Butter_fly

RFE for birth certificate

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am US citizen applying i130 for my parents. I got an rfe for my birth certificate(bc) as my original was lost at very young age and I never needed my bc for anything before. So i recently applied for replacement bc in the country of my birth and they would make one exactly as the original is. No changes allowed. The name on bc does not have my middle name it just has ( first name  last name) which is different then my current name or other names used in past. And when I did i130 application under other names used I did not add this(first name last name) as other names used. Because I have never used this name in any of documents before. Will this be an issue? . Not sure if this will cause another rfe. Do I write a letter writing reason and mention all names used and get it notarised. And submit the rfe along with replacement birth certificate?Any suggestions? T.I.A

Timeline
21 hours ago, Mike E said:

Where did the middle name come from?

So my first ever passsport as a child had a middle name that is my fathers name and further along the years i used that name. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Prepare for another RFE. You might need to cite an official document that notes this naming convention for passports.

i am surprised you were able to get GC without a BC

Timeline
8 hours ago, Mike E said:

Prepare for another RFE. You might need to cite an official document that notes this naming convention for passports.

i am surprised you were able to get GC without a 

For GC I submitted what was required. In absence of bc you can submit secondary and tertiary evidence. Which is school records, etc and affidavits by my parents. Which was enough during gc process. In this case my parents are part of the petition so they cannot write affidavits. Affidavits should always be written by third party who are not a part of the petition. Like relatives or people who had knowledge of the birth. In  my case I have already gathered affidavits to submit along with rfe.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Butter_fly said:

For GC I submitted what was required. In absence of bc you can submit secondary and tertiary evidence

Were you

1. born in India and

2. after April 1, 1970

?

If so, if the BC was waived even though it was available, you were fortunate.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/India.html

Birth Certificates

Available: For persons born after April 1, 1970, birth certificates are available. For persons born prior to April 1, 1970, birth certificates are considered unavailable

[..]

Alternate Documents: If an individual is born after April 1, 1970 and is unable to obtain a birth certificate, the individual must obtain a certificate of non-availability

[..]

Exceptions: None

Fortunately for me,

* INS’s enforcement of civil document requirements was slipshod when I filed I-485

* My parents never had an interest in immigrating to the U.S.  

Also, per 

you did submit a BC.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Were you

1. born in India and

2. after April 1, 1970

?

If so, if the BC was waived even though it was available, you were fortunate.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/India.html

Birth Certificates

Available: For persons born after April 1, 1970, birth certificates are available. For persons born prior to April 1, 1970, birth certificates are considered unavailable

[..]

Alternate Documents: If an individual is born after April 1, 1970 and is unable to obtain a birth certificate, the individual must obtain a certificate of non-availability

[..]

Exceptions: None

Fortunately for me,

* INS’s enforcement of civil document requirements was slipshod when I filed I-485

* My parents never had an interest in immigrating to the U.S.  

Also, per 

you did submit a BC.

Great research on the old post! It was a certified copy from embassy stating the birth not the original bc. The original question on this topic is about name on bc. Was looking to see if anyone had a similar situation and what did they do.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.