Muhammad Iqbal

Family based immigration ( For parents)

37 posts in this topic

Excellent replies.Helping me to understand the situation.

Let’s say, if petitioner gives affidavit that things are beyond his control to stay at present but will come back in the future and make America his permanent residence and sponsoring the parents is the first step or any other solution to this situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Muhammad Iqbal said:

Let’s say, if petitioner gives affidavit that things are beyond his control to stay at present but will come back in the future and make America his permanent residence and sponsoring the parents is the first step or any other solution to this situation.

Never heard of something like that. Are you all currently in Pakistan?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Muhammad Iqbal said:

or any other solution to this situation.

Don't sponsor your parents until you have moved back to the US to live.   Where are the parents right now?  What is their current immigration status?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

I think the Poster is the Parent, may be wrong.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, Muhammad Iqbal said:

You are petitioning family to reunite with them, that's the whole point of the visa - if you're actually petitioning them to move them to the other side of the world, then you don't meet the requirements and an affidavit won't make any difference IMO.

You need to wait until you have moved, once you've completed your studies. The good news is that sponsoring parents doesn't take too long compared to other family members, so your parents won't have long to wait once you do petition them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I think the Poster is the Parent, may be wrong.

Difficult to discern with a family account.  :)

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 10/13/2023 at 1:21 PM, Muhammad Iqbal said:

I-130 will be approved for parents without any problem. You will have to prove petitioner domicile during or before the interview. If the petitioner is not living in the United states at the moment, you have to submit the letter of intent signed by petitioner plus concrete evidence that petitioner will be moving permanently to US with intending immigrants. Concrete steps include, Opening an bank account in US, Transferring funds to it before your visa interview, register for voter list (He has to visit US to apply for state ID or driver's license) and register for school to pursue further education or attempt to find a job while being in your country of stay). Permanent address or place to stay in US after arrival is another factor considered by CO. I have once success story where the petitioner moved to his parent country of origin at the age of 3 years. Filed I-130 from foreign country and got approved in 8 months.  He went to US before submitting application to NVC to open a bank account and to apply for state ID/voter registration  and return to his parent home country after that. Their parent were approved at nvc stage(Letter of intent, bank account) and granted visa based on letter of intent, college registration, US bank account with fund transfer. 

You will need to submit  I-864, Tax transcript, W-2/1099 form from Joint Sponsor (JS) in addition to petitioner.

Having said that, it will be discretion of consular officer to accept the Proof or Domicile or not.

Please look at following

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html

• The sponsor intends in good faith to establish his or her domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission to the United States.
Edited by Leo The Great

42 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

I-130 will be approved for parents without any problem. You will have to prove petitioner domicile during or before the interview. If the petitioner is not living in the United states at the moment, you have to submit the letter of intent signed by petitioner plus concrete evidence that petitioner will be moving permanently to US with intending immigrants. Concrete steps include, Opening an bank account in US, Transferring funds to it before your visa interview, register for voter list (He has to visit US to apply for state ID or driver's license) and register for school to pursue further education or attempt to find a job while being in your country of stay). Permanent address or place to stay in US after arrival is another factor considered by CO. I have once success story where the petitioner moved to his parent country of origin at the age of 3 years. Filed I-130 from foreign country and got approved in 8 months.  He went to US before submitting application to NVC to open a bank account and to apply for state ID/voter registration  and return to his parent home country after that. Their parent were approved at nvc stage(Letter of intent, bank account) and granted visa based on letter of intent, college registration, US bank account with fund transfer. 

You will need to submit  I-864, Tax transcript, W-2/1099 form from Joint Sponsor (JS) in addition to petitioner.

Having said that, it will be discretion of consular officer to accept the Proof or Domicile or not.

Please look at following

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html

• The sponsor intends in good faith to establish his or her domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission to the United States.

One more addition

1. Age of petitioner >= 21 years before filing I-130

2. Petitioner is not required to file US taxes if income does not meet IRS return filing criteria. In that case explanation would be enough at nvc stage.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return

You may attach print of page that says that petitioner is not required to file US taxes after answering all questions in wizard although it is not required just explanation will be enough at nvc stage.

Edited by Leo The Great

Hi friends,

Is it possible to file I-130 petition for the parents without petitioners presence in America.

Petitioner will come to America before the decision is made on I -130. and establish domicile requirements to be presented for the interview. 

In this whole scenario parents will be residing in America from the day first when petition will be filed.

Regards:

1 minute ago, Muhammad Iqbal said:

Hi friends,

Is it possible to file I-130 petition for the parents without petitioners presence in America.

Petitioner will come to America before the decision is made on I -130. and establish domicile requirements to be presented for the interview. 

In this whole scenario parents will be residing in America from the day first when petition will be filed.

Regards:

What address is the petitioner listing for himself and what address is he listing for parents?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Muhammad Iqbal said:

Parents will be in America therefore it will be American local address. At the time of filing the petitioner will be living in Pakistan therefore Pakistani address.

On what basis will the parents be in America?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Muhammad Iqbal said:

Of course on visa. 

Which one?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.