Sander1234

Seeking Advice on Affidavit of Support I-864 for CR1 Visa Process

7 posts in this topic

My wife and I are preparing for our move to the U.S. with a CR1 visa, following her I-130 petition for me. We're currently living abroad but planning ahead to avoid delays, even though we haven't reached the NVC stage yet. My wife is still considered domiciled in the U.S., as our stay overseas is temporary, and her address in the U.S. is with her parents, where we plan to live upon our arrival until we have found our own place. This address was also listed on our I-130 form.

Last year, my wife was completing her graduate studies and did not earn enough to meet the income requirements for sponsorship. As a result, her parents have agreed to be our additional sponsors. Since they file their taxes jointly, we're exploring the best approach for them to become sponsors:

• Form I-864A Use: Is it appropriate for my wife's parents to use Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, in our situation? If so, considering their joint tax filing, is it necessary for both parents to complete the form, or would only one parent suffice? Additionally, how would this choice affect the household size calculation for the I-864A form—would it be 3 if one parent fills it out, and 4 if both do?
  • Regular I-864 Form: Alternatively, could they opt for the regular I-864 form as joint sponsors instead? If choosing this route, how does it impact the household size calculation—would it then be considered 2 for the purposes of the I-864 form?
  • Comparison and Recommendation: Are there any advantages or disadvantages between choosing Form I-864A versus the regular I-864 form for our situation?

I appreciate any guidance or experiences shared, as we want to avoid any delays because of RFEs.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1.  Wife completes I-864 as Primary Sponsor with Household size of 2 (self and sponsored immigrant).

2.  One parent completes I-864 as Joint Sponsor with Household size of 3 (self, spouse, sponsored immigrant)

3.  Other parent (Spouse of Joint Sponsor) completes an I-864a as household member of Joint Sponsor to combine income with Joint Sponsor

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Thank you so much for your insights! I do have a concern, though, regarding potential contradictions between my wife's I-864 form and that of my in-laws. Specifically, my wife's I-864 would suggest that we're establishing a two-person household at her parents' address. Concurrently, her parents would be indicating a household size of 3, incorporating me as part of their joint household. Is this contradiction a problem?

For additional context, my wife is not considered a dependent of her parents for IRS purposes. The primary challenge in meeting the sponsorship income requirement stems purely from her recent graduate studies. Although she exceeded the necessary income threshold in the years before her graduate program (tax years 2021 & 2022), her 2023 tax return will reflect zero income due to her academic commitments. By the time we need to submit our Affidavit of Support around September this year, the most recent tax return required (2023) will unfortunately showcase this lack of income. Her current annual income for 2024 is again also just under the minimum requirement. Given these circumstances, we're leaning towards having her parents provide additional sponsorship to ensure we meet the income requirements.

The poverty thresholds for 2024 for a 3-person household is $25,820, so my in-laws showing an income of at least $32,275 would be sufficient in this case?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Sander1234 said:

Specifically, my wife's I-864 would suggest that we're establishing a two-person household at her parents' address.

That's OK. 

Concurrently, her parents would be indicating a household size of 3, incorporating me as part of their joint household.

That is correct as far a the count.

For additional context, my wife is not considered a dependent of her parents for IRS purposes.

Thus, not required to be part of their household.

The poverty thresholds for 2024 for a 3-person household is $25,820, so my in-laws showing an income of at least $32,275 would be sufficient in this case?

I don't see an issue.

Joint Sponsorship is quite normal.  Good luck.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Sander1234 said:

I do have a concern, though

Here is another similar thread from a couple years ago.  Note the replies from @aaron2020 and @pushbrk, who is, in my opinion, the source for all things I-864....and more.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The joint sponsor is not establishing a household that includes you.  You are counted simply because you are the intending immigrant.  That you plan to begin your life in the USA at the joint sponsor's house, is irrelevant.  You will see nothing on the form or in the instructions that talks about establishing any household.  Don't read thing in that are not there.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
5 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The joint sponsor is not establishing a household that includes you.  You are counted simply because you are the intending immigrant.  That you plan to begin your life in the USA at the joint sponsor's house, is irrelevant.  You will see nothing on the form or in the instructions that talks about establishing any household.  Don't read thing in that are not there.

Good point.  I could have made that clearer.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.