Camia07

i551 STAMP

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I’ve been waiting for my green card since 2019. And gotten the i551 / ADIT stamps few time already. 
When it got closer to the expiration date I contacted the USCIS to book an info pass appointment and was told it would be directly mail to me. 
I’ve been waiting but I still haven’t received it. Called them many times about it and had they apparently sent twice since I didn’t get the first one. Now they believe the issue comes from my mailing address even though I have the confirmation number of the address change.

When I first called them I specifically told them that I was planning on leaving the country at the end of the year which would give them over 1month to proceed my request.
i gotten confirmation by mail that my extension was approved and granted and should get to me whitin the next 10days. Unfortunately I had no choice but to leave the country for an emergency. Now, I find myself abroad with an expired stamp…

does anyone know what would be the next step to cross the border back? 

Sorry for the confusion! And thank you for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Sounds as if you have an I-751 pending.  Where are you right now?  If you can get to Canda or Mexico, you could enter by land. Otherwise, maybe a boarding foil from local consulate/embassy.  Just my thoughts

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

17 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Sounds as if you have an I-751 pending.  Where are you right now?  If you can get to Canda or Mexico, you could enter by land. Otherwise, maybe a boarding foil from local consulate/embassy.  Just my thoughts

Hi! Thank you for your quick response! 
I’m currently in Cairo, Egypt! 
I was thinking about the embassy as well hoping they got some type of temporary options just to fly back into the states.
I’m planning on calling the embassy asap so they have time to proceed my request… do you have any details on what I should ask specifically…?
This is very new to me! I appreciate your help! ( I’m going to looking into the « boarding foil » )
Thank you so much!!!!!

2 hours ago, Camia07 said:

Hi! Thank you for your quick response! 
I’m currently in Cairo, Egypt! 
I was thinking about the embassy as well hoping they got some type of temporary options just to fly back into the states.
I’m planning on calling the embassy asap so they have time to proceed my request… do you have any details on what I should ask specifically…?
This is very new to me! I appreciate your help! ( I’m going to looking into the « boarding foil » )
Thank you so much!!!!!

Boarding foil is what you need. It's not free however. Filing fee is $575 at the moment of writing.

Unfortunately I had no choice but to leave the country for an emergency. Now, I find myself abroad with an expired stamp…

Oops

does anyone know what would be the next step to cross the border back? 

Quickly invent a time machine, go back, and then request an urgent appointment with imminent travel within the next few days, meaning you would get given an in person appointment as a highest priority (the urgency of the travel dictates the speed).

Failing that, your only options right now are:

1) Wait and see if it does arrive while you are away, and get it FedEx'ed to you there. It's only a small piece of card. 

2) Fly to Canada or Mexico, and enter via a land border. They won't be happy, and will let you know they aren't happy, will take you to secondary to verify, but you will eventually be admitted.

3) Embassy for an I-131A boarding foil. Circa $600, plus a wait and a load of hassle. 

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

8 minutes ago, mindthegap said:

1) Wait and see if it does arrive while you are away, and get it FedEx'ed to you there. It's only a small piece of card. 

This depeneds on the risk tolerance. Knowing how often packages meant for Austria get shipped to Australia by mistake via FedEx, UPS etc...

On 12/8/2023 at 5:55 PM, OldUser said:

Boarding foil is what you need. It's not free however. Filing fee is $575 at the moment of writing.

On 12/8/2023 at 6:08 PM, mindthegap said:

Oops

Quickly invent a time machine, go back, and then request an urgent appointment with imminent travel within the next few days, meaning you would get given an in person appointm as a highest priority (the urgency of the travel dictates the speed).

Failing that, your only options right now are:

2) Fly to Canada or Mexico, and enter via a land border. They won't be happy, and will let you know they aren't happy, will take you to secondary to verify, but you will eventually be admitted.

3) Embassy for an I-131A boarding foil. Circa $600, plus a wait and a load of hassle. 

Hi ! Thank you for your help. 
I just called the embassy of Cairo and was told they’ve never heard of a Boarding foil before… and why not applying for an ESTA …? 

The guy gave me an email to reach to explain my case… 

Everything is so confusing !!! 

Thanks guys

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Camia07 said:

I just called the embassy of Cairo and was told they’ve never heard of a Boarding foil before…

I would love to know to whom you spoke.  Call back and give the person this link from the US Embassy in Cairo:

Boarding Foil - U.S. Embassy in Egypt (usembassy.gov)

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Camia07 said:

and why not applying for an ESTA

You don't qualify.

4 hours ago, Camia07 said:

I just called the embassy of Cairo and was told they’ve never heard of a Boarding foil before…

HUCA - hang up and call again. Not all agents are created equal. 

The info on an I-131A (commonly known as a boarding file) is HERE . You pay and fill in the form before taking it in person to the embassy - the instructions are there in that link. 

4 hours ago, Camia07 said:

and why not applying for an ESTA …? 

This alone demostrates the person you spoke to knows absolutely nothing.

Permanent residents are not eligible for ESTA, and if you tried, would more than likely be denied, and if not, it would almost certainly get picked up by the API.

This is not an option for you.

