SmPP

Brussels Embassy - Interview time

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Country specific thread has been move to the Regional forum, from IR1/CR1 Progress Reports- as country specific threads are best in the proper regional forum.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 7:37 AM, ThomasT33 said:

OK now things moved very fast for me. 

I have an interview at the 8th of March :D 

Didn't expect it to be so fast so now I cannot book the medical in time anymore. 

But in the mail it did say that you can have the medical after the interview so that's what I will do. 

Finally after all the waiting it seems to be going forward now. 

If all goes well, the visa will be OK at the end of March (after the medical). 

I hope I helped everyone waiting at Brussels a bit with sharing my timeline. 

Hope that for all of you guys the interview is scheduled soon. It seems they are doing some work now! 

Wow that is tomorrow - wish you good luck and happy news!! :) Can you let us know how it went and more or less what they asked?

Also, how come you did not have time for the medical exam? Did neither of the 2 doctors I saw listed for Belgium have a slot available for you? I am wondering so I know to mentally prepare for this possibility.. :D 

On 2/22/2024 at 11:10 AM, SmPP said:

Received our letter today too and our is set for March 15th! 

Can’t believe this is going fast now - I wonder what took them so damn long! 

Congrats also to you, I hope it goes well with positive result!! :) Would it also be possible to let us know how it went after?

I'm almost done with gathering all civil documents and reading this thread made me nervous on timing for the interview after and getting ready for it.. seems like they took forever then suddenly really fast action

Thank you both!!! :) 

19 hours ago, Goosegirl22 said:

Wow that is tomorrow - wish you good luck and happy news!! :) Can you let us know how it went and more or less what they asked?

Also, how come you did not have time for the medical exam? Did neither of the 2 doctors I saw listed for Belgium have a slot available for you? I am wondering so I know to mentally prepare for this possibility.. :D 

Hi, 

Yes just had my interview in the morning. 

The problem we had, and some other people who were DQ in September, is that the schedule for the interview came very quick after NVC send it to the embassy. I received a mail from NVC that they did send my case to the embassy in Brussels and the next day I had an interview date in 2 weeks. 

If you check the doctors that are in Brussels (there are 3 now BTW), the next appointment is for the 9th of April (checked today). that's 4.5 weeks from now. So if you get your interview 2 weeks after NVC send the case to the embassy, you have not enough time to schedule. 

You can always gamble and schedule a doctors appointment in advance and hope the interview letter comes on the predicted time. But knowing I waited since September 2023, nothing is sure with immigration. 

It is btw no problem having your medical after the interview. That is also written on the mail they send you. 

Now for the interview itself. 

You go to the gates of the US ambassy and give them your passport. 

They check it on their paper and let you through. 

Then they do a metal detector scan outside and another one inside. 

Don't take anything with you! I just had my necessary documents with me. 

No laptops, bags, keys, ... 

The only thing allowed is your wallet and your phone. 

Once you went through both security checkpoints, you enter a quite small room with some chairs. 

You go to one of the windows and you give your DS-260 and they scan it. 

After that they give you a number and you need to go sit down and wait till they show your number on the TV screen. 

The first window you go to, is a check of the papers. At that point you are speaking with someone who will ask you to give all the documents. 

Make sure you read very well on the mail you get what you need! 

After that you go sit down again and wait for your number to be called again. 

Then you talk to an US counselor officer who will ask some questions: 

This is what they asked me: 

- Where did you meet? 

- When did you first meet? 

- What is your wife's profession?

- What is your profession?

- Did you ever live together? 

This is kind of what they asked to me. 

All in all was like 5 min interview. 

Was approved and now I just need to do my medical in a few weeks. 

I hope this helps a bit and good luck everyone. 

Seems that things are moving again. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Congratulations!

I’m glad your wait is almost over, it is annoying you had to wait so long.

Judging by the medical situation, I did schedule mine already, just to be sure of a date.. apparently it’s free to cancel up to 24 hours in advance so 😅

Timeline
1 minute ago, Benny1337 said:

Congratulations!

I’m glad your wait is almost over, it is annoying you had to wait so long.

Judging by the medical situation, I did schedule mine already, just to be sure of a date.. apparently it’s free to cancel up to 24 hours in advance so 😅

That is what I have done since I was DQ'd :D I just made on appointment per month until I got the interview letter and oddly enough the appointment I had prior to getting the IL was the perfect timing with my interview date. It was easy since you could cancel them easily and reschedule. I recommend everyone who is waiting for their IL to book something now to be safe. The doctors also do medicals for other embassies so they fill up their time slots fast! 

20 minutes ago, ThomasT33 said:

Hi, 

The problem we had, and some other people who were DQ in September, is that the schedule for the interview came very quick after NVC send it to the embassy. I received a mail from NVC that they did send my case to the embassy in Brussels and the next day I had an interview date in 2 weeks. 

If you check the doctors that are in Brussels (there are 3 now BTW), the next appointment is for the 9th of April (checked today). that's 4.5 weeks from now. So if you get your interview 2 weeks after NVC send the case to the embassy, you have not enough time to schedule. 

You can always gamble and schedule a doctors appointment in advance and hope the interview letter comes on the predicted time. But knowing I waited since September 2023, nothing is sure with immigration. 

It is btw no problem having your medical after the interview. That is also written on the mail they send you. 

Once you went through both security checkpoints, you enter a quite small room with some chairs. 

After that they give you a number and you need to go sit down and wait till they show your number on the TV screen. 

The first window you go to, is a check of the papers. At that point you are speaking with someone who will ask you to give all the documents. 

- Where did you meet? 

I am so happy you were approved! Just a few more weeks before it is all done and this process can be put behind you!

Just in case people were interested in the medical as I had mine yesterday afternoon and my interview is next Friday.

The Medical: 

The actual medical went by quickly. I had mine with Dr. Schellens. I was scheduled at 15h30 but by the time everything was done it was around 17h00. 

First I had to do the X-ray separately and pay 100 euros in cash at the reception. Then wait about 30 mins for my appointment with the doctor as there were two people ahead of me. 

She went throught all my vaccines and asked a few questions. Entered all the information I had into the computer for the embassy. 

Took the blood test and a few small medical checkups and I was ready to go. 

She will email the embassy the results and also send me a copy just in case they have any issues.

The medical is all done by cash payments!

I would suggest to bring around 250-300 euros in cash with you on the day of the medical exam. It will save you time and make everythig go smoothly. Mine was a total of 245 euros. The medical center told me I needed a urine sample but I was not in the age requirement for it and did not need to do that and the Doctor told me this was an additional 25 euros if it was required. 

Do also bring paper copies of your vaccines or immunisation if available as she does not have access to the BE ID card reader to view your medical history. 

Hope this helps :) 

19 minutes ago, SmPP said:

The Medical: 

The actual medical went by quickly. I had mine with Dr. Schellens. I was scheduled at 15h30 but by the time everything was done it was around 17h00. 

First I had to do the X-ray separately and pay 100 euros in cash at the reception. Then wait about 30 mins for my appointment with the doctor as there were two people ahead of me. 

She went throught all my vaccines and asked a few questions. Entered all the information I had into the computer for the embassy. 

She will email the embassy the results and also send me a copy just in case they have any issues.

I would suggest to bring around 250-300 euros in cash with you on the day of the medical exam. It will save you time and make everythig go smoothly. Mine was a total of 245 euros. The medical center told me I needed a urine sample but I was not in the age requirement for it and did not need to do that and the Doctor told me this was an additional 25 euros if it was required. 

Do also bring paper copies of your vaccines or immunisation if available as she does not have access to the BE ID card reader to view your medical history. 

Hope this helps

Thank you very much for those details! 

I was wondering if they accepted bank cards or just cash. 

Good to know that I will take enough money for the medical. 

Maybe one question, all vaccinations taken after I was a child, are now digital. 

Is a printout of this from the Belgium government website good enough? 

As far as I know, there is no "official" vaccination record with stamps and QR codes and everything is just on Vaccinet. 

Thanks for the useful information and good luck with the interview next week ;) 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, ThomasT33 said:

Thank you very much for those details! 

I was wondering if they accepted bank cards or just cash. 

Good to know that I will take enough money for the medical. 

Maybe one question, all vaccinations taken after I was a child, are now digital. 

Is a printout of this from the Belgium government website good enough? 

As far as I know, there is no "official" vaccination record with stamps and QR codes and everything is just on Vaccinet. 

Thanks for the useful information and good luck with the interview next week ;) 

Yes the printout is good enough and I had to do that only for my last COVID vaccine. She approved it and scanned it into the computer. I printed out the proof from masante.belgique.be.  

I am a French citizen so I had the old medical booklet that my Belgian doctor used to add the other vaccines I needed within that book so it made the process easier when the time came to enter all that informaiton into my file for the embassy. 

18 hours ago, ThomasT33 said:

Hi, 

- Where did you meet? 

Congratulations for getting approved!!!! :) And thanks so much for the detailed description of the interview.. seems pretty straightforward thankfully but i can imagine on the day of it is actually nerve-racking

One question - for the pictures that have to be brought and submitted at the interview, did you just use the photobooth inside the consulate? Since they ask for the US size of pictures and Belgian photobooths don't provide that unfortunately.. 

18 hours ago, SmPP said:

That is what I have done since I was DQ'd :D I just made on appointment per month until I got the interview letter and oddly enough the appointment I had prior to getting the IL was the perfect timing with my interview date. It was easy since you could cancel them easily and reschedule. I recommend everyone who is waiting for their IL to book something now to be safe. The doctors also do medicals for other embassies so they fill up their time slots fast! 

