JenniferJarin

Question #11 on Affadavit of SUpport RE: "Specific Contriibutions"

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

For the I-134 Affadavit of Support, I am a lil confused on question #11:

11. I intend do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person(s) named in item 3.

(If you check "intend," indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnish

room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in U.S. dollars and state whether it is to be given in a lump

sum, weekly or monthly, and for how long.

As my fiance's sponsor, am I SUPPOSED to check "intend to make specific contributions"? I can check that I intend to furnish room and board, I guess, (though he'll be contributing to that in the future as well) but don't know how long to date that one... but I don't "intend" to give my fiance any "certain" amount of money. We just help each other out as the situation arises. Our intentions are that we will both work and eventually launch our own business and support each other. If he was in a bind, of course I'd help him, but we share/split expenses now & intend to share/split them in the future. So this question confuses me. I don't want to check "don't intend" and then realize that was the wrong thing to do.

Likewise, my sister is my co-sponsor, but she doesn't "intend" to make any "specific contributions", as we don't need her money -- the co-sponsoring is just to satify the financial requirements of the form. So if she checks "do not intend", will this look bad to the us interviewer when they see the documents? My income falls short of the requirements, so that's why I have my co-sponsor. But if she doesn't intend to make any "specific contributions, well, will I need to change that & tell her to make sure she writes DOES intend to do so & have her check the box?

I actually brought this up briefly to a USCIS officer over the phone & he said something like, "the govt figures when you're married, you're stuck with each other." (I took this to mean you're responsible for each other already, so not to worry about it.)

Still, I'd really appreciate some advice on this question.

Timeline
For the I-134 Affadavit of Support, I am a lil confused on question #11:

11. I intend do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person(s) named in item 3.

(If you check "intend," indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnish

room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in U.S. dollars and state whether it is to be given in a lump

sum, weekly or monthly, and for how long.

As my fiance's sponsor, am I SUPPOSED to check "intend to make specific contributions"? I can check that I intend to furnish room and board, I guess, (though he'll be contributing to that in the future as well) but don't know how long to date that one... but I don't "intend" to give my fiance any "certain" amount of money. We just help each other out as the situation arises. Our intentions are that we will both work and eventually launch our own business and support each other. If he was in a bind, of course I'd help him, but we share/split expenses now & intend to share/split them in the future. So this question confuses me. I don't want to check "don't intend" and then realize that was the wrong thing to do.

Likewise, my sister is my co-sponsor, but she doesn't "intend" to make any "specific contributions", as we don't need her money -- the co-sponsoring is just to satify the financial requirements of the form. So if she checks "do not intend", will this look bad to the us interviewer when they see the documents? My income falls short of the requirements, so that's why I have my co-sponsor. But if she doesn't intend to make any "specific contributions, well, will I need to change that & tell her to make sure she writes DOES intend to do so & have her check the box?

I actually brought this up briefly to a USCIS officer over the phone & he said something like, "the govt figures when you're married, you're stuck with each other." (I took this to mean you're responsible for each other already, so not to worry about it.)

Still, I'd really appreciate some advice on this question.

Could someone help me with this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just used the example form as a guide for how fill out that question. It states: N/A (K1 visa process for permanent residence). Search the forums because from what I've read for K1 question 11 doesn't really apply, some put I do intend some put I don't intend. As for the co-sponsor part I can't help with that. Sorry. :(

Timeline:

I-129F sent to CSC: 2/10/07

CSC Receives I-129F: 2/13/07

NOA1 received: 2/21/07

NOA2 received: 5/14/07

NVC received: 5/30/07

NVC sends to USEM: 6/5/07

Packet 4 received: 6/28/07

Medical Exam: 8/6/07

Interview: 8/13/07

Visa received: 8/21/07

Timeline
I just used the example form as a guide for how fill out that question. It states: N/A (K1 visa process for permanent residence). Search the forums because from what I've read for K1 question 11 doesn't really apply, some put I do intend some put I don't intend. As for the co-sponsor part I can't help with that. Sorry. :(

Thanks for your help. I'll look into it more.

We put 'N/A' for my sponsorship of C., because it's for a K-1 and we were going to get married and 'No' for my dad's I-134 (which we ended up not using.) It won't make a difference, and if your sister isn't making specific contributions, why would you put yes?

The I-134 isn't legally binding. It's just an administrative tool that they use to ascertain whether you have the financial resources to adjust status eventually (so they don't end up with a lot of people unable to adjust status and living in poverty and all that.) Don't stress about it too much. You can put 'N/A' and so can your sister.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I wrote,

"I intend to supply full support for my wife <,name inserted,> for as long as we are married.".

As you can see from my timeline, I sponsored my wife as a K1, although it turned out she didn't marry me then. For that I-134, I wrote, "I intend to supply full support for <beneficiary name inserted> for as long as we are married."

That is what you intend, after all, right?

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
:guides:

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Luis&Laura,

I was aware of what the guide said. I wrote as I said for the my wife's K1 on advice of counsel. And it appeared to be good counsel, so I'm doing the same again.

I question the appropriateness of the guide's suggestion for some posts, such as Moscow.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.