Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,242 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

You can apply for Canadian passport from US later if you want to use your country passport for US immigration.

Check this page and complete the wizard(questions) to see how you can get Canadian passport from US

How to apply for an adult passport in Canada - Canada.ca

Thank you!
During this long AP process, do we will have to inform USCIS, NVC OR Montreal consulate that we just got Canadian citizenship? or it doesnt matter at all for them?

Edited by tas005
Thank you!

1 hour ago, northface said:

you could monitor the MTL web page to estimate time frame :

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/

As of Feb 15,2024, they touched the cases of Nov, 2023, 3 months ago. for high piority IR1 class

This page is for people awaiting interview. It wouldn’t have anything to do with someone who has already interviewed. 

27 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Hypothetical: if the sponsor changes address during AP (and the address was where the green card and SSN card would've been mailed to), is there a way to update it so that everything gets sent to the new one? 

Does it require contacting NVC? Consulate? If consulate, I assume it adds even more processing time lol

Since your cases is in consulate , you need to upload the I-864 from new sponsor including all supporting documents and also send them to consulate once AP is done. It will add the processing time if they verify documents by new sponsor.

Edited by Leo The Great

Just now, Leo The Great said:

Since your cases is in consulate , you need to upload the I-864 from new sponsor including all supporting documents and also send them to consulate once AP is done. It will add the processing time if they verify the documents from new sponsor.

Same sponsor (me), I was wondering what happens if my US address changes. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, cala2023 said:

The officer ended my husband's interview by telling him: "we'll get you to the US as soon as possible." It's been almost 10 months for us. 

As “soon as possible” is not nearly soon enough!!! Is your husband a Canadian citizen?  Travel triggered the refusal/DS-5535?

Timeline
19 minutes ago, CarmenD said:

As “soon as possible” is not nearly soon enough!!! Is your husband a Canadian citizen?  Travel triggered the refusal/DS-5535?

Yes, he is a born Canadian citizen of European descent. We assume travel must have triggered it. He has an extensive travel history between US and Canada due to his job, other than that nothing out of the ordinary, just travel for vacations to resort destinations.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, cala2023 said:

Yes, he is a born Canadian citizen of European descent. We assume travel must have triggered it. He has an extensive travel history between US and Canada due to his job, other than that nothing out of the ordinary, just travel for vacations to resort destinations.

Wow .. we have identical situation/circumstances.  My husband is a born Canadian citizen of European (Hungarian) descent as well.  He not only traveled to the US for work, but to Mexico, Colombia, Malaysia & the Caribbean over almost a 20 year span

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Same sponsor (me), I was wondering what happens if my US address changes. 

For you, it won't matter as the petitioner.  For the beneficiary, if they haven't received their passport and crossed the border yet, they can update the address information when they activate their visa at the border.  If they move after they have activated their visa, they are required, irrespective of whether they have documents in hand or not, to file form AR-11 within 10 days of moving.  The AR-11 should also trigger those documents to be sent to the correct address, should being the operative here.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

2 minutes ago, mam521 said:

For you, it won't matter as the petitioner.  For the beneficiary, if they haven't received their passport and crossed the border yet, they can update the address information when they activate their visa at the border.  If they move after they have activated their visa, they are required, irrespective of whether they have documents in hand or not, to file form AR-11 within 10 days of moving.  The AR-11 should also trigger those documents to be sent to the correct address, should being the operative here.  

Interesting...

On the DS-260 we had to specify my address and all, where the SSN/GC would be mailed to. I guess if it can be adjusted at border crossing when (one day) we have the visa in hand, then perfect. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Interesting...

On the DS-260 we had to specify my address and all, where the SSN/GC would be mailed to. I guess if it can be adjusted at border crossing when (one day) we have the visa in hand, then perfect. 

Once the visa is issued and the greencard fee is paid, you can specify when you pay the fee, where it needs to be sent.  

It's embarrassing that the process takes so long that you, the petitioner, could theoretically move a number of times before the visa is issued.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

I don't know if I should be happy or sad that no one had an earlier interview date than me on here...🤷‍♂️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.