Reese123

B2 Visa Timeline

18 posts in this topic

Could someone help me with the math on a B2 visa? I visited the US from May 12th-June 9th, 2023 and then again November 30th,2023-January 11th 2024. If I visit again in May-August 2024, how many days am I allowed for that trip?.... Considering the calendar and rolling year. 
Thanks!

Edited by Reese123

• Reese123 changed the title to B2 Visa Timeline
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That depends on the PoE and how long they admit you for, usually 6 months but it could be a day or not at all.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

34 minutes ago, Boiler said:

That depends on the PoE and how long they admit you for, usually 6 months but it could be a day or not at all. 

Is there anything one can do to avoid not being allowed across. May-August probably looks suspicious but I won't be working while down there visiting. 

Timeline

US is the land of the 2 week holiday so you may need to explain that

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 hours ago, Reese123 said:

Is there anything one can do to avoid not being allowed across. May-August probably looks suspicious but I won't be working while down there visiting. 

Show how you can 1.) Afford the trip 2.) Explain why you can miss so much time off work - so probably bring a letter from your work place explaining or a contract.  3.) show other ties to your home country 

Is the May - August trip: May 1 - August 31 or May 31- August 1 or are you trying to maximize the stay without being turned away? 
Personally I would book a trip of similar length to the first May trip as this indicates consistency/ you’re taking a trip during a regular holiday season… 

5 hours ago, Reese123 said:

May-August does look suspicious. 

Let me help by putting playing the role as a CBP officer at your pet of entry. Because you seem to be extending your stay on every trip and your trips to the US seem to be frequent,  I would have questions. 

Like: 

"How are you able to take so much time away from home?" If you do not have a job that will make things even more suspicious. 

"Where will you be staying during your visit here?" If you say a person I would follow up with who that person is. 

"Do you have any relatives here?"

"Do you know anyone in the US?" If you answer yes to this question I would follow up with, "Who are they to you?"

You may have noticied in this line of questions that I had an agenda to it. Your length of stay and the fact that you are repeatedly returning has the suspicion of a love interest here in the US. And this will cause red flags. 

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I would expect to be questioned or taken into secondary on the next visit… especially if you’ve been questioned before: 

This person with a similar-ish travel history was questioned in the third visit even though 2 trips were only 2 weeks and warned about frequent trips…

2 hours ago, Redro said:

Show how you can 1.) Afford the trip 2.) Explain why you can miss so much time off work - so probably bring a letter from your work place explaining or a contract.  3.) show other ties to your home country 

Is the May - August trip: May 1 - August 31 or May 31- August 1 or are you trying to maximize the stay without being turned away? 
Personally I would book a trip of similar length to the first May trip as this indicates consistency/ you’re taking a trip during a regular holiday season… 

I will be visiting my fiance from the beginning of May to whatever date in August will keep me under the allotted time. I will be taking my daughter with me who will have a travel document from her dad stating that she needs to be back in Canada on a certain date. As well as, I can get a letter from my employer. 

2 hours ago, Unlockable said:

May-August does look suspicious. 

Let me help by putting playing the role as a CBP officer at your pet of entry. Because you seem to be extending your stay on every trip and your trips to the US seem to be frequent,  I would have questions. 

Like: 

"How are you able to take so much time away from home?" If you do not have a job that will make things even more suspicious. 

"Where will you be staying during your visit here?" If you say a person I would follow up with who that person is. 

"Do you have any relatives here?"

"Do you know anyone in the US?" If you answer yes to this question I would follow up with, "Who are they to you?"

You may have noticied in this line of questions that I had an agenda to it. Your length of stay and the fact that you are repeatedly returning has the suspicion of a love interest here in the US. And this will cause red flags. 

Thank you for this. I will be visiting my fiance from the beginning of May to whatever date in August will keep me under the allotted time. I will be taking my daughter with me who will have a travel document from her dad stating that she needs to be back in Canada on a certain date. As well as, I can get a letter from my employer. 

10 minutes ago, Reese123 said:

Thank you for this. I will be visiting my fiance from the beginning of May to whatever date in August will keep me under the allotted time. I will be taking my daughter with me who will have a travel document from her dad stating that she needs to be back in Canada on a certain date. As well as, I can get a letter from my employer. 

Are you going to be crossing a land border or flying to the US? 

20 minutes ago, Reese123 said:

As well as, I can get a letter from my employer. 

Make sure the letter says that you won't be expected to work remotely - most employers won't give that much time off so I'd get him/her to clarify that too.

11 minutes ago, Reese123 said:

Most likely flying. 

So, you should get the standard 6 months regardless of how long you plan to stay in the US. I haven’t heard mention of many Canadians being refused entry and luckily you will encounter CBP before you board your flight so if any issues arise you won’t be turned around and out on the next flight home. 
No one can tell you how much time you’re “allowed” or how much time you’ve already used… CBP is capricious as individuals are using their own personal judgment to decide if you are abusing your ability to travel so freely to the US. 
Good luck! I would book time for the amount of time you have available to you and bring documentation showing both you and your daughter will be returning to Canada. 
Side question: is your daughter enrolled in school (will you be traveling while she is on vacation) or is she not of school age yet? Has your daughter traveled with you before or is this the first time she will be visiting your fiancé with you? 

39 minutes ago, Redro said:

So, you should get the standard 6 months regardless of how long you plan to stay in the US. I haven’t heard mention of many Canadians being refused entry and luckily you will encounter CBP before you board your flight so if any issues arise you won’t be turned around and out on the next flight home. 
No one can tell you how much time you’re “allowed” or how much time you’ve already used… CBP is capricious as individuals are using their own personal judgment to decide if you are abusing your ability to travel so freely to the US. 
Good luck! I would book time for the amount of time you have available to you and bring documentation showing both you and your daughter will be returning to Canada. 
Side question: is your daughter enrolled in school (will you be traveling while she is on vacation) or is she not of school age yet? Has your daughter traveled with you before or is this the first time she will be visiting your fiancé with you? 

I believe Canadians are only allowed access to the US as a visitor for something like 184 Days?

My daughter will be enrolled in school for the fall. This is the first time that she will be travelling out of Canada. I will be getting a travel document signed by her dad in front of a commissioner for oaths as that is what was suggested to me to help with authentication of the document at the border. 

Timeline
Just now, Reese123 said:

I believe Canadians are only allowed access to the US as a visitor for something like 184 Days?

My daughter will be enrolled in school for the fall. This is the first time that she will be travelling out of Canada. I will be getting a travel document signed by her dad in front of a commissioner for oaths as that is what was suggested to me to help with authentication of the document at the border. 

9 hours ago, Boiler said:

Depends on how many days are in the months but you want to stay a long time but not close to 6 months so who cares exactly how many days.

Just wondering what you do for a job, pretty unusual to get that much holiday. And I thought Schools went through to the end of June?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.