mapi

W2 needed for i864a (joint filing, spouse of joint sponsor)? (Merged threads)

36 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Perfect! Thanks. I missed that topic.

So, I'll submit W2 and 1099 for both joint sponsor and her spouse.

But that topic owner also talks about tax returns and schedules. Maybe I am misunderstanding the terminology, but that's not needed right? Or is a W2 a schedule? 

Edited by mapi

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Is the joint sponsor qualifying based on individual or household income?

Invidivual. That's why I thought the Transcript in combination with the W2s would give a clear cut of income, thus qualification. I will get the spouses W2 and 1099 for sure as well. That's no big deal.

B

Edited by mapi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
12 minutes ago, mapi said:

Invidivual. That's why I thought the Transcript in combination with the W2s would give a clear cut of income, thus qualification. I will get the spouses W2 and 1099 for sure as well. That's no big deal.

B

From the other thread, because the sponsor filed a joint tax return, NVC interpreted the instructions as requiring a complete tax return from the sponsor, with all accompanying forms and schedules. After re-reading the I-864 instructions, the sponsor (the OP of that thread) conceded that interpretation. 

Simply getting the W2s and 1099s of the joint sponsor’s spouse could lead you to delays as experienced by the other thread’s OP. 

What the joint sponsor’s spouse should not have to do is file I-864a. However in some cases the CO does require I-864a.

17 minutes ago, Mike E said:

From the other thread, because the sponsor filed a joint tax return, NVC interpreted the instructions as requiring a complete tax return from the sponsor, with all accompanying forms and schedules. After re-reading the I-864 instructions, the sponsor (the OP of that thread) conceded that interpretation. 

Simply getting the W2s and 1099s of the joint sponsor’s spouse could lead you to delays as experienced by the other thread’s OP. 

What the joint sponsor’s spouse should not have to do is file I-864a. However in some cases the CO does require I-864a.

Thanks for explaining.

Yes, I know that they should not have to do that. However, many times people needed to show the i864a of the spouse of the joint sponsor IF they filed jointly.

Therefore I am planning on just submitting the spouses i864a to be safe. Out of that, my question came: does the spouse of the joint sponsor also need to file the W2s and 1099 (which I'll just file to be sure).

Edited by mapi

Timeline
2 hours ago, mapi said:

Out of that, my question came: does the spouse of the joint sponsor also need to file the W2s and 1099 (which I'll just file to be sure).

Since it is a joint tax return, all forms are needed 

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Since it is a joint tax return, all forms are needed 

Yes. I will file for both joint sponsor and her spouse the joint filed Tax Transcript, W2s and 1099s + all other documents

Timeline
19 minutes ago, mapi said:

joint filed Tax Transcript

Needs to be a tax return

Read the linked thread with rigor

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Needs to be a tax return

Read the linked thread with rigor

I did read that topic.

However, the whole forum advises to send Tax Transcript + W2 + 1099 and now after this isolated case the advise is to send the less detailed Tax Returns? I don't really get it. It's only throwing confusion for anybody on this forum

• 2 weeks later...

As per title.

The income of this spouse is not used, since i864 joint sponsor is by far over the poverty line. We have Tax Return Copies (MFJ) + W2 joint sponsor. Do we need the spouse's W2 as well?

Also, is the MFJ Tax Return Copy enough proof of their relationship, since they cannot file mfj if not married?

For people that don't know why I am using the i864a: officers have been asking for this to see written consent by the spouse to use a share of the household income to support the immigrant, hence I prepare for this.

Edited by mapi

Timeline

Did the joint sponsor and joint sponsor’s co-sponsor file a joint tax return? If so, expect to provide the complete tax return, including all W-2s

Yes, that's clearly stated: MFJ

Like I said we're only using joint sponsor individual income, since that is sufficcient. I am only filing i864a to make sure CO is satisfied with spouse's consent

Hence, my thought is that the W2 for the spouse is not going to add anything, since the joint sponsor Tax Return + W2 + paystubs demonstrates sufficient income.

You seem to be very certain, could you point out some topics where your statement is supported? Maybe @pushbrk can say something too? Thank you.

Edited by mapi

Timeline
15 minutes ago, mapi said:

You seem to be very certain, could you point out some topics where your statement is supported?

i-864a is described by USCIS as follows:

Use this form if you are a household member and want to promise to make your income and/or assets available to help support a sponsored immigrant

If you, the joint sponsor, and/or the co-sponsor of the joint are unwilling to provide the co-sponsor’s W-2s, then I am baffled how the co-sponsor is fulfilling the promise to make the co-sponsor’s income available to support the beneficiary.

I expect it will baffle NVC (which tends to be more baffled more often than me) and maybe the CO.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.