Carlos Flores

Can I add $1000 in cash to my Tax return ? (Merged threads)

9 posts in this topic

I filed the petition for my husband's green card in 2022. I am an American citizen and when I sent the package of documents to USCIS to adjust my husband's status also send the I-864. At that time my household was two, so I perfectly met the limit required by the poverty guidelines. Now, more than two years later, we still haven't had the interview, my son is born and my household is 3. According to the poverty guidelines I must earn $31075 Unfortunately I got $31000 whit w2 And 2000 in cash. Will I have problems because I have no way to verify that I won $2000 in cash? 

2 minutes ago, Carlos Flores said:

I filed the petition for my husband's green card in 2022. I am an American citizen and when I sent the package of documents to USCIS to adjust my husband's status also send the I-864. At that time my household was two, so I perfectly met the limit required by the poverty guidelines. Now, more than two years later, we still haven't had the interview, my son is born and my household is 3. According to the poverty guidelines I must earn $31075 Unfortunately I got $31000 whit w2 And 2000 in cash. Will I have problems because I have no way to verify that I won $2000 in cash? 

Yes it may be a problem. You were close to minimum and fell below the minimum. I'd start looking for plan B, e.g. joint sponsor.

3 hours ago, Carlos Flores said:

You can’t add money you “won” to your salary.   

You will need to find a qualified joint sponsor.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
17 hours ago, Carlos Flores said:

Unfortunately I got $31000 whit w2 And 2000 in cash. Will I have problems because I have no way to verify that I won $2000 in cash? 

You can declare the $2,000 as Other Income and pay taxes on it, assuming there are any.  Note that it's not Other Earned Income, but the Other Income that appears on Schedule 1.  

I think $33,000 is still too close to $31,075 so you should still find a joint sponsor.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

I filed the petition for adjustment of status for my husband in 2022 (i-130 i484)I sent the I-864 afodavit of support in that same year. I live in Seattle and the interviews here are taking too long, we are still waiting for the interview. In November 2023 I had a child so the government paid me 4 months of my salary but I did not receive 1099 .

I received $4000 from Washington Paid Family Leave but they do not send 1099 or w2 for this income . If I decide not to put this income on my 2023 tax return I would only have $31580, According to the USCIS poverty guide for 2024, I need to earn $32275. For what I would be missing $695 If I decide to put in the $4000 I would exceed the limit that USCIS is requesting, However, I do not know if USCIS will take this $4000 as income  because I do not have a 1099 or w2 to support it, I only have direct deposits in my bank account. 

The question is, should I use this $4000 from Washington PFL to reach the 2024 limit? Or should we look for joint sponsor ? 

1 hour ago, Carlos Flores said:

I filed the petition for adjustment of status for my husband in 2022 (i-130 i484)I sent the I-864 afodavit of support in that same year. I live in Seattle and the interviews here are taking too long, we are still waiting for the interview. In November 2023 I had a child so the government paid me 4 months of my salary but I did not receive 1099 .

I received $4000 from Washington Paid Family Leave but they do not send 1099 or w2 for this income . If I decide not to put this income on my 2023 tax return I would only have $31580, According to the USCIS poverty guide for 2024, I need to earn $32275. For what I would be missing $695 If I decide to put in the $4000 I would exceed the limit that USCIS is requesting, However, I do not know if USCIS will take this $4000 as income  because I do not have a 1099 or w2 to support it, I only have direct deposits in my bank account. 

The question is, should I use this $4000 from Washington PFL to reach the 2024 limit? Or should we look for joint sponsor ? 

Even if you could use this payment in your income, you'd be too close to below the requirement. Joint sponsor is the way to go in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Carlos Flores said:

Joint sponsor.   Seattle is a HCOL area, and even with the PFML added in, that is not a living wage around here.

• powerpuff changed the title to Can I add $1000 in cash to my Tax return ? (Merged threads)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.