2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey I just went to the SSA and everything went well with applying for a SSN. She told me it would take about 3 weeks until I get my card. Now I’m wondering should I wait for my card and then send in my AoS or can I file my AoS already and in the i485 and the i765 I just answer that SSA hasn’t issued a SSN yet and I also don’t want a SSN issued through either of those forms. I kinda want to get my AoS in asap so I can work sooner vs later.

I’m a K1 visa holder.

Thank you for your help!

2 minutes ago, J0hann said:

Hey I just went to the SSA and everything went well with applying for a SSN. She told me it would take about 3 weeks until I get my card. Now I’m wondering should I wait for my card and then send in my AoS

Not necessary. 

or can I file my AoS already and in the i485 and the i765 I just answer that SSA hasn’t issued a SSN yet

Yes.

and I also don’t want a SSN issued through either of those forms.

You DO want a REPLACEMENT card issued to you after EAD or GC approval if you have changed your name through marriage on your EAD/AOS forms.

Also, your GC issued SSN card will be unrestricted not like your K1 or EAD which will be restricted. It's very important to get you UNRESTRICTED card.

Your K1 SSN will come in your maiden name.

Your EAD SSN will come in your Married name but will still be restricted.

Your GC SSN will come in your married name but be UNRESTRICTED.

I kinda want to get my AoS in asap so I can work sooner vs later.

I’m a K1 visa holder.

Thank you for your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.