fabsfabs

What is the next step after Green Card

15 posts in this topic

hello everyone. I have a question, I just received my green card. What are the steps to follow?... At the time of the application I putted the address of a friend in Texas as my permanent address, meaning that I necessarily have to arrive to Texas? Can I change the address? How do I get my driver's license?. Can I work immediately?

Do I have to pay any fee I get the stamp on the passport.

How do I get a  credit score

Thx

Go to uscis.gov and download the Guide for New Immigrants. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-618.pdf

Do explain - if you just received your green card that means you've entered in the US, were processed by immigration at POE and have paid for your green card if you've received it to the listed address (Texas). 

You can change the address online on uscis.gov - you actually HAVE TO notify uscis of your new address within 10 days of moving. 

Depending on which state you live in - google drivers license STATE

Credit score you get by opening bank account, credit card, utilities, getting a mortgage or another form of debt - car loan for example. Getting a job can help with all that.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

8 minutes ago, fabsfabs said:

Well actually I didnt enter to US yet. I have a stamp on my passport the visa. Can I notify to USCIS online or can I do at the Control when I enter to United States.

Thank you for the answer.

You haven't got your green card yet then, you've got your immigrant visa. You won't get your green card until after you've entered the US on that visa (usually about 1-3 months after you arrive). You can update the address when you arrive.

3 minutes ago, fabsfabs said:

Means I cant work or do anything  in the meantime?. How long does it take to get the SSN

It’s supposed to come automatically after you enter in about 10-14 days. However this is dependant on the entry agent clicking something correctly on their screen as they process you (apparently happens less than you’d hope…) Anyway I didn’t get mine after waiting 3 wks so went to my local SSN office and they processed it - I got it 8 days later 

18 minutes ago, fabsfabs said:

Means I cant work or do anything  in the meantime?. How long does it take to get the SSN

Of course you can. You'll be a green card holder on arrival, so can work in pretty much any job you like (unless it requires citizenship). Your visa will be endorsed on arrival and that acts as your green card for a year, so you can just use that until your plastic one comes in the mail. 

If you ticked the box on your I-130/I-140 to say you want the SSN sent automatically after you arrive then it should do. But as above, that doesn't always happen. Out of our family of 4, 3 arrived within 10 days, the other never turned up. It was my 18 year old daughters, and so we had to go a SSN office to get it sorted in person - it turned out that there is somebody else with exactly the same name and date of birth as her already in the US, so they assumed it was an error and cancelled the application. 😂

Just now, fabsfabs said:

Where, when and how I make the payment for the green card?

Are you sure you haven't paid already? Did you pay a fee at your interview? If not you should have been given a letter about paying it online. You can also pay when you arrive in the US. 

3 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Of course you can. You'll be a green card holder on arrival, so can work in pretty much any job you like (unless it requires citizenship). Your visa will be endorsed on arrival and that acts as your green card for a year, so you can just use that until your plastic one comes in the mail. 

If you ticked the box on your I-130/I-140 to say you want the SSN sent automatically after you arrive then it should do. But as above, that doesn't always happen. Out of our family of 4, 3 arrived within 10 days, the other never turned up. It was my 18 year old daughters, and so we had to go a SSN office to get it sorted in person - it turned out that there is somebody else with exactly the same name and date of birth as her already in the US, so they assumed it was an error and cancelled the application. 😂

Thank so so much for the answer. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
39 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Where, when and how I make the payment for the green card?

you can pay it as soon as you get your visa. check out this link https://my.uscis.gov/uscis-immigrant-fee it explains the preocedure

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, appleblossom said:

Are you sure you haven't paid already? Did you pay a fee at your interview? If not you should have been given a letter about paying it online. You can also pay when you arrive in the US. 

It is never paid at the interview.  

USCIS Immigrant Fee handout

At the time of your interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate, the DOS interviewing officer should have given you a USCIS Immigrant Fee handout. This document provides instructions on how to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee and includes your A-Number and DOS Case ID in the top right corner, as shown below. Make a copy of your USCIS Immigrant Fee handout or write down your A-Number and DOS Case ID and store it in a safe place. If you did not receive an immigrant data summary or a USCIS Immigrant Fee handout with your visa packet, contact the U.S. embassy or consulate that issued your visa to request a copy.

3 hours ago, fabsfabs said:

I did pay before I just get confuse watching some videos.

The fee is $220, and you pay online using the instructions provided when you received your immigrant visa.  It can be paid before or after you enter the US.  Your green card will be processed after you pay the fee AND enter the US.  

If you are immigrating to the United States as a lawful permanent resident, you must pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee online unless you meet 1 of the exemptions.

USCIS uses this fee to process your immigrant visa packet and produce your Permanent Resident Card (commonly known as a Green Card). We strongly encourage you to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee after you pick up your immigrant visa from the Department of State and before you depart for the United States.

You may also pay the fee after you arrive in the United States. If you arrive in the United States and haven’t yet paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee, USCIS will send you a payment notice with instructions on paying your fee. You will not receive your Green Card until you have paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee.

My wife's GC took about 3 weeks to arrive.  Officially, USCIS states it can take up to 90 days to receive the GC.

Your SSN will arrive in 3-4 weeks after you enter the US, if you selected that option on the DS-260.  If you did not get your SSN, or if you did not select that option, you can go to the SS administration office and show your endorsed visa.  

Most states require the SSN for the DL.  Check your state's DMV/RMV requirements.  You can temporarily drive using your foreign DL.  Each state has a requirement of getting that state's DL after XX amount of days being a resident of that state.

Edited by SteveInBostonI130

Hi everyone. Thank you for all the info.

My big concern is about the address where the papers are going to arrive. I used the address of my best friend at the moment I applied for the immigration visa. She just got cancer and she is moving to another state. Im planning to move to US in the next few months. What should I do ?

Should I tell the immigration police to change my address at that moment?

35 minutes ago, fabsfabs said:

Hi everyone. Thank you for all the info.

My big concern is about the address where the papers are going to arrive. I used the address of my best friend at the moment I applied for the immigration visa. She just got cancer and she is moving to another state. Im planning to move to US in the next few months. What should I do ?

Should I tell the immigration police to change my address at that moment?

Not sure who 'the immigration police' are? But as above, you can just update it when you arrive and/or update it online. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.