sharpie11

What to declare to customs on IR1 entry

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I am traveling to the US with my wife and step kids who have IR1/IR2 visas and are entering the US for the first time. My family will have their personal effects - which were all purchased in their home country of course - clothes, shoes, a few clothes as gifts for people in the US and a few pieces of worn jewelry. I am creating an inventory of all our luggage, but in terms of declaration, what exactly do we declare - do we need to declare the clothes, shoes, gifts and jewelry when we enter the US, or just the jewelery? Do we need to hand in our inventory to the CBP official? The jewelry is unlikely to be worth more than a couple of thousand dollars and most of the clothes are old worn clothes. In terms of valuing the items for inventory purposes, how do we value old clothes which are likely close to 0 dollars?

Edited by sharpie11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Nothing. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There's nothing that you've mentioned that needs declaration...Quit worrying. 

You only mention cash above $10K

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
31 minutes ago, sharpie11 said:

Had another question on this: I and my family are on separate tickets but on the same flight coming in to the US. Will that be an issue? Also I assume we all enter the US together as a family - is that accurate?

Not a problem. 

yes .. all together. As petitioner, you must either already be in the US or enter at the same time as the beneficiaries 

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, sharpie11 said:

Also -- would it be a problem if we decided to play it safe and enter in the noncitizens line? We have 2 citizens and 3 noncitizen IR1/IR2s in our family - or is it better to just ask the staff at the POE ?

That is the usual choice yes .. but you can ask for directions .. some POE have specific booths for immigrants .. or lines they prefer immigrants to go through .. rarely signposted 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.