12 posts in this topic

• Crazy Cat changed the title to Fee waiver for i-751 (Split)

This really sucks because I mailed my application on March 9. The first date of my 90 day window was March 10. The application was delivered on March 11 so technically they received it within the required 90 day window. However, I've seen some people getting rejected for filing I-751 "too early" even though they filed it on the first or second day of the 90 day window. If they respond to my filing on May saying that I filed too early and reject it I would be down by almost 2 months. And if I have to refile on May and they take another 2 months and reject it again for maybe, an error, I'll be so screwed. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

I hope you calculated the 90 day window correctly.  I'm not sure why people file I-751s so early.  Waiting a few days makes no difference at all.....and it eliminates the worry.  You are still early.  It's been only 2 weeks.  The fee waiver can delay the receipt notice too. Within the next month you should receive a response from USCIS.  Hang in there.  Once you get through this I-751, the process gets very easy. 

According to the USCIS instructions, they have to receive the I-751 application within the 90 day window before the GC expires. It doesn't say it has to be signed or mailed within those 90 days. 

I used the calculator from the USCIS website. My GC expires on June 8. According to the USCIS calculator, the 90 days started on Sunday March 10 so I signed it on Saturday March 9 and also put that same date and mailed it that same day. I knew USPS wouldn't deliver it on the same day, especially since the next day was a Sunday and they don't do Sunday deliveries.

As expected, the package was delivered to the USCIS PO Box on Monday March 11 at 6:22 am. 

Sadly, a few days after I mailed my application I read on reddit that some people filed and mailed their application on the first or second day after the 90 day window opened and their package still got rejected for "filing too early" even though they actually mailed it within the 90 days. That's what has me worried. Most likely that's why I haven't gotten any news from them. It's been 2 weeks after it got delivered and I haven't received any text, nothing showing up on my online account and I've called several times and they always say: "Nothing is showing up on our system yet. You have to wait at least 30 days".

So they probably rejected my application and are still processing the package to return it back to me. If I had read about that before, I would've waited a week or two after the 90 days started. But now it's too late. 

Edited by Crazy Cat
Added links

10 hours ago, EarlyAnxious said:

According to the USCIS instructions, they have to receive the I-751 application within the 90 day window before the GC expires. It doesn't say it has to be signed or mailed within those 90 days. 

I used the calculator from the USCIS website. My GC expires on June 8. According to the USCIS calculator, the 90 days started on Sunday March 10 so I signed it on Saturday March 9 and also put that same date and mailed it that same day. I knew USPS wouldn't deliver it on the same day, especially since the next day was a Sunday and they don't do Sunday deliveries.

As expected, the package was delivered to the USCIS PO Box on Monday March 11 at 6:22 am. 

Sadly, a few days after I mailed my application I read on reddit that some people filed and mailed their application on the first or second day after the 90 day window opened and their package still got rejected for "filing too early" even though they actually mailed it within the 90 days. That's what has me worried. Most likely that's why I haven't gotten any news from them. It's been 2 weeks after it got delivered and I haven't received any text, nothing showing up on my online account and I've called several times and they always say: "Nothing is showing up on our system yet. You have to wait at least 30 days".

So they probably rejected my application and are still processing the package to return it back to me. If I had read about that before, I would've waited a week or two after the 90 days started. But now it's too late. 

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. It's only been two weeks.

You can read this recent thread where somebody was worried their packet got lost and filed for second time:

Even in the worst case scenario, if USCIS rejects your packet ans returns it, you'll still have close to 2 months to file again.

Please prepare for long waits in this process. I-751 is painfully slow overall. My I-751  took close to 21 months. And there was a gap after biometrics reuse to decision of 15 months when there was no status change, no letter, nothing from USCIS! There was a 6-8 weeks gap at the beginning after sending the packet, and close to 6 months gap to get biometrics reused update.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***One comment edited by VJ Moderation to remove outside links***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, EarlyAnxious said:

So they probably rejected my application and are still processing the package to return it back to me.

It's about a month too early to reach that conclusion.  Looks like they received it within the window.  Patience is still the key.  Do NOT send another package before hearing their response. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Posted (edited)

I finally got it! It took exactly 21 days to get the case number for my I-751 with the fee waiver request.

I logged into my online account this morning and found that my case had been added! They still have not sent the text or email notification.

The Receipt Notice is still not available for download.

I-751 Timeline:

03/09/24 - Mailed via USPS to Carol Stream, IL

03/11/24 - Delivered at Carol Stream, IL

04/01/24 - Case was added to my online account

Edited by EarlyAnxious

Timeline
1 hour ago, EarlyAnxious said:

I finally got it! It took exactly 21 days to get the case number for my I-751 with the fee waiver request.

I logged into my online account this morning and found that my case had been added! They still have not sent the text or email notification.

I-751 Timeline:

WooHoo!!!  That's great.  

2 hours ago, EarlyAnxious said:

I-751 Timeline:

That's quick! Good luck !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.