nane1104

misconceptions and prejudices

137 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I totally don't mind if people asking me tons of questions about how life in Germany is or even why I would want to keep my german citizenship, I believe that's a valid question considering that I plan to live in the US permanently.

I am just really amazed that I run into so many people who really think that the United States is far more advanced than most other western countries, economy wise, technology wise,...when really it made my toenails roll up when I was reading that in some States you still vote with paper and pencil...

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when really it made my toenails roll up when I was reading that in some States you still vote with paper and pencil...

Nothing wrong with pencil and paper. I'd much rather everyone voted with pencil and paper in fact. You don't get crashing voting machines or hanging chads when you stick a big X in a box on a paper ballot.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
when really it made my toenails roll up when I was reading that in some States you still vote with paper and pencil...

Nothing wrong with pencil and paper. I'd much rather everyone voted with pencil and paper in fact. You don't get crashing voting machines or hanging chads when you stick a big X in a box on a paper ballot.

:thumbs: Much harder to fix an election if you have to lose or add paper ballots. You know, it's kinda nice to have a paper trail sometimes.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Timeline

:thumbs: Much harder to fix an election if you have to lose or add paper ballots. You know, it's kinda nice to have a paper trail sometimes.

I guess so...lol

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline
My personal favourite question was "is this the first time you've worn sandals? Does it get warm enough in Canada to wear them?"

I've only been to Canada once...in August 1989...and it was too cold for sandals! :whistle:

OH it's quite warm there now.. global warming has realy helped us out!!

Go Global Warming Go!! :dance:

I was surprised by how cold it was; the Canadians kept reminding us that it was unusual for it to be that cold in August. :blink: I think we were just unlucky. I did enjoy my stay in Canada; we visited Quebec City and Montreal and everybody was very friendly and helpful, even when they couldn't speak English (which was unusual). We flew to Hartford and drove into Canada from there; our rental car had Georgia plates on it and a cyclist in traffic in Montreal rolled up next to us at a stop light, poked his head into the car, and said "Far from home, eh? Welcome to Canada!" :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

people ask sanita if she is cuban or spanish? maybe cause of her name and Russian accent?

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline

Hehe, I am german, have a french surname and a polish maiden name...that's a recipe for confusion!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My personal favourite question was "is this the first time you've worn sandals? Does it get warm enough in Canada to wear them?"

I've only been to Canada once...in August 1989...and it was too cold for sandals! :whistle:

OH it's quite warm there now.. global warming has realy helped us out!!

Go Global Warming Go!! :dance:

I was surprised by how cold it was; the Canadians kept reminding us that it was unusual for it to be that cold in August. :blink: I think we were just unlucky. I did enjoy my stay in Canada; we visited Quebec City and Montreal and everybody was very friendly and helpful, even when they couldn't speak English (which was unusual). We flew to Hartford and drove into Canada from there; our rental car had Georgia plates on it and a cyclist in traffic in Montreal rolled up next to us at a stop light, poked his head into the car, and said "Far from home, eh? Welcome to Canada!" :thumbs:

Just checked and it's 81 F today in Montreal.. I have seen Snow in NFLD in July but again that is unusual. I love Quebec city.. Montreal.. that's another story.. last time we were there we were almost sideswiped by a driver who poked her head in the car and swore at us in french! :) tee hee

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

*wonders what part of Canada you were visiting!* ;)

Perhaps I got my more than fair share of "I have to bite my tongue and be nice in my reply" kind of questions dealing with tourists for ten years, but I was surprised at the kinds of questions I would be asked very sincerely by many people. And I am still surprised at the questions I am still getting asked by friends! In my opinion, it's not a matter of stupidity for all people ('cause yes, there are dumb people out there), but a matter of lack of exposure, or self-education about the rest of the world. Many people I have met since living here have not left the state or the region in their lifetime, which blows my mind.

We went to Quebec because we wanted to feel more like we were in a foreign country...but even then it didn't really feel like a foreign country. It was like America but with different grocery stores and people spoke French instead of English. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I went to Canada; I didn't really expect it to be that different and it wasn't, but I was pleased with how friendly everybody was. We didn't meet a single rude person in Canada. Quebec and Montreal were both really pretty.

I did find the money amusing, but I think it was because it was all different colors and had the Queen's picture on it.

]

I guess so...lol

I'm sure German e-voting is well implemented and easily verifiable. In the good old US of A though, we prefer our voting machines to be from companies that buy off Senators to get the contract, and think installing a small receipt printer or software that isn't hackable by a 12 year old isn't a big necessity. You know, because protecting democracy isn't important apparently.

Bingo. All voting should be done on paper ballots. Computerized ballots open the door for waaaaaaaaay too much fraud.

]

I guess so...lol

I'm sure German e-voting is well implemented and easily verifiable. In the good old US of A though, we prefer our voting machines to be from companies that buy off Senators to get the contract, and think installing a small receipt printer or software that isn't hackable by a 12 year old isn't a big necessity. You know, because protecting democracy isn't important apparently.

Let's not make the mistake of assuming that European countries don't have corruption problems. :whistle: