aa1979

Not having insurance long long time ago

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi, this question is for a friend of mine who intends to get engaged and file for I-129f. 

She is in her 40's right now, and she had a problem with not having insurance while driving when she was so young and immature. She thinks she was around 18 (does not remember if she was younger or older than 18). She is doing very well at this point and has a very good stable job.   She barely recalls that she had to pay a fine for this matter.  She does not remember if she was arrested because of this issue (possible?). 

Could this have any impact on her application?  Or would they view this as that she was young and immature? Should she mention it in the petition? What if she was arrested at the time for this issue for less than a day or something until she saw the judge the next day to pay the fine?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
29 minutes ago, aa1979 said:

Hi, this question is for a friend of mine who intends to get engaged and file for I-129f. 

She is in her 40's right now, and she had a problem with not having insurance while driving when she was so young and immature. She thinks she was around 18 (does not remember if she was younger or older than 18). She is doing very well at this point and has a very good stable job.   She barely recalls that she had to pay a fine for this matter.  She does not remember if she was arrested because of this issue (possible?). 

Could this have any impact on her application?  Or would they view this as that she was young and immature? Should she mention it in the petition? What if she was arrested at the time for this issue for less than a day or something until she saw the judge the next day to pay the fine?

Any traffic fines under 500 dollars does not have to be mentioned unless it's drug or alcohol related. Ask your friend if it shows up on driving record. Sounds like it was handled in traffic court. 

7 minutes ago, wildbug100420 said:

Any traffic fines under 500 dollars does not have to be mentioned unless it's drug or alcohol related. Ask your friend if it shows up on driving record. Sounds like it was handled in traffic court. 

Even in the background questions at the end of the application? She still does not mention it in that section?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, aa1979 said:

Even in the background questions at the end of the application? She still does not mention it in that section?

I think you need more information from the friend. But the instructions are quite clear 

Which country was this in? Some countries would treat driving without insurance as a criminal offence and then yes, it absolutely must be mentioned. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, appleblossom said:

Which country was this in? Some countries would treat driving without insurance as a criminal offence and then yes, it absolutely must be mentioned. 

The American citizen is my friend here, who plans to apply for the fiancé.  It happened here in the US. You think this is not "a traffic violation"?  I understand it is criminal but speeding is criminal too and I think it says in the inistructions that anything traffic for less than $500 fine is excluded. What do you think?

Edited by aa1979

6 minutes ago, aa1979 said:

The American citizen is my friend here, who plans to apply for the fiancé.  It happened here in the US. You think this is not "a traffic violation"?  I understand it is criminal but speeding is criminal too and I think it says in the inistructions that anything traffic for less than $500 fine is excluded. What do you think?

If this is the petitioner, then it won't have any impact at all then. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Operative words in the question is ARRESTED  or CONVICTED

Most traffic violations are nor arrests unless they are accompanied by something serious like an accident and person is charged with a more serious crime like a DUI,   

What is the ds160 question for arrest?

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though you are subject to a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action? This includes all arrests or detentions, including those at the border and by Customs and Border Patrol.

8 minutes ago, aa1979 said:

Technically speeding violations are not criminal (it all depends on circumstances..  like being chased by the police and etc... ) but whatever is in the person's background will show up.. no matter how old it is.

The person you said is USC..I would tell her, she could call her county clerk's office and ask for a certificate of deposition..

Timeline
4 hours ago, Gary Rich said:

Technically speeding violations are not criminal (it all depends on circumstances..  like being chased by the police and etc... ) but whatever is in the person's background will show up.. no matter how old it is.

The person you said is USC..I would tell her, she could call her county clerk's office and ask for a certificate of deposition..

yes,  agree , my speeding ticket from 2004 showed up when i went to marry  in 2010  /  some states never take these off

I understand what you all are saying.  However, in the I-129f form, it says specifically have ever violated a law then it says exclude traffic citations with fines less than $500).  So, I am thinking if there is a citation with a fine of a $100, then we answer the question "no". 

Yes it is on the record, No we are not hiding it, but there question is specifically saying ignore traffic violations that are 500 dollars or less.

Am I correct with this chain of thought?

Timeline
On 3/29/2024 at 6:22 PM, aa1979 said:

I understand what you all are saying.  However, in the I-129f form, it says specifically have ever violated a law then it says exclude traffic citations with fines less than $500).  So, I am thinking if there is a citation with a fine of a $100, then we answer the question "no". 

Yes it is on the record, No we are not hiding it, but there question is specifically saying ignore traffic violations that are 500 dollars or less.

Am I correct with this chain of thought?

yes,  the question says arrested and/or convicted

yours is a traffic violation / not an arrest

5 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

yes,  the question says arrested and/or convicted

yours is a traffic violation / not an arrest

Exactly.. ( you know the saying.. sometimes people get them both confused..)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.