Crabbypatty

Interview scheduled for i-130 and I-485

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

@Crabbypatty, please keep us updated.  Please note any questions you are asked pertaining to the I-130.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I was asked I-130 related questions during AOS interview, followed by I-485 questions.

The I-130 questions were around the spouse and our relationship - how we met etc. I thought everybody gets them as part of AOS, no? The caveat though, I had both I-130 and I-485 filed together on paper and they're both pending at the time of interview.

Edited by OldUser

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

I was asked I-130 related questions during AOS interview, followed by I-485 questions.

The I-130 questions were around the spouse and our relationship - how we met etc. I thought everybody gets them as part of AOS, no?

This is interesting. Thank you for this input. Maybe this is what it is going to be for us too. Maybe others can share their experience on this as well? 

In addition: has anyone had a I-130 interview and can give advice on how to prepare for this or share some questions that were asked ? I’m just paranoid and worried that they might have doubts. I was expecting maybe for them to send us an rfe for the I-130, which would have been understandable, since we weren’t able to provide a huge lot of evidence given the short time and no social security at hand at the time of filing. We did gather a lot more evidence for the relationship since then ( shared bank account, joint lease, shared cellphone contracts etc etc) that we will bring to the interview of course. 

17 minutes ago, Crabbypatty said:

In addition: has anyone had a I-130 interview and can give advice on how to prepare for this or share some questions that were asked ? 

You need to know at least:

- full name of your spouse

- spouse's DOB

- how old is your spouse

- spouse's employer

- spouse's occupation

- date of marriage

- when and where you met

- names of spouse's close relatives: siblings, parents etc

- address where you live

- whether spouse was married before

- spouse's level of education

- where the spouse was born

In addition, many personal questions. The list will be too long to include, but some examples:

- on which side of the bed does your spouse usually sleep

- what time does your spouse typically leave to work

- what is spouse's favorite color

- what all languages your spouse can speak

- what car does your spouse drive

- what hobbies does your spouse have

- what did your spouse eat this morning for breakfast?

I'm surprised people don't talk about it. One of the things my lawyer did was running a couple of quick mock interviews with me and my US citizen spouse to ensure we answer questions correctly, consisely and with confidence.

Edited by OldUser

2 hours ago, OldUser said:

You need to know at least:

- full name of your spouse

- spouse's DOB

- how old is your spouse

- spouse's employer

- spouse's occupation

- date of marriage

- when and where you met

- names of spouse's close relatives: siblings, parents etc

- address where you live

- whether spouse was married before

- spouse's level of education

- where the spouse was born

In addition, many personal questions. The list will be too long to include, but some examples:

- on which side of the bed does your spouse usually sleep

- what time does your spouse typically leave to work

- what is spouse's favorite color

- what all languages your spouse can speak

- what car does your spouse drive

- what hobbies does your spouse have

- what did your spouse eat this morning for breakfast?

I'm surprised people don't talk about it. One of the things my lawyer did was running a couple of quick mock interviews with me and my US citizen spouse to ensure we answer questions correctly, consisely and with confidence.

Thank you, this was very helpful 

11 minutes ago, Crabbypatty said:

Thank you, this was very helpful 

Oh yes, forgot to tell, US citizen should know the same about you.

I'd say spend an hour with your spouse discussing these things to be on the same page.

Few other questions (I wasn't asked but apparently some get asked these very personal ones):

- Last time you were intimate with one another

- Whether you want to have kids or not

- Who and how pays the bills and rough amounts

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Fortunately I was only asked a couple of questions as I would have failed my adjustment interview miserably.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, Crazy Cat said:

@Crabbypatty, please keep us updated.  Please note any questions you are asked pertaining to the I-130.

Interview done. 

Some of the questions that was asked: 

- tell us about your relationship. How did you meet and where 

-when did your relationship start to become serious? (He wanted to know it as precise as possible) 

-when and where was the first meeting 

-where did my husband propose 

- did the ring fit?

-did I know he was going to propose? 

we Brought tons of evidence to the interview (picture albums, text messages, call logs) on top of life insurance, lease contract, utility bills etc.

he didn’t even want to see the picture albums, text messages and call logs) he took the rest and said this is more than enough. He said he would have approved the case without an interview already just by the pictures submitted with the initial forms „she sold it right there“ 

Our case was approved a day later. 

I have two very close relatives who did adjustment of status around the same time as me and they both got their case approved within 7 and 3 months without interviews. My case from submitting to approval took 8 months. 

Edited by Crabbypatty

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Crabbypatty said:

Interview done. 

Some of the questions that was asked: 

- tell us about your relationship. How did you meet and where 

-when did your relationship start to become serious? (He wanted to know it as precise as possible) 

-when and where was the first meeting 

-where did my husband propose 

- did the ring fit?

-did I know he was going to propose? 

we Brought tons of evidence to the interview (picture albums, text messages, call logs) on top of life insurance, lease contract, utility bills etc.

he didn’t even want to see the picture albums, text messages and call logs) he took the rest and said this is more than enough. He said he would have approved the case already just by the pictures submitted with the initial forms „she sold it right there“ without an interview. 

Our case was approved a day later. 

I have two very close relatives who did adjustment of status around the same time as me and they both got their case approved within 7 and 3 months without interviews. My case from submitting to approval took 8 months. 

Thanks for the update.  Congratulations!!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 11/6/2023 at 12:20 PM, OldUser said:

The I-130 questions were around the spouse and our relationship - how we met etc. I thought everybody gets them as part of AOS, no? The caveat though, I had both I-130 and I-485 filed together on paper and they're both pending at the time of interview.

And btw. This is exactly what was explained to us at the beginning of our interview. That it was going to be 130 related questions at first, followed by 485 questions. So I’m guessing this is a very normal procedure. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
On 12/21/2023 at 10:22 AM, Crabbypatty said:

And btw. This is exactly what was explained to us at the beginning of our interview. That it was going to be 130 related questions at first, followed by 485 questions. So I’m guessing this is a very normal procedure. 

Can you give examples of questions for 130 and 485? I have no idea. Thank you

Edited by Flamingjune

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.