

A couple Form I-129F questions (Merged threads)

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, my fiance just returned home after visiting the US 2 weeks ago. I am filling out the I-129F file this week before leaving the country for a period for work. I was surprised that this form isn't available to fill electronically so in filling out the paper form, some additional questions that came up in the process I hope to get some help with--

1) Other than a passport-style photo (she will email and I'll print here), letter of intent (she will scan, email, and I'll print here), and her info for me to fill in the I-129F, is there anything else she needs to provide at this time?

2) Does her passport-style photo require any name or signature on the back?

3) At what time are Form DS-230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration) and Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) required, if at all?

4) Does Certificate of Citizenship (Item 41) apply to US citizens born in the US? Do they require a birth certificate here or is it a different document on for those born to US citizens abroad?

5) For a dead parent, should I put "deceased" in Item 31a and 31b (City and Country of Residence)

6) For the beneficiary's parents info, does it require her birth parents, or will her step-mother who raised her be sufficient?

5) If she changes job or address (she is thinking of spending a few months in her hometown during the processing to be with her sick grandparent) --

5a) Is a change of address necessary to be submitted?
  5b) Can this be submitted electronically if I happen to be out of the US?

6) I am filling out the PDF version of the document from the USCIS site, typing most fields. Since I can't duplicate Part 8 easily in the document, is there any issue if I handwrite those pages and mix with the typed pages?

7) In Part 8 for Additional Information, she and I have both had at least 4 different addresses (I work remotely and spend long periods out of the US and she has moved to jobs in 4 different cities) since we lived together 4 years ago. Can I use 1 box in Part 8 for the entire address info section for each address?

For example: 

3.a.: page 2
    3.b.: part 1
   3.c.: items 11.a.-12.b.

3.d.: <whole address>, <dates lived>

Or, does each individual number-letter item point need it's own section of 4 boxes in Part 8?

Thank you all very much for this and the previous help

Edited by rks_emelander

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
27 minutes ago, rks_emelander said:

Hi all, my fiance just returned home after visiting the US 2 weeks ago. I am filling out the I-129F file this week before leaving the country for a period for work. I was surprised that this form isn't available to fill electronically so in filling out the paper form, some additional questions that came up in the process I hope to get some help with--

1) Other than a passport-style photo (she will email and I'll print here), letter of intent (she will scan, email, and I'll print here), and her info for me to fill in the I-129F, is there anything else she needs to provide at this time?

Here's the checklist my fiance and I used (it formatted weirdly, sorry in advance):

• Form G-1450: Authorization for Credit Card Transactions
  • Form G-1145: e-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
  • Form I-129F: K-1 Fiancé Visa Petition
  • Supporting documentation/proof of nationality:
    • Proof of petitioner's citizenship (I used my birth certificate, but passport works)
    • Copy of beneficiary's passport
  • Supporting documentation/proof of legitimate relationship:
    • Photos 
    • Any additional evidence (letters/emails, etc)
  • Supporting documentation/proof of visit in last 2 years:
    • Photos
    • Travel documents
    • Copy of Form I-94
  • Signed declarations of intent to marry from both parties
  • One passport-style color photo of both petitioner and beneficiary (take within 30 days of filing)
  • $267.50 USD each for filing fee (the total is $535 if you don't need to split it up)

2) Does her passport-style photo require any name or signature on the back?

No need.

3) At what time are Form DS-230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration) and Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) required, if at all?

It'll be the DS-160 and you've got probably around 6+ months until you have to worry about that.  First need to get the petition approved and passed from USCIS to the National Visa Center, then on to the embassy.

4) Does Certificate of Citizenship (Item 41) apply to US citizens born in the US? Do they require a birth certificate here or is it a different document on for those born to US citizens abroad?

See checklist!

5) For a dead parent, should I put "deceased" in Item 31a and 31b (City and Country of Residence)

I put N/A for anything that did not apply.  Place of birth still applies even for deceased parents but current residence would not.

6) For the beneficiary's parents info, does it require her birth parents, or will her step-mother who raised her be sufficient?

It's going to require birth parents (or adoptive) in order to determine your fiancee's current nationality.  Provide as much information as is known.  Communicate with her family and track that info down.

5) If she changes job or address (she is thinking of spending a few months in her hometown during the processing to be with her sick grandparent) --

5a) Is a change of address necessary to be submitted?
  5b) Can this be submitted electronically if I happen to be out of the US?

