Mikerivers

need help. Social security card was denied. K1

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, can you help me please we got an issue when we went to social security center because my wife got her ssn before our marriage and after that we went back to change her last name on her social security on 01/02/2024  for her social security card but we didnt receive the card. Ive called the social security and they said that to wait 14 business days, we waited but nothing on our mail so we decided to go back to the facility but they said you cannot get another card anymore because my wife i94 and passport is expired, should we wait until she gets her greencard and then apply again to change her last name to mine and get her social security card? (Btw ive already submitted my aos weeks before her 90 day expired)…

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***This topic moved to the Social Security Numbers forum.  One duplicate thread deleted***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Hello, can you help me please

1.we got an issue when we went to social security center because my wife got her ssn before our marriage and after that we went back to change her last name on her social security on 01/02/2024  for her social security card but we didnt receive the card. Ive called the social security and they said that to wait 14 business days, we waited but nothing on our mail so we decided to go back to the facility but they said you cannot get another card anymore because my wife i94 and passport is expired, should we wait until she gets her greencard and then apply again to change her last name to mine and get her social security card? (Btw ive already submitted my aos weeks before her 90 day expired)… and will her SSN be changed? 

2. the Social security person says that her middle name was different, we told to the person that if we can change her middle name but he said that they cannot do that otherwise it will be flagged. he told to us that she need to wait until she gets her greencard permanent resident. is it still possible to update her name on social security card? 🧐

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Mikerivers said:

Hello, can you help me please

1.we got an issue when we went to social security center because my wife got her ssn before our marriage and after that we went back to change her last name on her social security on 01/02/2024  for her social security card but we didnt receive the card. Ive called the social security and they said that to wait 14 business days, we waited but nothing on our mail so we decided to go back to the facility but they said you cannot get another card anymore because my wife i94 and passport is expired, should we wait until she gets her greencard and then apply again to change her last name to mine and get her social security card? (Btw ive already submitted my aos weeks before her 90 day expired)… and will her SSN be changed? 

2. the Social security person says that her middle name was different, we told to the person that if we can change her middle name but he said that they cannot do that otherwise it will be flagged. he told to us that she need to wait until she gets her greencard permanent resident. is it still possible to update her name on social security card? 🧐

That is correct, you now need to wait for either your EAD, employment authorization, or greencard in order to update your SSA for anything.  Then you can go back to the SSA with your marriage certificate, and the EAD or GC,  and change the name and remove the restrictions.  I'm pretty sure there will be no issue to change the middle name too as long as you did that on your greencard and EAD.  The latter is what we did, and I plan to go back to the SSA to change the middle and last name. You also need proof of identity at the SSA office. If her passport is expired, I'm not sure, but I think that could be a problem unless you have another government ID such as a driver's license. 

Edited by W199

Timeline

okay thank you for this info. ill wait until her EAD or greencard then.  about her passport already expired is the greencard or EAD enough to get a drivers license. we live in texas btw. and once we get that can we finally apply for the social security card/last name update?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
4 hours ago, Mikerivers said:

okay thank you for this info. ill wait until her EAD or greencard then.  about her passport already expired is the greencard or EAD enough to get a drivers license. we live in texas btw. and once we get that can we finally apply for the social security card/last name update?

Texas is EAD/ GC for DL

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
19 hours ago, Mikerivers said:

The registry of motor vehicles in your State will have a list of acceptable and required documents to get the drivers license. And for sure, a greencard will be fine.  If you plan to got for the RealID, you need to carefully prepare for the additional docs needed to prove residency. For example, my registery did not accept the USCIS receipts for proof of address because they said it is part of her visa used to prove her status. They didn't accept the mailing from the social security office, because that was part of the social security card used to prove her SSN. They didn't accept a bill from the gas company, because their stupid system could only add her as "c/o" on the bill.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.