coolKid1984

Is the Covid vaccine still required for K1/K2 and any recent experience if no Pfizer/Moderna in your country?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi guys,

My fiancee is in Russia, will be going to Warsaw for her interview, just cleared NOA2 and NVC and waiting for the embassy packet.  The question is, I am seeing different requirements online for the Covid vaccine, however, it appears the Warsaw embassy is saying a Covid vaccine by Pfizer or Moderna is required, that would mean 2 Moderna shots or 3 Pfizer shots with a month inbetween.  Russia does not have those vaccines.  If this is true, my fiancee would have to take her kid to something like Kazakhstan 3 times over a 3 month period to get the shots, which is obviously a huge burden.  So if you have recent experience going through Warsaw or a similar situation, please let me know what options you had and any advice.  Thanks in advance.

Having fun going through the K-1 process...

Why not get the medical exam in Moscow? Warsaw processed folks from Russia are allowed to do that, and they’ll be exempt from the COVID vaccines, as they are not offered in Russia. No real reason to get the exam in Warsaw if she is in Russia. 

you must enter the USA within six months of the medical exam. Pretty large window. Further, medical results may not be sent to the embassy instantly. If you’re on a Schengen visa, it’s going to be very tight to do all of the + visa processing time in that timeframe. 

Edited by ah-no

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I did not realize that if the vaccines are not offered in Russia, she'd be exempt, that is huge.  Will call them and confirm.  Thank you!

Having fun going through the K-1 process...

Timeline

Inside the topic of vaccines, is the beneficiary required to have all the listed vaccines from the vaccination records? For example:

COVID-19 (not for Russians)
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Influenza
Influenza type b (Hib)
Measles
Meningococcal
Mumps
Pneumococcal
Pertussis
Polio
Rotavirus
Rubella
Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids
Varicella

Does my wife need to have records for all of these for her medical exam? If so, what if she is missing some? Will she need to get them now before her medical exam?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

She can have titers taken, to see if she has antibodies.

If she has had vaccinations in the past but no records are on hand, she can visit her main doctor or health clinic to have a list drawn up.  Get two copies on clinic letterhead, stamped/signed.  Having this list may keep her from springing a leak* when getting the missing ones.

*If she needs more than a couple of shots or boosters, she should avoid drinking beer for a while afterward.  :P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Thanks, @TBoneTX always informative as usual!

Does anyone have a source of where to find info about the COVID vaccine not being required for Russians? I have searched in many places but can't find any besides here.

I also have an email out to the IOM clinic in Russia that does the Medical exams but they have not answered. Their website does not give any information about it. The only small snippet that mentions some sort of different situation on their site says:

"According to TI of USA for immigration health assessment it’s recommended to do accepted WHO vaccines such as Phizer, Moderna, Janssen, etc. Vaccines “Sputnik-V” and “Sputnik light” are considered and will be included in the Vaccination record form if done."

Does anyone have more info?

https://pl.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/medical-examination/

On this page from Warsaw Embassy it is stated:
"We recommend that residents of Russia and Belarus perform the medical examination in Moscow or Minsk."

"As of September 8, 2021, applicants who are processing their immigrant visa case in Warsaw may visit a panel physician in Moscow for the required medical examination."

If you go to this page and click the PDF in English that says information about the medication examinations, there it is written:

Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations on behalf of visa applicants are required to verify that visa applicants meet the vaccination requirement, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus and diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza, haemofilus influenzae type B (HIB), hepatitis A, hepatitis B, varicella, pneumococcal, rotavirus, meningococcal, as of 10/1/2021 also COVID-19 - including children 6 months and older (must be a vaccine approved for emergency use by the U.S. government or by the World Health Organization. If none of the approved COVID-19 vaccines are routinely available in the country where the panel physician practices, the “Not routinely available” reason should be documented).

Here is the link to the PDF, including info about the clinics and panel physicians that perform the exam in Moscow:
https://pl.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/IV-F11-ENG-Medical-exam-info-1.pdf

Not sure it can get clearer :)

Edited by ah-no

Timeline
3 hours ago, ah-no said:

https://pl.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/medical-examination/

On this page from Warsaw Embassy it is stated:
"We recommend that residents of Russia and Belarus perform the medical examination in Moscow or Minsk."

"As of September 8, 2021, applicants who are processing their immigrant visa case in Warsaw may visit a panel physician in Moscow for the required medical examination."

If you go to this page and click the PDF in English that says information about the medication examinations, there it is written:

Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations on behalf of visa applicants are required to verify that visa applicants meet the vaccination requirement, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus and diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza, haemofilus influenzae type B (HIB), hepatitis A, hepatitis B, varicella, pneumococcal, rotavirus, meningococcal, as of 10/1/2021 also COVID-19 - including children 6 months and older (must be a vaccine approved for emergency use by the U.S. government or by the World Health Organization. If none of the approved COVID-19 vaccines are routinely available in the country where the panel physician practices, the “Not routinely available” reason should be documented).

Here is the link to the PDF, including info about the clinics and panel physicians that perform the exam in Moscow:
https://pl.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/IV-F11-ENG-Medical-exam-info-1.pdf

Not sure it can get clearer :)

Thank you very much! @ah-no
I searched through their Embassy site but I guess I didnt do a good job of it. Thanks again!

Timeline

Just to add more info in case anyone reads this thread later on. I emailed the IOM (International Organization for Migration) Clinic in Moscow which is the place that currently does the Medical Exams for the interview, I asked if Russian Federation citizens need the COVID vaccine for U.S. Immigration. They answered: "Vaccination against Covid is not mandatory for RF citizens."

On 11/18/2023 at 11:15 AM, SnowColdIce said:

is the beneficiary required to have all the listed vaccines from the vaccination records?

For adult applicants up to 59 years old, only the following vaccinations are required -- Td/Tdap, MMR, Varicella, Hep B, Flu (seasonal), COVID (not for Russians).  Details here -- https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/vaccinations.html#tbl1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.