You'll be able to submit changes of address through USCIS at any time during processing.  Keep it accurate, update as needed.

6) I am filling out the PDF version of the document from the USCIS site, typing most fields. Since I can't duplicate Part 8 easily in the document, is there any issue if I handwrite those pages and mix with the typed pages?

Nope.  Just write legibly. 

7) In Part 8 for Additional Information, she and I have both had at least 4 different addresses (I work remotely and spend long periods out of the US and she has moved to jobs in 4 different cities) since we lived together 4 years ago. Can I use 1 box in Part 8 for the entire address info section for each address?

For example: 

3.a.: page 2
    3.b.: part 1
   3.c.: items 11.a.-12.b.

3.d.: <whole address>, <dates lived>

Or, does each individual number-letter item point need it's own section of 4 boxes in Part 8?

Thank you all very much for this and the previous help

For any address history, I used each box for each address.  The USCIS website will have information on providing additional pages for the I-129F.  Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

Congratulations and good luck!

Edited by hplusj

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

ds 230 is for cuban reunification 

is she Cuban?

No, she's Chinese. The DS-230 is in the assorted documents in Visa Journey's set of downloads for the K-1 process. The form itself say nothing about nationality, time to submit, or relevance to K-1 visa.

image.thumb.png.39feeba4152b32923ef4980e8b7e4dbb.png

Edited by rks_emelander

23 hours ago, hplusj said:

It's going to require birth parents (or adoptive) in order to determine your fiancee's current nationality.  Provide as much information as is known.  Communicate with her family and track that info down.

She is estranged from her birth mother since childhood and not in contact with her. I'm not sure if we could get her date of birth or current city. Her dad had sole legal custody and remarried, her stepmother raised her but never legally adopted her.

My fiance and I are filling out the 1-129F form this week before I go abroad. A couple questions came up--

1) The most important one is regarding my fiance's parents. She is estranged from her biological mom, who left when she was a young kid. She doesn't know the mother's birthdate and can't contact her for this information. Her dad had sole legal custody and remarried. The stepmom raised her, but did not legally adopt her. Is it sufficient to put the stepmom in the parent information section, or do we need her biological mother (perhaps omitting the birthday info)?

2) I'm technically self-employed as a contractor, but have worked remotely for the same company as a main client since she and I lived in China 8 years ago, through me living in Thailand, US, and traveling through multiple other countries for prolonged periods. Should I just (a) write Self-employed and use my home address in the US for the whole 8-year period, (b) write self employed and do a new section for each place I lived, or (c) write this client's info as employer?

3) Less important, but does her China address on the letter of intent need to be in US address formatting or can it be its normal Chinese format?

Thanks!

*** Threads on filling out I-129f merged. Please keep all further questions on I-129f in this thread only ***

4 hours ago, rks_emelander said:

do we need her biological mother (perhaps omitting the birthday info)?

Biological. Put unknown 

write self employed and do a new section for each place I lived

I would personally do this 

3) Less important, but does her China address on the letter of intent need to be in US address formatting or can it be its normal Chinese format?

I would do Normal local format 

• powerpuff changed the title to A couple Form I-129F questions (Merged threads)
On 4/16/2024 at 12:18 PM, rks_emelander said:
My fiance and I are filling out the 1-129F form this week before I go abroad. A couple questions came up--

1) The most important one is regarding my fiance's parents. She is estranged from her biological mom, who left when she was a young kid. She doesn't know the mother's birthdate and can't contact her for this information. Her dad had sole legal custody and remarried. The stepmom raised her, but did not legally adopt her. Is it sufficient to put the stepmom in the parent information section, or do we need her biological mother (perhaps omitting the birthday info)?

2) I'm technically self-employed as a contractor, but have worked remotely for the same company as a main client since she and I lived in China 8 years ago, through me living in Thailand, US, and traveling through multiple other countries for prolonged periods. Should I just (a) write Self-employed and use my home address in the US for the whole 8-year period, (b) write self employed and do a new section for each place I lived, or (c) write this client's info as employer?

Thanks!

My fiancé (beneficiary) is also Chinese. I wrote her Chinese address in US format. It was no problem. Our petition was approved and her K1 visa interview at Guangzho next month. Good luck brother.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.