mohtim

J1 waiver NIW-EB2 visa interview

19 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi Folks,

I am writing to seek your advice regarding the necessity of obtaining a J1 waiver for individuals who are not subject to Section 212(e), the two-year home residency requirement. My concern stems from a recent interview with a visa officer for my NIW-EB2 green card, who inquired about the J1 waiver despite my previous J1 visa explicitly stating that I am exempt from this requirement.

Given the critical nature of this matter and its potential impact on my ongoing processes, I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the following points:

1. Is it customary for individuals not subject to Section 212(e) to still require a J1 waiver? 

2. In light of the visa officer's query regarding the waiver, could this indicate a change in policy or an oversight in my specific case?

3. Understanding that processing times can vary, what is the typical duration for obtaining a J1 waiver under current processing conditions?

Your prompt response to these queries would be immensely helpful in navigating this situation and ensuring compliance with all pertinent regulations. 

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

MohTim

11 minutes ago, mohtim said:

Hi Folks,

I am writing to seek your advice regarding the necessity of obtaining a J1 waiver for individuals who are not subject to Section 212(e), the two-year home residency requirement. My concern stems from a recent interview with a visa officer for my NIW-EB2 green card, who inquired about the J1 waiver despite my previous J1 visa explicitly stating that I am exempt from this requirement.

Given the critical nature of this matter and its potential impact on my ongoing processes, I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the following points:

1. Is it customary for individuals not subject to Section 212(e) to still require a J1 waiver? 

2. In light of the visa officer's query regarding the waiver, could this indicate a change in policy or an oversight in my specific case?

3. Understanding that processing times can vary, what is the typical duration for obtaining a J1 waiver under current processing conditions?

Your prompt response to these queries would be immensely helpful in navigating this situation and ensuring compliance with all pertinent regulations. 

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

MohTim

You posted in Philippines forum.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Moved to Work Visas Forum***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

No, more likely a confusion.

Assuming you do not need a waiver then however long it takes to clarify matters. Waivers are not a given if needed and vary according to the reason why someone is subject to one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Boiler said:

No

No, more likely a confusion.

Assuming you do not need a waiver then however long it takes to clarify matters. Waivers are not a given if needed and vary according to the reason why someone is subject to one.

Yes I tried to make the visa officer understand that I don't need waiver but the officer insisted me to get that done if I wanted to get the visa in my passport. It took me more than one year to get the interview appointment for NIW-EB2 and then all medical test done.  Then again I need to do that J1-waiver which is really time consuming and might take 6 months or more due to COVID backlog. So frustrating !

Timeline

The visa in your passport will say if you are subject to 212e.

What were you doing on a J?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The visa in your passport will say if you are subject to 212e.

What were you doing on a J?

I was doing Postdoctoral Research in J1 visas  in the US and it clearly mentioned in the visa sticker that I am not subjected to 212e. I showed that to the the visa officer and the officer said yes I saw it but you still need the waiver. That actually made me quite surprised/confused !

Timeline

Is this the only J you have had?

Timeline
1 hour ago, mohtim said:

yes its the only J1 I have.

All I can think of is Consulate error. EB2 suggest you have a Lawyer and I know they have a way of accessing the Consulate and advising them of their error.

Timeline
8 hours ago, limegreenbowler said:

Who funded your program, and is your country and skill code on the Exchange Visitor Skills List? It’s possible a mistake was made before that the current consular officer caught. 

Its funded by the University in US and my DS2019 clearly stated not subjective to 212e. 

28 minutes ago, mohtim said:

Its funded by the University in US and my DS2019 clearly stated not subjective to 212e. 

But as someone else posted, this is not determinative. Are you on the EV skills list? If so, there’s a good chance someone missed it originally (especially if you’re not Irish but applied in Ireland, which has nothing on the list and so officers don’t look for it) but your current officer caught it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.