JonLu

Request for Evidence Help - Form I-693 Incomplete

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello - I am going through the AOS Green Card process after coming to the U.S. on a K-1 visa and getting married. I recieved a Request for Evidence letter in the mail detailing that I have submitted an incomplete I-693 Form and that I will need to get another medical examination for the medical doctor to give me a packet to send to USCIS, this will need to be done by March 2024.

When I was in Brasil for the Medical exam on 1/17/2023, I only recieved a DS-3025 Vaccination Documentation Worksheet. Which is what I included in the AOS packet latter after getting married, but I remember back in Brazil, the Medical clinic said that they'd mail info packet (presumably the I-693) to the embassy... and I went along to my visa interview and passed it just fine.

The RFE letter I got is vauge and does not explicitly tell you what was wrong with the original I-693 form, but it does mention that civil surgeons must use the 03/09/2023 eddition and that USCIS will not accept the 07/19/2022 version if the civil surgeon signed the form after May 30, 2023.

Do I really need to have another medical exam? Is there anything I can do legally?

If I must get another medical exam here in the U.S., can I use a copy of the DS-3025 (Vaccination Documentation Worksheet) as my vaccination records, since what I have from Brazil is an old portugese card for vaccination that will need to be translated... again. That old vaccination card is literally what got copied to the DS-3025 I have... why would I need to do a translation again if I haven't had any new vaccinations since?

This is my 2nd RFE and I am incredibly frustrated but beyond tired with the process to even muster emotion. It's been a long taxing, confusing 3yrs.

Edited by JonLu

*** Topic moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures ***

Is if an actual Request for Evidence or is it a courtesy letter? Sometimes they auto send courtesy letters for the medical exam which can be safely ignored. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The i-693 is something you should have done before the AOS was submitted and you should have included a sealed envelope that the Civil Surgeon would have completed after it was signed by the applicant. Some are going to say that this isn't needed and that might be true in some cases, but the official advice give in the guide on this form notes that IF all vaccinations were NOT performed abroad, then this add'l medical exam and form is required. 

11.        I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status.I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status. If you are a K-1, K-2, K-3 or K-4 visa holder the I-693 instructions state that you are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485 is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. If you are missing any shots from your overseas medical a I-693 vaccination transcription is required to be completed by seeing a Civil Surgeon to have certain portions of the I-693 completed and have the Civil Surgeon certify the form (sealing the original in an envelope and giving you a copy).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/10/2024 at 8:42 PM, powerpuff said:

Then I suggest you simply get a medical exam done. It’s not worth the time and money to fight them. 

I second this. I would schedule an appt and do any follow up vaccinations immediately, then send all of that info back to them with the RFE before the expiration to reply. I wouldn't delay at all if you have any extra time too btw. Things come up scheduling those i-693 appts (speaking from my own experience a few weeks ago). I found it hard to find an actual place in my area that had any appts within the next month, that is unless I was willing to pay several thousand dollars elsewhere which I wasn't. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.