Lone

Don't understand consular officer decision after spouse interview

23 posts in this topic

My spouse recently had his visa interview and I must say we are baffled. I'm the petitioner I made $about $14000 on my part time job from 12/2022 and is still currently employed. I also had $14,900 survivor benefits from my late husband. I even added the value of my home as an asset if the other income was not sufficient. The consular still insist we need a joint sponsor. I really cannot find a joint sponsor. The consular' s office won't give any details I write and ask questions and they never give a straight forward answer. So frustrating.

11 minutes ago, Lone said:

My spouse recently had his visa interview and I must say we are baffled. I'm the petitioner I made $about $14000 on my part time job from 12/2022 and is still currently employed. I also had $14,900 survivor benefits from my late husband. I even added the value of my home as an asset if the other income was not sufficient. The consular still insist we need a joint sponsor. I really cannot find a joint sponsor. The consular' s office won't give any details I write and ask questions and they never give a straight forward answer. So frustrating.

When you say ‘value of my home’, is this your primary residence? Or a second property? 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Lone said:

What is your current income now? Do you still have the job?  2022 is the past.  You do not qualify using 2022 income.  Current income from a job, is calculated by multiplying your gross pay for a full pay period, times the number of pay periods in a full year.  $14k would be about $ 540 every two weeks  If you are still employed making the same, they your income is about 29k.  How many in your household?  Will the survivor benefits continue if you remarry?

The equity in your primary residence is not considered liquid.  While it is a part of your overall financial picture, or "totality of circumstances" it is not considered available to cover any income shortfall.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

6 minutes ago, Lone said:

I also want to add the consular asked for the joint sponsor, if I found one, to provide 2022 income tax.

If they are asking for a joint sponsor, you don’t really have a choice.   Without one, they are deeming your husband to be inadmissible per the public charge rule.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

If they are asking for a joint sponsor, you don’t really have a choice.   Without one, they are deeming your husband to be inadmissible per the public charge rule.

Correct.  I'll add that this decision on "public charge" is always a judgement call.  The income is above the minimum, but that is no guarantee.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lone said:

I understand that about the joint sponsor problem is I can't find one and it bothers me that my survivor benefits are not being looked at.

If your survivor benefits were clearly stated and documented in your affidavit of support, then they WERE considered along with everything else, including where you live.  The fact remains, meeting the minimum is not a guarantee.  Your income is marginal, and a judgment call has been made.  You overcome this only with a joint sponsor.  No qualified joint sponsor, means no visa.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Lone said:

So another consular in a different embassy could make a different decision. because I have seen posts and comments where other people with similar circumstances were approved. 

Correct, but you do not have a choice of Consular Officer or Consulate.  I said you're income is above the  minimum.  It is for everywhere but Alaska or Hawaii, but other places with high cost of living are more unofficially considered. In what State do you live?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

35 minutes ago, Lone said:

So another consular in a different embassy could make a different decision. because I have seen posts and comments where other people with similar circumstances were approved. 

It’s based on totality of circumstances.   Your age, and the beneficiary’s age probably played a part.

Can you improve your income?  Take on more hours, or get a full-time job?

It is expensive to sponsor immigrants, both on paper, and in practice.   Cost of living in the U.S. isn’t getting any lower.

Is it an African consulate?

Edited by SalishSea

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Lone said:

Georgia

OK, that's not a problem.  The totality of circumstances would also include your age, his age, and his earning capability, based on his past employment experience, and the country he's coming from.  Trying to help you understand here, but the reality is, what you need to understand is that a well qualified joint sponsor is required.

What is the exact wording the goes with the mention of a joint sponsor? Leave out any names.  Knowing that may or may not help.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.