nane1104

misconceptions and prejudices

137 posts in this topic

David is getting sick of the questions, "So how do you like living in the US?" and "Oh, I looooove your accent. Are you from Australia?" And when he tells them that he came from Germany (becuase he's lived there for the last 18 yrs), they really get confused.

If anyone has a snappy (not rude) comeback to "So how do you like living in the US?", we'd love some original responses.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm trying to prep my fiancee as much as possible before she gets here, but I know no matter what I say or do she is going to face some insane stupidity, racism, prejudice, and miss a ton of things from China she takes for granted that are actually really nice to have that we don't have in the US.

Yepp. I am really happy to see that my husband more and more appreciates "german" things I introduce him to, anything from german dishes to some "german way of thinking"...it is interesting to mix both our backgrounds, specially since he is 50/50 african-american/filippino!

mmmm schnitzel...... mmmmmmmm

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

I'm Australian...

'nuff said :P We're the GODS of being asked stupid questions XD

Actually, it hasn't been so bad. They've done the whole 'joking around and asking stupid questions about riding kangaroos and living next door to the Prime Minister', but sometimes....

I had a friend once ask me, in all seriousness, which I guess was what threw me..... if Australia had an Army.

*blink blink*

Okay, fair enough question. Except she had this annoying habit of informing you she was an ARMY BRAT and has 'travelled the world' (the world meaning Germany).

The Beginning

September 29th, 1999 - 'hooked' up with Dave after chatting with him for about a year online.

October 23rd, 2004 - September 29th, 5 years to the day, he proposed to me =D

July 23rd, 2005 - Dave comes over for the wedding on July 27th at the beach :)

Sometime in December, he sends off I-130 to Texas and promptly leaves me in the dark like a mushroom x.X...

The Saga Continues *dumdeduuummm*

August - phone NVC. intriguing :\ Phoned again, ah hah! the truth... no record of us >< losers... Go and visit Dave for 3 months...

End of January, we sent the petition back in again. 2 weeks later, we actually get a number in our hot little hands.

April 5th - NOA2 approved!

April sometime, received and sent back Choice of Agent

May 18th - Received IV Bill

May 28th - Sent IV Bill MO back

June 11th - DS-230 generated

July 12th - Received and sent back DS-230 packet

July 19th - NVC Sent Husband checklist of AoS. They forgot to fill in N/A fills with.... N/A x.X

July 23rd - DS-230 entered

July 26th - NVC received checklist regarding financial suppliment (ie, got a talking to on the phone :P)

August 1st - sent financial papers back

August 3rd - (Automatic msg) Financial records lacking! ARGH!~

August 7th - Received actual fixed paperwork - 'processing'

August 17th - NVC COMPLETED CASE!~

September 10th - Received packet 3

September 17th - Medical in Brisbane

November 14th - Interview VISA GRANTED

December 8th - Landed in USA

December 24th - GreenCard Arrives

Filed: Timeline

Yeah there are some ppl that dress this way usually older more traditional men but this certainly isn't the norm.

Oh and ppl also tend to think Egyptians dress in galabiyas (long white dress) and wear turbans like depicted in "The Mummy".

But don't they? I know not everyone does but I certainly saw many people that did on my trips there, especially outside of Cairo.

If anyone has a snappy (not rude) comeback to "So how do you like living in the US?", we'd love some original responses.

"Love it".

Usually shuts them up and makes them feel happy at the same time. Win-win.

Edited by Dr_LHA

I have a great story from the afterparty at my wedding. I wasn't there, of course, but one of my college friends apparently asked the best man, C.'s cousin, if:

A) There is G.I. Joe in Canada.

B) If so, if he's the real American hero or "did they change that?"

The first time C. visited the constant refrain from my mother was "Do they have that in Canada?"

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

I have a great story from the afterparty at my wedding. I wasn't there, of course, but one of my college friends apparently asked the best man, C.'s cousin, if:

A) There is G.I. Joe in Canada.

B) If so, if he's the real American hero or "did they change that?"

That's a decent question though! In the UK they don't have GI Joe, he's called "Action Man" instead and there's none of the jingoistic "Real American Hero" stuff.

EDIT: so is this my answer: http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada/index2.html

Edited by Dr_LHA

I think most of the questions are okay questions. I just love that that's what my drunken lawyer friend fixated on. Was G.I. Joe a Mountie?

Sure, they're sort of silly, but how many people think America is just like on TV where waitresses live in Manhattan penthouses?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I've lived in Milwaukee now for nearly two years and I've still yet to meet The Fonz.

I feel cheated.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

"Do the RCMP have a special road for their horses when they patrol the city?"

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA