mapi

W2 needed for i864a (joint filing, spouse of joint sponsor)? (Merged threads)

36 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

It is always the best practice to provide an I-864a from the joint sponsors joint tax filing spouse.  OP, should disregard the above. Bad advice.

Yup, I have both filled out and just received the spouse's (i864a) W2 as well. I will not add spouse's income on the I864, but I will provide it on the i864a. Then the sum of individual incomes will equal the tax return copy. Is this the correct way?

Is it possible they have no 1099s? That's what my MIL told me. As said, I am unfamiliar with the US tax system (I'm the beneficiary).

Edited by mapi

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, mapi said:

Yup, I have both filled out and just received the spouse's (i864a) W2 as well. I will not add spouse's income on the I864, but I will provide it on the i864a. Then the sum of individual incomes will equal the tax return copy. Is this the correct way?

Is it possible they have no 1099s? That's what my MIL told me. As said, I am unfamiliar with the US tax system (I'm the beneficiary).

No, it is not. Include the spouse's income on both, so both totals match the tax return.  Get out of your head any thoughts about whose income you are "using".  Even if either one qualifies on their own, the Consular Officer almost always wants the I-864a because it's a "contract" even more than being evidence the sponsor qualifies.  It's a joint obligation, so no reason or way to exclude one of them from the obligation but simply not stating their income on one of the forms.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

No, it is not. Include the spouse's income on both, so both totals match the tax return.  Get out of your head any thoughts about whose income you are "using".  Even if either one qualifies on their own, the Consular Officer almost always wants the I-864a because it's a "contract" even more than being evidence the sponsor qualifies.  It's a joint obligation, so no reason or way to exclude one of them from the obligation but simply not stating their income on one of the forms.

Clear. Thank you.

@Leo The GreatPlease, the poster above you're giving wrong advice. Try to validate your answers first. I know the intention is good but the more posts like this in this forum, the cloudier it gets.

Edited by mapi

On 9/21/2023 at 9:08 AM, pushbrk said:

I think I am a little confused. Currently working on the forms.

You say fill both incomes on the forms, so it adds up.

1. Do you mean I also need the spouses paystubs? 

2. It does not ad up since joint sponsors current individual income is based on paystubs (as recommended) and not W2. So for the I864, (Part 6 line 7 + part 6 line 10 does not equal part 6 line 20).

What do you recommend I do?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, mapi said:

I think I am a little confused. Currently working on the forms.

You say fill both incomes on the forms, so it adds up.

1. Do you mean I also need the spouses paystubs? 

2. It does not ad up since joint sponsors current individual income is based on paystubs (as recommended) and not W2. So for the I864, (Part 6 line 7 + part 6 line 10 does not equal part 6 line 20).

What do you recommend I do?

Yes, you need the spouse's pay stubs.  The numbers you enter in 6 and 10 will automatically be totaled by the form in line 20.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 4:14 AM, mapi said:

Clear. Thank you.

@Leo The GreatPlease, the poster above you're giving wrong advice. Try to validate your answers first. I know the intention is good but the more posts like this in this forum, the cloudier it gets.

@mapi Thanks for the advice. The information i described was based on the group members experiences that appeared for an interview in Montreal consulate personally recently or what i interpreted from I-864 and I-864A instructions by reading them carefully and together. I was looking for same info in my case also. Now my applicants were already appeared for an interview few days ago, I can confirm that CO did not asked for joint-sponsor spouse I-864A or W-2 nor we submitted at NVC stage or applicant carried the hard copies to interview. They are only asked for JS latest tax transcripts. W-2 of JS was already in their system.

Edited by Leo The Great

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.