rebeccajo

Who deserves a Gold Watch?

127 posts in this topic

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Well I think all us VJers do have a certain shelf life to us, unfortunately.

As we grow further from the process and the rules change...and there being people here with more up to date information and more current experiences....we will each cease to be as effective as we used to be here.

:no:

I know I read up on immigration weekly, if not daily. RJ does as well as other VJers. How can I be less effective if I still educate myself on the subject?

I know more about immigration now than I ever did when I was living abroad....

Edited by devilette

Filed: Other Timeline
Well I think all us VJers do have a certain shelf life to us, unfortunately.

As we grow further from the process and the rules change...and there being people here with more up to date information and more current experiences....we will each cease to be as effective as we used to be here.

There are always divides...the freshmen are timid, sophmores are gettin their feet, juniors are ballsy and think they're seniors, and the seniors think they run the place.

such is life really...

Meaning?

See above...I knew you'd want more of an explanation, lol.

Well, yeah, I did want an explanation. But not in a bad way - not to start an argument. And I mean that sincerely.

Shelf life? If people are interested in the process and study it, try to keep (at least somewhat) up to date - they are less effective?

Especially if they admit when they didn't know something with the process has changed? I mean it IS fluid and things change a lot.

Why can't the new and the old work together?

Edited by rebeccajo

So, how do you qualify for a gold watch here? :D

You're too new! Come back after you get AOS approved! :P:lol:

I'll be on the newbie side of the fence with my gummy bears, then. :lol:

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

In all seriousness, I don't think the new and the old can't work together. But I think the "new people" tend to see the "old folks" differently sometimes. It's true that as time passes policies and procedures are going to change, and the newbies may presume that what used to work before may not work as well now. However, that doesn't mean that the people who've been here longer, who are still willing to help, aren't going to want the knowledge or not do the research to be more up-to-date on that.

Some people also may be more intimidated by more seasoned folk here on the boards. But it definitely sucks when you want to help someone out and yet you're being put off.

Just my 2c from someone who's still rather new to the whole process. :)

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

i guess I am one of the "oldies" and I don't seem to notice people treating me any differently or taking my advice any less seriously...

one thing I have noticed is that newbies do get trod upon a lot.... they say one wrong thing and they are trounced upon...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
i guess I am one of the "oldies" and I don't seem to notice people treating me any differently or taking my advice any less seriously...

Look who's talking, you spring chicken. :P

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

one thing I have noticed is that newbies do get trod upon a lot.... they say one wrong thing and they are trounced upon...

That shouldn't happen. I think if we work on a 'tutorial' or 'introductory PM' that might keep it from happening.

Marilyn - many many times I have been told that I can't possibly understand how someone is feeling because my husband is with me now. I see that said to other people also.

I've also had people jump all over me the first time I post to them. And I'm not talking about me going in, posting in a snarky way. If I snark somebody, I better be prepared to get it back.

I see people tell other people to get out of threads!! It's unbelievable!! "Oh you don't belong here you didn't file in the same month" or "You're not from the same country".

Why are people so MAD?

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I can honestly say i knew nothing at all about immigration. But the Likes of the 'old timers' as some people seem to put it.....i'm not saying this in a bad way....rebeccajo, devilette and a few others on VJ have taught me ALOT and i feel i've grown knowledgewise, i never dreamed i could actually give advice ..i thought i would always be the one asking for it.

I dont claim to know everything there is about Immigration, far from it. I'm still learning, and will continue to learn.

So if it wasnt for the older members on VJ i dont know what i would have done without them.

So thank you, rebeccajo, devilette and the others who's name's i cant remember :blush:

Maria

Separated!!

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I also don't feel the divide. But then again I don't go much into the K1 or AOS so maybe I am missing it.

I don't have an idea of dialogue really, besides maybe some stuff in the filers thread that would suggest it, so I can only say from my limited perspective.

Just know that I am not pointing any fingers because I haven't seen many conversations relating to old vs new people but tips I'd say when dealing with it...

To remember the feeling of being separated and being so frustrated at times in the process, while talking to newbies. I remember when I was new, I was jealous of the people who already were together while I was going through a stressful process. :P

But I did respect the people who were here before me or who had more knowledge than me, though when I joined there were just about 1000 members on VJ. I am member # 1020 or something so there weren't even many people who could help me with my specific process( New Delhi consulate, etc). But those who could help were valuable! They mostly aren't even around anymore though. :(

Anyway, I would hope people would appreciate help given by people who have already gone through the process and are up to date on things. And also would hope some grace is extended to the newer people who are probably very frustrated right now learning about the process. :)

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

rebeccajo and devilette, YuandDan, Dr LHA among others, can back up their words with links to USCIS sites and memos or carefully point to previous experiencs. aussiewench was the same way. It has nothing to do with how long they've been here and everything to do with the fact that they got game.

They won't be around forever, but I hope that the standard doesn't become 'here's a random paragraph begotten by proctological extraction that contradicts what I say, why do you question me?'

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I tend to hold a higher regard for those who've been members here longer...especially the ones who've dedicated themselves to helping those just getting started on their visa journey. It seems natural to be apprehensive towards newer members until familiarity takes place.

Stina - I do remember. Horribly. What it was like to be away from my husband. I'm sure you do too.

I think you can also agree with me on this - once they are here - there are other issues we face as couples. Would you agree with me that it is almost impossible to describe (to those still separated) what those issues feel like? I find it really difficult to express to those still separated that my life isn't all sunshine and roses just because my wonderful husband and I are now together.

I also think maybe they think I am nuts because I still spend time on the site - like maybe he and I ought to be off in an isolated corner, mussing up the sheets all the time? :P

I learn a lot from new members. I learn a lot everyday. I learned two new things at WORK today. And one of them was from a lady who has been a legal secretary like - 20 more years than I have?

Lorelle used to talk about how much she actually CARED about other peoples cases. I feel much the same way. If an older member steps in to 'correct' a post - it's not because they want to 'be right' all the time. It's because they don't want someone to make a mistake.

I know, I know.....everyone should be responsible for their own case and look for more than one confirmation that something is right or wrong. But if there were no posts (from newer or older members - makes no difference) where information was righted, what would be the odds of CONFIRMING the correct answer?

Edited by rebeccajo