I am so happy you were approved! Just a few more weeks before it is all done and this process can be put behind you!

Just in case people were interested in the medical as I had mine yesterday afternoon and my interview is next Friday.

The Medical: 

Hope this helps :) 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the medical exam!! Super smart to schedule multiple appointments when getting DQ-ed and then just cancelling them as needed. Will def do the same.

One question - did they also do a standard physical check like height, weight, blood pressure, and those kind of things?

Overall wow this is all extremely useful information and it is really soothing to know beforehand.. THANK YOU so much to both for sharing your experiences with the medical and the interview itself!! very appreciated.

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Goosegirl22 said:

Since they ask for the US size of pictures and Belgian photobooths don't provide that unfortunately.. 

I went to a local photographer that does passport pictures, and they had no issue taking a 2”x2” picture.

Perhaps you can contact some near you, as I personally wouldn’t rely on the photo booths as 1) You never know if there’s a malfunction, causing unnecessary delays and 2) You need to upload them to NVC too, so you should have them well before your interview regardless.

2 hours ago, Goosegirl22 said:

Congratulations for getting approved!!!! :) And thanks so much for the detailed description of the interview.. seems pretty straightforward thankfully but i can imagine on the day of it is actually nerve-racking

One question - for the pictures that have to be brought and submitted at the interview, did you just use the photobooth inside the consulate? Since they ask for the US size of pictures and Belgian photobooths don't provide that unfortunately.. 

Hi, 

Thanks! 

For the photo I used the information on the following website from the US embassy: 

https://be.usembassy.gov/photos/

If you scroll down you have a list of all the photographers that are certainly doing the 2x2 

Because it took so long with me, I used the one in Antwerp and Kortrijk (because technically you need a new photo every 6 months), and both of those did an excellent job. 

You can always use the photo boot in the embassy but just as @Benny1337 said you never know if something goes wrong on the day itself. 

Always better to be fully prepared so to minimise the stress on the moment itself. 

But you can always call to your local photographer and ask if they can do the 2X2 format (51 mm – 51 mm). 

Good luck! 

On 3/9/2024 at 4:17 AM, Benny1337 said:

I went to a local photographer that does passport pictures, and they had no issue taking a 2”x2” picture.

Perhaps you can contact some near you, as I personally wouldn’t rely on the photo booths as 1) You never know if there’s a malfunction, causing unnecessary delays and 2) You need to upload them to NVC too, so you should have them well before your interview regardless.

On 3/9/2024 at 6:24 AM, ThomasT33 said:

Hi, 

Thanks! 

For the photo I used the information on the following website from the US embassy: 

https://be.usembassy.gov/photos/

If you scroll down you have a list of all the photographers that are certainly doing the 2x2 

Because it took so long with me, I used the one in Antwerp and Kortrijk (because technically you need a new photo every 6 months), and both of those did an excellent job. 

You can always use the photo boot in the embassy but just as @Benny1337 said you never know if something goes wrong on the day itself. 

Always better to be fully prepared so to minimise the stress on the moment itself. 

But you can always call to your local photographer and ask if they can do the 2X2 format (51 mm – 51 mm). 

Good luck! 

Thank you both so much!! Indeed, better safe than sorry.. I have another visit to the US planned that'll probably be before we're able to submit our NVC documents since some are taking quite long to get so will pop by a CVS to get some pictures taken.

Benny1337 - hope you get your interview date soon!! good luck :)

Timeline
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Benny1337 said:

Good luck today!

I was approved!

I went in the Embassy around 8:10 and went through security. Had to go to window 5that said ''cashier'' to get my number. After that I sat and waited about 15 mins for my number to be called.

There the person requested documents I had submitted but nothing related to my husband.

Documents: DS-260 confirmation page, birth certificate, marriage certificiate, photo, passport and police certificates.

I was asked to wait again to be called for my interview and that took almost an hour of waiting. There were only 3 people in front of me but for some reason it was a waiting game.

Once my number was called, I met with the lady who did my interview. She asked me basic questions:
1) How did you meet your husband?
2) When did you meet your husband?
3) How long have you been together? Basically asked for a timeline as I've known him for 16 years.

4) What does he do for a living?
5) What is your job?
6) What degree do you have?

All in all it took about 7-8 mins and I was approved. She said my passport status will be udpated when it is ready to be shipped.

Good luck to everyone who still needs their interview! Everyone was really nice and I had a pleasant experience. 

I literally prepared everything and never was asked for anything besides the documents listed above. 

Edited by SmPP

Timeline
Posted (edited)

Another small update:

My NVC status after my interview was placed under ''Administrative Processing'' even though I had no notice or request to send additional info/documents and this morning it was showing as ''Issued'' and I received two emails:

1) About my visa being printed on my passport and it being being ready plus having it handed to the mailing service

2) The tracking number

I am not sure if this is standard timeframe from approval to passport being issued but I am happy that it is almost over!

Edited by SmPP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.