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

On 12/11/2023 at 3:37 PM, Crazy Cat said:

I would love to know to whom you spoke.  Call back and give the person this link from the US Embassy in Cairo:

Boarding Foil - U.S. Embassy in Egypt (usembassy.gov)

On 12/11/2023 at 7:58 PM, mindthegap said:

HUCA - hang up and call again. Not all agents are created equal. 

The info on an I-131A (commonly known as a boarding file) is HERE . You pay and fill in the form before taking it in person to the embassy - the instructions are there in that link. 

This alone demostrates the person you spoke to knows absolutely nothing.

Permanent residents are not eligible for ESTA, and if you tried, would more than likely be denied, and if not, it would almost certainly get picked up by the API.

This is not an option for you.

Hi! Thank you for those precious infos! I emailed as he recommended but still haven’t heard from them. 
I’m running out of time soon. 
So I looked into the link y’all provided! Thank you!
I’m planning on going tomorrow to the embassy to fill out the form! 

However sorry again for asking all these questions. 
I’m looking at that section.. I’m not sure which one I am… the first one «  lawful permanent resident, including with LOR conditions… »? Even tho my i551 stamps already expired..?IMG_2347.thumb.jpeg.8a7ce5907e9b6f3e1d6eda249c822667.jpeg

And then here… ? returning from temporary travel outside…. But None of my documents were lost, stolen nor destroyed and my EAD (Employment Authorization Document)  HAS expired already… 

I’m not sure which of these three categories I fall into…

IMG_2349.thumb.png.cfb8a571331d0e723ea82bb1ff5d8bc5.png
That statement make me slightly nervous too «  if you are a LPR, you must have been an LPR when you left the US and still be LPR when you return to the US » 

Am I still a LPR even tho the stamp expired…? 

Just want to make sure I’m doing it right and know better than the agent … lol 

Quite confused about this whole new process especially since it’s a $575 non refundable… 

Thank you again for taking the time to guide me through this! 

have a great day everyone!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Camia07 said:

Yes. Only the evidence of your status has expired.  You are a legal resident until an immigration judge says otherwise.

40 minutes ago, Camia07 said:

I’m planning on going tomorrow to the embassy to fill out the form! 

Cool, don't forget that with the I-131A, I am fairly sure you need to pay before taking it to file (as written in the 'where to file' box on the link).

I’m looking at that section.. I’m not sure which one I am… the first one «  lawful permanent resident, including with LOR conditions… »? Even tho my i551 stamps already expired..?

You had your I-551 because you filed an I-751, right? And the extension letter ran out, and you got an I-551 stamp, correct?

Then yes, you are an LPR. A conditional LPR, technically, but thats semantics as a conditional LPR is an LPR. 

Even tho my i551 stamps already expired..?

The stamp is evidence of your status, not the status itself. Only an immigration judge can terminate your status (or yourself by filing an I-407, which I'm fairly sure you haven't done). 

And then here… ? returning from temporary travel outside…. But None of my documents were lost, stolen nor destroyed and my EAD (Employment Authorization Document)  HAS expired already… 

I’m not sure which of these three categories I fall into…

Well, since there is no 'I'm an idiot who left the US without having proof of status and without consulting VJ first' option, you would select the first one, which is'

"Returning from temporary travel outside the United States of less than 1 year, and your permanent resident card (also known as a green card) has been lost or destroyed".

It technically hasn't but it would result in the same situation you are in - being stuck overseas with no current proof of status. Thats the closest option to your current predicament, the same as if you lost/someone stole your passport with your I-551 stamp in. 

The second option is applicable to those LPRs with re-entry permits (confusingly called an I-131, which is very similar to the permit you need which is an I-131A, but is a completely different thing),  who have been (legally) out of the US for more than one year and less than two years. This is not applicable to you. 

The third is for those who aren't LPRs and are travelling while on EAD, advance parole and other such similar status. This is not applicable to you.

That statement make me slightly nervous too «  if you are a LPR, you must have been an LPR when you left the US and still be LPR when you return to the US » 

Yes. Again, The stamp is evidence of your status, and not the status itself. You are a conditional permanent resident. You are a permanent resident up to and beyond that being adjudicated. Only an immigration judge can terminate your status (or yourself by filing an I-407, which I'm fairly sure you haven't done). 

Just want to make sure I’m doing it right and know better than the agent … lol 

Quite confused about this whole new process especially since it’s a $575 non refundable… 

In some ways it is designed to be confusing and opaque. How do you think these clowns make money? 

Yes, you do now know more than the agent, but stay humble. Be assertive, and firm is necessary, but humble, and remain calm.

You are a LPR, you have rights enshrined in law, and yes, you now do know more than the average person, thanks to this expensive lesson. 

Remember, there is still always the option of the cheapest flight to Canada or Mexico and entering via a land border.

Book the cheapest return you can find, to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver, find your way to the border, and then when in the US throw away (forget about) the return flight - it would be cheaper than booking a one way. 

*yes I know the OP is not an idiot and it is not a personal attack.  I'm posting it to emphasis the very real seriousness of their predicament. Hopefully it will assist someone else in future who searches for it, and prevent them ending up in the same situation. 

Edited by mindthegap

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.