mashtates

Green card and airline travel - do we have to let airline staff know

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I recently got my Green Card. I travelled back to Canada to visit my family. I am heading back to the US in a few days. I am wondering at what point we present the green card when we fly home- I know we present it at customs but do we also have to present it to airline staff when checking in and boarding the plane? Or do we just check in as usual with our foreign passport and just present the GC at customs? 

Edited by mashtates

Usually, LPRs show GC to airline in order to board the plane to the US.

Being a Canadian citizen, you're in somewhat priviliged spot, as not only travel to the US is visa free, but also it doesn't require ESTA. I'd think the only people in your case who need to see your GC would be CBP on US soil or US customs officials at preclearance location in Canada.

Canadians would be able to comment on their experience.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Usually, LPRs show GC to airline in order to board the plane to the US.

Being a Canadian citizen, you're in somewhat priviliged spot, as not only travel to the US is visa free, but also it doesn't require ESTA. I'd think the only people in your case who need to see your GC would be CBP on US soil or US customs officials at preclearance location in Canada.

Canadians would be able to comment on their experience.

Thank you, also I should have clarified in my post that I will be going through customs at CBP preclearance at a Canadian airport 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
23 hours ago, mashtates said:

Thank you, also I should have clarified in my post that I will be going through customs at CBP preclearance at a Canadian airport 

Any time I traveled back to the US on GC I routinely handed over Swedish passport and GC when checking in. Most of that time I had NEXUS so the experience coming back from Canada was a bit smoother through preclearance, but airlines always wanted passport and GC regardless. Coming by land into the US CBP typically wanted to see NEXUS and GC together (I just scanned both cards driving through).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You need both documents.  The airline will need the passport and to scan your greencard.  The passport allows the airline to verify your identity and your citizenship and the greencard, your entitlement as a PR in the US.  The CBP officer may ask for both, but is most interested in your GC.  It's easiest to simply present both.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

• 3 months later...
Timeline

As an update I presented the green card and passport to the CBP agent and it went fine. I just handed him both documents. I did not have to show the green card to airline staff. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.