smcfendez

i-130 Filing online- credit card payment issue

6 posts in this topic

I am filing online and I tried to submit my completed i-130 last night. I reviewed the whole application and all evidence, did the "review and submit" and then I clicked to pay by credit card. It took me to the Pay.gov site and I entered all my information exactly as it appears only card which still has over three years validity. I clicked to submit the payment and the little blue wheel just spun and spun. I waited over three minutes and then it threw me back to the USCIS and said something like, "Your form was not submitted due to the payment being rejected or declined". I logged into my credit card account and it shows a USCIS charge pending for the amount of the i-130- no fraud alert or anything, just pending. I called my credit card company to see if perhaps it was flagged and I wasn't notified, but they told me there were no flags or concerns with the transaction on their end. They told me it would take 5 days to see if that pending payment would go through or be declined.

I don't know what to do- if the payment goes through but they haven't accepted my form, what do I do about my money? I don't want to be out for twice the fees. If it doesn't go through, I don't understand what the problem would have been. I do live in China, so I was running a VPN at the time, but I didn't get any warnings about that- does online payment not work with a VPN?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 4/9/2024 at 7:00 PM, smcfendez said:

I am filing online and I tried to submit my completed i-130 last night. I reviewed the whole application and all evidence, did the "review and submit" and then I clicked to pay by credit card. It took me to the Pay.gov site and I entered all my information exactly as it appears only card which still has over three years validity. I clicked to submit the payment and the little blue wheel just spun and spun. I waited over three minutes and then it threw me back to the USCIS and said something like, "Your form was not submitted due to the payment being rejected or declined". I logged into my credit card account and it shows a USCIS charge pending for the amount of the i-130- no fraud alert or anything, just pending. I called my credit card company to see if perhaps it was flagged and I wasn't notified, but they told me there were no flags or concerns with the transaction on their end. They told me it would take 5 days to see if that pending payment would go through or be declined.

I don't know what to do- if the payment goes through but they haven't accepted my form, what do I do about my money? I don't want to be out for twice the fees. If it doesn't go through, I don't understand what the problem would have been. I do live in China, so I was running a VPN at the time, but I didn't get any warnings about that- does online payment not work with a VPN?

Thanks in advance!

Some card companies, (Capital One, for example) will initially decline many online charges, until you acknowledge their email or text about it.  Call the number on the back of the card, and explain what you are doing.  The agent can flip a switch that allows the charge the next time you try.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Posted (edited)

I did call my card company- it is Capital One. They said it was never flagged or anything. I've just checked my CC account again and the charge has now gone through, but my online USCIS acct says I still need to pay for the form- they didn't allow it to be submitted initially because it said the payment was declined.

I can't seem to find who to contact at USCIS about this. What do I do in this situation??

UPDATED TO ADD: I just logged out of my USCIS account and logged back in, went to the end and tried to submit the form again and this time it accepted it and didn't prompt for payment! It must have registered that the payment had now gone through!

Edited by smcfendez
Update- added information

7 hours ago, smcfendez said:

I did call my card company- it is Capital One. They said it was never flagged or anything. I've just checked my CC account again and the charge has now gone through, but my online USCIS acct says I still need to pay for the form- they didn't allow it to be submitted initially because it said the payment was declined.

I can't seem to find who to contact at USCIS about this. What do I do in this situation??

UPDATED TO ADD: I just logged out of my USCIS account and logged back in, went to the end and tried to submit the form again and this time it accepted it and didn't prompt for payment! It must have registered that the payment had now gone through!

Thank you for trying it out and posting result here.

Man, that makes me want to use the personal check again when I file the next form...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, OldUser said:

Thank you for trying it out and posting result here.

Man, that makes me want to use the personal check again when I file the next form...

Yes, there are still glitches filing online.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.