GinoNiña

Ds-160 for her child (merged threads)

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

so my fiancee has  a child, he just turn 15 years old. hopefully she will be going to her interview in  a few months. I read somewhere that  she needs to bring her child to the interview with her. My question is , does her child needs to have his passport during the interview? 

8 hours ago, GinoNiña said:

so my fiancee has  a child, he just turn 15 years old. hopefully she will be going to her interview in  a few months. I read somewhere that  she needs to bring her child to the interview with her. My question is , does her child needs to have his passport during the interview? 

Is the child moving to the US with her? OR will the child move to the US later in the year?

If the child goes to the interview and wants to move to the US with their mother they should have a passport as after interview they will hand in the passport for the visa. 

Timeline

To also add...they will need a passport before you can fill out the separate DS-160 & separated MRV Fee required for her child. They will also need a separate medical exam done & as noted a separate interview. If the passport, DS-160, MRV Fee & medical exam was completed for the child prior to her interview, then they could have "interviewed" together. I think the age of the child dictates whether they are actually interviewed or just there to capture their biometrics.

In addition, for the child to follow to join they need to be included in the initial I-129F application.

Edited by Kawika & Michelle

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Together since June 10th, 2020.

Cebu, Philippines to Katy, TX.

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

www.facebook.com/groups/texasfilipinacouples/

7 hours ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

To also add...they will need a passport before you can fill out the separate DS-160 & separated MRV Fee required for her child. They will also need a separate medical exam done & as noted a separate interview. If the passport, DS-160, MRV Fee & medical exam was completed for the child prior to her interview, then they could have "interviewed" together. I think the age of the child dictates whether they are actually interviewed or just there to capture their biometrics.

In addition, for the child to follow to join they need to be included in the initial I-129F application.

Why would you suggest doing a k2 medical which had a 6 month expiration when a K2 follow to join is up to 1 year after the k1?  The OP needs to treat these separately with their own timelines

Timeline
14 hours ago, IWander said:

Why would you suggest doing a k2 medical which had a 6 month expiration when a K2 follow to join is up to 1 year after the k1?  The OP needs to treat these separately with their own timelines

It sounds like you are assuming things. There is no mention as to when these things need to occur only that they are steps in the total process to get to the K2 interview. We are currently in that same process, so I am well familiar with what needs to be done and when.

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

4 minutes ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

It sounds like you are assuming things. There is no mention as to when these things need to occur only that they are steps in the total process to get to the K2 interview. We are currently in that same process, so I am well familiar with what needs to be done and when.

Thank you for your information as I'm filing for a K2 as well, as i told my fiancé.. there will be 2 fee's for medical and as well for the visa fee. The child is only 8 years old

2 minutes ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

The issue is the expiration of the medical.  The visa when issued will expire 6 months from the date of the medical.  Your idea severely limits the time frame for the k2 to enter the USA to no more than 6 months from that early medical date, which defeats the  flexibilty of the up to one year follow to join benefit.  Properly planned,  follow to join can be stretched to almost 18 months if so needed.  

Timeline
2 hours ago, IWander said:

The issue is the expiration of the medical.  The visa when issued will expire 6 months from the date of the medical.  Your idea severely limits the time frame for the k2 to enter the USA to no more than 6 months from that early medical date, which defeats the  flexibilty of the up to one year follow to join benefit.  Properly planned,  follow to join can be stretched to almost 18 months if so needed.  

Which is why we are holding off on our K2's medical exam until next year when we plan to bring him over to join us. The OP was asking about whether or not the K2 needed to be at the K1 interview which is a moot point as all of the prior prerequisites which I listed was not completed nor would be able to be completed by the designated K1 interview date.

You'll have to explain the methodology behind stretching the follow to join to potentially 18 months as when we spoke with the Manila embassy they said that there was no way to extend the K2 follow to join option beyond the 12 months from K1 visa issue date. We had originally planned to renew our vows in the Philippines in June of 2024 to allow her family to celebrate with us & then bringing her son back with us when we returned to the US. Since she was issued her K1 visa in May the embassy indicated to us that this was not possible. As a result we've changed our plans to renew our vows in June of 2025 so that we could bring her son over before the 12 month window closed. In our case we just needed an additional month to make our plans work but the Manila embassy was pretty adamant about that not being a possibility.

Kawika & Michelle

29 minutes ago, GinoNiña said:

so its not mandatory to bring son with her during interview? my fiancee and I are planning to have him follow to join process.

He only goes to the interview if he is interviewing himself. 

But, he will probably want someone joining him for his interview. 

Timeline
On 5/25/2023 at 9:34 AM, Kawika & Michelle said:

Which is why we are holding off on our K2's medical exam until next year when we plan to bring him over to join us. The OP was asking about whether or not the K2 needed to be at the K1 interview which is a moot point as all of the prior prerequisites which I listed was not completed nor would be able to be completed by the designated K1 interview date.

You'll have to explain the methodology behind stretching the follow to join to potentially 18 months as when we spoke with the Manila embassy they said that there was no way to extend the K2 follow to join option beyond the 12 months from K1 visa issue date. We had originally planned to renew our vows in the Philippines in June of 2024 to allow her family to celebrate with us & then bringing her son back with us when we returned to the US. Since she was issued her K1 visa in May the embassy indicated to us that this was not possible. As a result we've changed our plans to renew our vows in June of 2025 so that we could bring her son over before the 12 month window closed. In our case we just needed an additional month to make our plans work but the Manila embassy was pretty adamant about that not being a possibility.

Hello Bro, your I-134 form affidavit of support. Did you mail it to her or sent through email using attachment? Thanks. 

On 5/25/2023 at 11:34 AM, Kawika & Michelle said:

Pretty simple.  One year follow to join plus 6 months visa validity after issuance

Edited by IWander

• 1 month later...
Timeline

So ok we just finished submitting her ds-160 and planned on paying mrv fee on next business day. Her underage child will be following within a year. 
my question is, do we fill out and submit her child’s own ds-160 now?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.