Dragonsarereal

Suggestions for flights and international couriers from the UK to Wyoming (well, Denver, CO)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi there!

With my lab tests sorted and a couple more documents almost here, my VISA is about to show up in April. So this is a good time to look again at flights for me and my daughter and to see pricing of boxes.

I think that after reading the packaging guides from 2019 on this forum Trans Global Express is the best and cheapest. However I am totally confused with their system for quotes and I will have to get into a chat with them. Last year I was able to get a quote but now I am only getting a dimmed page with random numbers. Strange. I am thinking of moving only 20 boxes or so, due to the cost being on average £75 or more each (quote from 2023).

Now a quick look at Google flight showed me that If I traveled this week I would be paying £200 to fly to the USA.

However in June we are talking about minimum £800 each.

We can't move until my daughter's GCSEs (May 23rd) and also my house sale must be completed if possible so I won't have issues with last minute pull outs etc.

If you have any suggestions re. couriers and flights, I am open to listen to everyone.

I will be bringing documents, clothes, no furniture or heavy items, photographs etc.

I cannot put all the important stuff in a single suitcase.

I also have 2 full frame cameras - they are heavy and expensive and I don't dare putting them in a ship for 2 months.

thanks for your suggestions!

I assume your daughter isn't moving (just as you mention 'my visa' rather than 'our visas')? So she's just visiting with you - could she maybe visit another time so you could travel before flights increase in price?

Have a look at MoveCube, that may work for you. 

Good luck. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

I assume your daughter isn't moving (just as you mention 'my visa' rather than 'our visas')? So she's just visiting with you - could she maybe visit another time so you could travel before flights increase in price?

Have a look at MoveCube, that may work for you. 

Good luck. 

Yes WE are moving.......this is why I need to wait for the flight.....

1 minute ago, Dragonsarereal said:

Yes WE are moving.......this is why I need to wait for the flight.....

Ah, ok. It was just that you’ve only ever said ´my visa/interview/medical’ etc (singular) - so assumed only you had applied for a visa and not your daughter too. 

Not sure there’s a lot you can do on the flight then, I sympathise as I had the same last year (waited for my children to finish their GCSE’s & A Levels before moving). We moved in July as my children didn’t want to rush off straight after exams, they wanted to relax a bit with friends first. But the only thing I can suggest is that you search using a tool like Skyscanner, using their whole month search, to find the cheapest date. And don’t look for one way flights, which are always more expensive - get a return on the cheapest possible date then just cancel it. 

Good luck. 

Look at the ita matrix,or Skyscanner, to see the calendar of cheapest flights.  Return tickets are usually cheaper than one-ways, but not always.  Consider leaving/arriving at other airports in the area. 

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

BA flys direct to Denver

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
8 hours ago, appleblossom said:

Ah, ok. It was just that you’ve only ever said ´my visa/interview/medical’ etc (singular) - so assumed only you had applied for a visa and not your daughter too. 

Not sure there’s a lot you can do on the flight then, I sympathise as I had the same last year (waited for my children to finish their GCSE’s & A Levels before moving). We moved in July as my children didn’t want to rush off straight after exams, they wanted to relax a bit with friends first. But the only thing I can suggest is that you search using a tool like Skyscanner, using their whole month search, to find the cheapest date. And don’t look for one way flights, which are always more expensive - get a return on the cheapest possible date then just cancel it. 

Good luck. 

Thank you! Yes I did say my visa because (as I said in previous posts) it was mine and not hers that was having delays.

the medical wasted two months by requiring a tuberculosis lab test for a non existent lung condition.

i will now search for return flights instead!

Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

BA flys direct to Denver

They do but they are also very expensive. I will look for united airlines too as this is mostly what my boyfriend has used.

i am curious to see how we will make all this happen - my boxes cannot arrive until I am there and I don’t have a ticket yet as completion for house sale is not on a specific date one can forecast.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dragonsarereal said:

They do but they are also very expensive. I will look for united airlines too as this is mostly what my boyfriend has used.

i am curious to see how we will make all this happen - my boxes cannot arrive until I am there and I don’t have a ticket yet as completion for house sale is not on a specific date one can forecast.

I found them sometimes cheaper and a lot less hassle than going through Chicago.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
On 4/13/2024 at 10:27 PM, appleblossom said:

Good luck. 

many thanks! Could I ask another question as you have made it safely to the other side now? Yesterday I spent a long while asking questions to a rep from Seven Seas Worldwide. He said that 85% of packages are opened and inspected at arrival. Anything newer than 6 months in their view is seen as something to tax. He asked me to ensure I put only used clothes. That would be interesting for wedding clothes which by definition must be immaculate at arrival. Anyways, I am concerned about what can I send safely. I have two full frame cameras, one will fly with me, but the other and all the lenses and tripod will travel in my removal boxes. My tripod is 4 years old but looks new, I am probably adding my invoices inside but I am feeling worried about hidden charges if they think items are less than 6 months old (they are 100% not!). I also worry about vitamins and supplements, of which I have some 10 small boxes (you know, the monthly ones) and they ask to bring only prescription medication? Any suggestions would be great...thanks and I hope you are enjoying your new life there....

3 hours ago, Dragonsarereal said:

many thanks! Could I ask another question as you have made it safely to the other side now? Yesterday I spent a long while asking questions to a rep from Seven Seas Worldwide. He said that 85% of packages are opened and inspected at arrival. Anything newer than 6 months in their view is seen as something to tax. He asked me to ensure I put only used clothes. That would be interesting for wedding clothes which by definition must be immaculate at arrival. Anyways, I am concerned about what can I send safely. I have two full frame cameras, one will fly with me, but the other and all the lenses and tripod will travel in my removal boxes. My tripod is 4 years old but looks new, I am probably adding my invoices inside but I am feeling worried about hidden charges if they think items are less than 6 months old (they are 100% not!). I also worry about vitamins and supplements, of which I have some 10 small boxes (you know, the monthly ones) and they ask to bring only prescription medication? Any suggestions would be great...thanks and I hope you are enjoying your new life there....

I'm afraid I can't help with that, as we had a 40ft shipping container - I'm sure you're moving in to a home with your husband that is already full, but we had an empty house and didn't want the cost of buying everything new, and we also wanted the kids to have all of their familiar stuff around them to help them settle. So I'm not sure about packages unfortunately. But as long as your clothes don't have labels on them, I think putting them as used on the inventory would be fine. And we did bring vitamins, our packers had no issue with that. 

Good luck! Hope the move goes smoothly. 

2 hours ago, Dragonsarereal said:

Many thanks! Of course there will be no labels on my clothes. I am sending less than 20 due to the high prices! And I am planning to being familiar objects so we are not forgetting our Italian British background!

Just another thought, might be worth checking photos to see if you have any of you wearing the clothes in question from more than 6 months ago. That would soon solve any query. 

Timeline

I see! Do you think that they would call me to a big depot hundreds of miles away from the final destination,to ask where each garment comes from!?That would be interesting, lots of my clothes are old and many ….I actually made them. One is from my mum and dates 1963. 😂 should I then bring the photos in a digital form with me? Never heard of this but you never know and I cannot risk to leave my clothes here as my body shape and Size is of children….so nothing for adults fits me nicely. 😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.