gunny.ream

Realistic wait times after removal of conditions pending

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Ok, I have uploaded all the evidence. Will it be too ambitious to expect a reply within 4 weeks?

> Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received

> We received your response to our Request for Evidence for your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence... USCIS has begun working on your case again. We will send you a decision or notify you if we need something from you.

Timeline

OK, I've got my hands on the initial file for the I-751 submission, and here's the list of evidence (I'm omitting the standard forms, passport copy, etc.)

Initial evidence submitted:

- 2022 Joint Car Insurance
- 2021-2022 Joint Health Coverage
- 2021 Joint Taxes
- 2022 Joint Taxes
- Copy of my spouse and I's Driver's License demonstrating shared address
- Recent photos (18)

RFE response evidence submitted:
- 2023 Tax Return

- Recent investment account statement

- Receipts from wedding expenses

- Passport stamps from both spouse and I's passports

- Travel receipts (airbnb and airline)

- Storybook narrative of our relationship

- Photographs of us through the years (50 photos)

- Call logs

- A 2023 Christmas card received

1 hour ago, gunny.ream said:

OK, I've got my hands on the initial file for the I-751 submission, and here's the list of evidence (I'm omitting the standard forms, passport copy, etc.)

Initial evidence submitted:

- 2022 Joint Car Insurance
- 2021-2022 Joint Health Coverage
- 2021 Joint Taxes
- 2022 Joint Taxes
- Copy of my spouse and I's Driver's License demonstrating shared address
- Recent photos (18)

RFE response evidence submitted:
- 2023 Tax Return

- Recent investment account statement

- Receipts from wedding expenses

- Passport stamps from both spouse and I's passports

- Travel receipts (airbnb and airline)

- Storybook narrative of our relationship

- Photographs of us through the years (50 photos)

- Call logs

- A 2023 Christmas card received

What about living arrangements, e.g. joint lease? Do you have joint bank accounts?

Timeline

I really think they check more for financial proof - remember, the main issue to them is the marriage is legit and not a business transaction

Lease, purchases, auto registration in both names, and make sure they have credit cards on both of their names

the more money you have invested in both names, the better shows they are planning to stay together 

2 hours ago, Andrs01-2020 said:

I really think they check more for financial proof - remember, the main issue to them is the marriage is legit and not a business transaction

Lease, purchases, auto registration in both names, and make sure they have credit cards on both of their names

the more money you have invested in both names, the better shows they are planning to stay together 

Couldn't agree more.

Timeline
Posted (edited)

Lease agreement with both names were given to them with the N400 application. So, my lawyer suggested we shouldn't repeat evidence as they will have visibility over both I751 and N400 application. We have a community property and we showed a statement balance with both of our names on the account. That's the "Recent investment account statement" in the list.

In general, we prefer to keep our finances separate and have allocated bills to pay each month. Also, my wife comes from a wealthy family where accounts are kept separate so we like to do the same.

It might be too late to submit anything right now?

Edited by gunny.ream

4 minutes ago, gunny.ream said:

We have a community property and we showed a statement balance with both of our names on the account. That's the "Recent investment account statement" in the list.

I'd include all statements you have for that account with both names on it (since marriage date) rather than just one recent.

Did you have utility bills (gas, internet, electricity, water) with both names?

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
Posted (edited)

> I'd include all statements you have for that account with both names on it (since marriage date) rather than just one recent.

Since our marriage, my wife has managed certain funds under her name, making selective stock investments based on her uncle's advice. I couldn't open an account in the U.S. because my CR1 visa was allotted to me in 2021 (we were living abroad), and we got married in 2019. We verbally agreed that this money was ours. We started a community property in 2022 but never actively maintained it; it only contained tax refunds. However, following the RFE, we decided to officially transfer those specific funds into the community property.

We have a Verizon bill that has both of our names on it and we submitted that with our N400 application. Gas, Internet, Electricity, and Water are all in my name and paid by me. Would this be a good time to have both of our names on these bills? Even though we can't resubmit our RFE evidence it might be useful during our interview?

Edited by gunny.ream

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

It's been 30 days since I replied to the RFE, and there's been no movement other than 'Response has been received.' I e-filed it. Usually, RFEs are processed quickly as they're close to a decision, but I guess this can depend on the case and vary from office to office. Anyways, can there be a rough estimate in general?

44 minutes ago, gunny.ream said:

It's been 30 days since I replied to the RFE, and there's been no movement other than 'Response has been received.' I e-filed it. Usually, RFEs are processed quickly as they're close to a decision, but I guess this can depend on the case and vary from office to office. Anyways, can there be a rough estimate in general?

