megaladon

Frankfort DCF Questions (Merged)

42 posts in this topic

Hello.  I do have questions about the Frankfurt DCF process.

1. Should I apply using the online, or with paper?  I was warned by someone who applied in early 2022 that my application would be delayed by 2 years if I used the online process, even if I select the consular processing path.  He said use the paper route which is faster, and instead email the consulate first, get approval to apply, and then apply using a paper application.  Is this information still accurate?

2. What happens if I have to move to a different apartment in Germany after I have submitted the I130?  My landlord could conceivably terminate the lease in the middle of the process.  i have heard that the mere act of moving and updating the address can precipitate a serious delay in processing of the application, from two to 10 years.  Therefore, I need to make a hard decision as to whether to apply now or move to a place with a longer term lease before I apply.

Thanks

Edited by Crazy Cat

• Crazy Cat changed the title to Frankfurt DCF (Split)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

****This post was split from an existing thread***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, megaladon said:

Hello.  I do have questions about the Frankfurt DCF process.

1. Should I apply using the online, or with paper?  I was warned by someone who applied in early 2022 that my application would be delayed by 2 years if I used the online process, even if I select the consular processing path.  He said use the paper route which is faster, and instead email the consulate first, get approval to apply, and then apply using a paper application.  Is this information still accurate?

2. What happens if I have to move to a different apartment in Germany after I have submitted the I130?  My landlord could conceivably terminate the lease in the middle of the process.  i have heard that the mere act of moving and updating the address can precipitate a serious delay in processing of the application, from two to 10 years.  Therefore, I need to make a hard decision as to whether to apply now or move to a place with a longer term lease before I apply.

Thanks

Welcome to Visa Journey!!

1.  Step 1 is to contact the consulate and request that they accept your case. 

2.  You must have exceptional circumstances to qualify for DCF

3.  Do NOT file an I-130 online with USCIS.  A consulate cannot accept a case if an I-130 has already been submitted to USCIS. 

Good luck.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, megaladon said:

i have heard that the mere act of moving and updating the address can precipitate a serious delay in processing of the application, from two to 10 years. 

You didn't hear that here on VJ.  That just doesn't make any sense. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

On what basis do you qualify for DCF?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Welcome to Visa Journey!!

1.  Step 1 is to contact the consulate and request that they accept your case. 

2.  You must have exceptional circumstances to qualify for DCF

3.  Do NOT file an I-130 online with USCIS.  A consulate cannot accept a case if an I-130 has already been submitted to USCIS. 

Good luck.

Thank you.  Would I have exceptional circumstances?  I live and work in Germany and my wife lives in a different foreign country.  She cannot join me in Germany without the Green Card due to Germany's restricted country list, but I can't move back to the USA due to my job in Germany.  We have been separated since marriage due to the circumstances. Does that qualify as exceptional circumstances?  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, megaladon said:

Thank you.  Would I have exceptional circumstances?  I live and work in Germany and my wife lives in a different foreign country.  She cannot join me in Germany without the Green Card due to Germany's restricted country list, but I can't move back to the USA due to my job in Germany.  We have been separated since marriage due to the circumstances. Does that qualify as exceptional circumstances?  

You have several issues:

1.  A Green Card is for living in the US.  You must have domicile or intent to re-establish domicile in the US as her petitioner.

2.  She can't DCF in Germany since she resides elsewhere.

3.  She can't DCF in her country since you reside elsewhere.

4.  What you posted does not appear, imho, to be an exceptional circumstance.  Separation is normal for US immigration. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline

I have not come across them approving such a case but you can always ask.

For arguments sake lets say they approved your request can she travel to Germany?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

What you CAN do is file an I-130 with USCIS about 18 months prior to returning to the US. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have not come across them approving such a case but you can always ask.

For arguments sake lets say they approved your request can she travel to Germany?

OP says he cannot return to the US.  It seems, to me, OP is seeking a way for his spouse to reside in Germany.  

To clarify, I do maintain a domicile and intent to return to the USA.  By living in Germany, I don't mean I'm a German resident.  I'm here under TESA and US Military orders.  It's not intended to be a permanent stay in Germany.  The plan is to bring her here to live with me while I'm in Germany then return to the USA when my contract here ends.  I don't know if this is exceptional circumstances, but I would have to quit my job to go back to the USA, which seems like an exceptional burden.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, megaladon said:

To clarify, I do maintain a domicile and intent to return to the USA.  By living in Germany, I don't mean I'm a German resident.  I'm here under TESA and US Military orders.  It's not intended to be a permanent stay in Germany.  The plan is to bring her here to live with me while I'm in Germany then return to the USA when my contract here ends.  I don't know if this is exceptional circumstances, but I would have to quit my job to go back to the USA, which seems like an exceptional burden.

It costs nothing to ask the consulate.  As I said, you are seeking a way for your spouse to reside in a country outside the US.

Edited by Crazy Cat

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

It costs nothing to ask the consulate.  As I said, you are seeking a way for your spouse to reside in a country outside the US.

Yes I will ask the consulate, but am using this forum to gather as much understanding before I contact them, to optimize my chances.

To clarify she will NOT be residing in Germany.  She will be accompanying me in Germany as a military dependent, or she may also choose go to the USA to work on her career as she cannot work in Germany legally if she is here with me.  In any case she will maintain a domicile in the USA as I do, and for the purposes of immigration will be a resident of the USA, not Germany, who happens to be physically present in Germany except for returning to the USA at least once per year and maintaining a domicle there.

Timeline

It doesn't work like that.  Please keep us informed.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline

A Green Card is for living in the US, not Germany. You become a Legal Permanent Resident, of the US.

I really do not see this working but how would she interview anyway in Germany for an Immigrant Visa to the US?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.