GEOntificator

DL possible in NC with I-797?

10 posts in this topic

From official website (acceptable docs):

I-797 Notice of Action receipt notice

Not acceptable for REAL ID
Must be accompanied by supporting immigration documentation (I-551, I-766, I-94)

Source: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/help/Pages/proving-legal-presence.aspx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, form general Immigration Discussion- as similar threads are discussed here~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
8 hours ago, OldUser said:

From official website (acceptable docs):

I-797 Notice of Action receipt notice

Not acceptable for REAL ID
Must be accompanied by supporting immigration documentation (I-551, I-766, I-94)

Source: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/help/Pages/proving-legal-presence.aspx

I saw that but did not know what to make of it. I recently read that someone got it with just I-797 and was wondering of other's experience in NC in particular.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, kvito28 said:

I saw that but did not know what to make of it. I recently read that someone got it with just I-797 and was wondering of other's experience in NC in particular.

So much of the answers to your question  depend on info you havent given us 

The I797 is accepted under certain conditions only. We need a little more info on the current status in the US for the person who is wanting to get a NV drivers licence 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

So much of the answers to your question  depend on info you havent given us 

The I797 is accepted under certain conditions only. We need a little more info on the current status in the US for the person who is wanting to get a NV drivers licence 

My mother who arrived on a B2 visa is adjusting status via concurrent filing. She never overstayed or violated the terms of her visa. Due to changes in circumstances related to our work we need a caregiver now and she decided to stay. We filed concurrently a few days ago and the credit card was charged. I am assuming we will get I-797s any day now. We would like her to be able to drive in case emergencies arise while she cares for the newborn.

We filed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131, I-864 and the medical I-693 all at once. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, kvito28 said:

My mother who arrived on a B2 visa is adjusting status via concurrent filing. She never overstayed or violated the terms of her visa. Due to changes in circumstances related to our work we need a caregiver now and she decided to stay. We filed concurrently a few days ago and the credit card was charged. I am assuming we will get I-797s any day now. We would like her to be able to drive in case emergencies arise while she cares for the newborn.

We filed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131, I-864 and the medical I-693 all at once. 

Thank you. She can try with her passport, I797 and I94 that you can get online from cbp records. I haven’t looked if she also needs a ssn.. which she cannot get yet.. not how long the dl would be valid for.  It would not be Real Drivers licence but that won’t be an issue  at this point.  May only be until the end of her allowed b visa stay on this entry. Plan B will be needed.. uber, taxi, neighbour, friend. Let us know how you go 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

Thank you. She can try with her passport, I797 and I94 that you can get online from cbp records. I haven’t looked if she also needs a ssn.. which she cannot get yet.. not how long the dl would be valid for.  It would not be Real Drivers licence but that won’t be an issue  at this point.  May only be until the end of her allowed b visa stay on this entry. Plan B will be needed.. uber, taxi, neighbour, friend. Let us know how you go 

I have my own DL appt in the coming days and once I arrive I will ask there. I will update this post about what I learn. 

we have a plan B but obviously it would be convenient if she could drive. Not a necessity by any means. 

Hopefully we get lucky with the EAD timeline.

Timeline
2 hours ago, kvito28 said:

I have my own DL appt in the coming days and once I arrive I will ask there. I will update this post about what I learn. 

we have a plan B but obviously it would be convenient if she could drive. Not a necessity by any means. 

Hopefully we get lucky with the EAD timeline.

Just checked.   She needs to have SSN in hand. Cant get that until the EAD or GC are in hand 

This is one of the big drawbacks of doing AOS. 😓

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Just checked.   She needs to have SSN in hand. Cant get that until the EAD or GC are in hand 

This is one of the big drawbacks of doing AOS. 😓

That blows.. I appreciate you checking this info. Hopefully EAD comes soon. We checked off the SSN box there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.