Impossible to predict. It varies from case to case.

Timeline
Posted (edited)

I have talked to my lawyer on the status of i-751 RFE's response and this is what she has to say:

> I do not expect any change in the status of that application because from the moment you filed the N-400 (Naturalization application), they generally hold the I-751 Adjudication and the officer will decide BOTH on the same day, during your Naturalization interview/exam. Furthermore, because you will need an interview for the N-400, I do not expect them to issue any response to our response to the RFE. Generally, the only response we get when we reply to an RFE is a decision on the case: approved or denied. Again, because they would likely neither approve nor deny your I-751 while you have a pending N-400, we will not get such a notice. 

> Bottom line: We are now expecting only an Interview/Exam date from USCIS on your N-400.

Edited by gunny.ream

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gunny.ream said:

I have talked to my lawyer on the status of i-751 RFE's response and this is what she has to say:

> I do not expect any change in the status of that application because from the moment you filed the N-400 (Naturalization application), they generally hold the I-751 Adjudication and the officer will decide BOTH on the same day, during your Naturalization interview/exam. Furthermore, because you will need an interview for the N-400, I do not expect them to issue any response to our response to the RFE. Generally, the only response we get when we reply to an RFE is a decision on the case: approved or denied. Again, because they would likely neither approve nor deny your I-751 while you have a pending N-400, we will not get such a notice. 

> Bottom line: We are now expecting only an Interview/Exam date from USCIS on your N-400.

I don't think I fully agree with the lawyer, I-751 can be decided before the N-400 interview. And RFE can be sent on I-751 before the interview. It's low chance but it's possible.

Either way you're just waiting. Good luck!

Edited by OldUser

On 5/7/2024 at 11:56 AM, gunny.ream said:

Impossible to make a rough estimate. I've seen various timeframes but in my case, they received my response to the RFE on 2/05/2020. I didn't get any reply until a little over a year later on 2/24/2021 which was an interview notice for my I-751 (interview was on 4/06/2021). Anyway, my I-751 was finally approved 1 year and 8 months after my interview on 12/08/2022. I actually believe my N-400 sped up my I-751 case because my N-400 interview was done on 08/04/2022, then 4 months later the I-751 was finally approved.

I-751 timeline:

• 12/04/2018: Mailed I-751 with divorce waiver
  • 12/19/2018: Received by USCIS
  • 5/02/2019: Biometrics appointment
  • 5/03/2019: Case updated to show Fingerprints were taken and applied to my case 
  • 1/28/2020: Received an RFE
  • 2/05/2020: Response To Request For Evidence Was Received by USCIS
  • 8/12/2020: Case received at my local office
  • 9/16/2020: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 2/24/2021: Case scheduled for an interview
  • 4/06/2021: Interview done
  • 4/13/2022: Surprise Interview done at  my house
  • 12/08/2022: I-751 with divorce waiver APPROVED!
  • 12/21/2022: 10 yr Green Card Received.

N-400 timeline:

• 01/26/2022: Applied online and received by USCIS, Informed of Biometrics reuse
  • 06/17/2022: Interview scheduled
  • 08/04/2022: Interview done. Passed English and Civics test but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751
  • 06/08/2023: Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed
  • 06/22/2023: Oath Ceremony - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

On 5/13/2024 at 1:40 PM, gunny.ream said:

I don't really agree with this. I had separate interview dates for my I-751 and N-400 and when I asked the officer who interviewed me for the N-400 about my I-751, he said he would talk to the officer that did my initial I-751 interview and ask why she hadn't made a decision yet.

I-751 timeline:

• 12/04/2018: Mailed I-751 with divorce waiver
  • 12/19/2018: Received by USCIS
  • 5/02/2019: Biometrics appointment
  • 5/03/2019: Case updated to show Fingerprints were taken and applied to my case 
  • 1/28/2020: Received an RFE
  • 2/05/2020: Response To Request For Evidence Was Received by USCIS
  • 8/12/2020: Case received at my local office
  • 9/16/2020: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 2/24/2021: Case scheduled for an interview
  • 4/06/2021: Interview done
  • 4/13/2022: Surprise Interview done at  my house
  • 12/08/2022: I-751 with divorce waiver APPROVED!
  • 12/21/2022: 10 yr Green Card Received.

N-400 timeline:

• 01/26/2022: Applied online and received by USCIS, Informed of Biometrics reuse
  • 06/17/2022: Interview scheduled
  • 08/04/2022: Interview done. Passed English and Civics test but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751
  • 06/08/2023: Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed
  • 06/22/2023: Oath Ceremony - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.