Towzer

Help - what VISA do i need ??

12 posts in this topic

Hello i live in Canada and I dont have a Canadian passport but I have a UK one

I also have a Canadian permanent resident card 

Im looking to land a job in the USA working as a soccer coach in a university and wanted to know what VISA i need and which one would be the "quickest"

Thanks 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The coaches I have met have been on a J1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

33 minutes ago, Towzer said:

Hello i live in Canada and I dont have a Canadian passport but I have a UK one

I also have a Canadian permanent resident card 

Im looking to land a job in the USA working as a soccer coach in a university and wanted to know what VISA i need and which one would be the "quickest"

Thanks 

Whichever one your future employer (or their immigration lawyers) decide they’ll sponsor you for. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Towzer said:

i heard the J1 visa is only for 3 months ? Not sure but i would be looking for something longer than this 

I am in Colorado and it is mainly a summer gig.

If you are looking for something more permanent then best to ask the University what they propose.

What are your qualifications?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Towzer said:

i heard the J1 visa is only for 3 months ? Not sure but i would be looking for something longer than this 

That’s not true, it would depend on the category but it’ll be longer than that usually. But as above, you are unlikely to have any say in the visa anyway, J1 is most likely but your employer will be able to tell you what visa they plan to petition you for. 

Timeline

UEFA A?, must admit I have no clue how they operate in Canada.

Anyway if a Uni is offering you a job then they will sort out the visa, a job without a visa is meaningless.

The other people to ask is your Agent. The guys I have met have been working for soccer camps, one stayed, found a USC to marry.

12 hours ago, Towzer said:

lots of Universities dont sponsor visas any more as well so if you dont have one or have applied for one your pooched

That doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you've got a green card then even if you already had a visa it would be tied to an existing employer, and it's not something you can apply for yourself either. So if some uni's don't sponsor visas then your only option would be to find one that does.

Good luck. 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Towzer said:

i think the Unis do this to avoid expenses and delays and to encourage locals to apply which i get but 90% of Universities looking for coaches ask if you need a visa or not and the ones i ticked to say YES i get an email from them disqualifying me 

Then you need to focus on the 10%

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.