JRoo

Has anyone provided evidence of UK divorce to the US embassy?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

i am applying for a CR1 visa directly to the US embassy in London. I was previously married and divorced before marrying my partner.

We had our interview today, and the US embassy told us that my UK divorce certificate was not an original document. (This is the Final Order I received from the UK courts, but I can only print it on normal paper and didn’t receive anything on official letterhead)

Has anyone provided a UK divorce certificate for a US visa? If so, how did you obtain the ‘original’ divorce certificate?

thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

England and Wales (including Scilly Isles and Isle of Wight): Available. Copies of "Decrees Nisi" (preliminary) and "Decrees Absolute" (final) of divorces in England and Wales may be obtained from the Principal Register, Divorce Registry, Room G45, Somerset House, Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London WC2A 2LL.

If the record is not held in the Principal Divorce Registry, the applicant will be notified of the address of the appropriate County Court from which to obtain the record.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Like you, I went through the DCF process in London. At the interview, I submitted the copy of my decree absolute that I obtained from my solicitor. This bore an official seal from the High Court, but the seal was a very simple ink stamp of endorsement. No problems whatsoever. If you used a solicitor for your divorce, perhaps you can contact them for such a copy. Alternatively, you'll need to get it through the Principal Registry, as outlined above. 

Good luck -- this is the very last hurdle and you're nearly past the finish line!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

17 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

Like you, I went through the DCF process in London. At the interview, I submitted the copy of my decree absolute that I obtained from my solicitor. This bore an official seal from the High Court, but the seal was a very simple ink stamp of endorsement. No problems whatsoever. If you used a solicitor for your divorce, perhaps you can contact them for such a copy. Alternatively, you'll need to get it through the Principal Registry, as outlined above. 

Good luck -- this is the very last hurdle and you're nearly past the finish line!

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I didn’t use a lawyer for my divorce, so the only version of the decree I received was online - it has the courts seal on the document but it’s digital so nothing in ink. I applied for an apostille to certify it. Will also try the principal registry. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.