daisylynn

Husband getting an IR-1 Please help!

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's our situation...

I am a US citizen. I married my husband (a Canadian) 5 years ago and we moved to Canada. I became a permanent resident. We are now wanting to move back to the US to be closer to my family.

We thought we'd try to get a workplace to sponsor him, but from what I've been reading, that could be difficult. I didn't think there was any other way, as I don't work so wouldn't be able to sponsor him. But I've since found out that I can have a joint sponsor. So, now we're looking into what we would have to do. I was on another board and they directed me here.

Our main thing is that he needs to be able to work as soon as we get to the US. So, here are some of my questions...

1-With the IR-1-can we file all of that from here in Canada? Can we wait here until he gets his SSN so that he can then apply and find a job BEFORE we move?

2-Some have mentioned the DCF. What exactly is this and where can I read more about it?

3-Is there a 'kit' that I can send for with all the forms I need? I am having a hard time finding the forms and even knowing which ones we need to file.

4-I make NO money at all. Even with that, I can have a joint sponsor, right? And it can be anyone? Would they have to be at the interview in Montreal, or is that just my husband who would have to go?

5-How long does the process usually take from start to finish when going the IR-1 route?

Whew! I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions though. Thank you for ANY information you can give me! I went through the Immigration process 5 years ago when I moved and it was so stressful then. I'm finding those same feelings as I wade through all the information this time as well :wacko:

Tammy

*eta* What is the I-130. I keep reading about it and seeing it. Is it just another form in the whole process or does it go along with the IR-1 or what?

Edited by daisylynn

IR-1 Visa

8-14-2007 Mailed in husband's I-130 to Consulate in Toronto

8-15-2007 Toronto received I-130

8-27-2007 Toronto called to set up I-130 appointment

8-31-2007 Interview at Consulate Approved

9-25-2007 Received Packet 3 in mail

12-9-2007 Received police record (fingerprint version)

1-18-2008 Sent packet 3 back

2-26-2008 heard back from Montreal via email about our interview date

4-23-2008 Montreal Interview!!! Visa APPROVED!!

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

Currently residing in NC and loving it!

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-18-2011 Paperwork/check sent

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

7-02-2011 Oath Ceremony We're done!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Here's our situation...

I am a US citizen. I married my husband (a Canadian) 5 years ago and we moved to Canada. I became a permanent resident. We are now wanting to move back to the US to be closer to my family.

We thought we'd try to get a workplace to sponsor him, but from what I've been reading, that could be difficult. I didn't think there was any other way, as I don't work so wouldn't be able to sponsor him. But I've since found out that I can have a joint sponsor. So, now we're looking into what we would have to do. I was on another board and they directed me here.

Our main thing is that he needs to be able to work as soon as we get to the US. So, here are some of my questions...

1-With the IR-1-can we file all of that from here in Canada? Can we wait here until he gets his SSN so that he can then apply and find a job BEFORE we move?

2-Some have mentioned the DCF. What exactly is this and where can I read more about it?

3-Is there a 'kit' that I can send for with all the forms I need? I am having a hard time finding the forms and even knowing which ones we need to file.

4-I make NO money at all. Even with that, I can have a joint sponsor, right? And it can be anyone? Would they have to be at the interview in Montreal, or is that just my husband who would have to go?

5-How long does the process usually take from start to finish when going the IR-1 route?

Whew! I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions though. Thank you for ANY information you can give me! I went through the Immigration process 5 years ago when I moved and it was so stressful then. I'm finding those same feelings as I wade through all the information this time as well :wacko:

Tammy

*eta* What is the I-130. I keep reading about it and seeing it. Is it just another form in the whole process or does it go along with the IR-1 or what?

An immigrant visa allows him to work immediately, if he has a job. Start with the Guides. You can probably do a direct consular filing (DCF). Just click on the word "Guides" at the top of the page.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks! I was wondering why I couldn't find that.

About the DCF, when it talks about the consulate to file that at, does that mean Montreal (where the interview is) or is that any US consulate here in Canada? Where do I find out if noone here knows?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm just really trying to wrap my mind around all of this!

IR-1 Visa

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks! I was wondering why I couldn't find that.

About the DCF, when it talks about the consulate to file that at, does that mean Montreal (where the interview is) or is that any US consulate here in Canada? Where do I find out if noone here knows?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm just really trying to wrap my mind around all of this!

Hi there,

I would recommend you check out the Direct Consular Filing forum, once in the forum if you check out the top of the page there is a pinned topic called DCF Canada: Yes Virginia, You Can

When doing DCF in Canada, you can file at your local U.S. consulate, however the interview is held in Montreal.

The I-130 is the first form you file in a long list of forms.

Timeline

A ha! Thank you SO much!

So, just go ahead and fill out JUST the I-130 right now?

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
A ha! Thank you SO much!

A form G-325A (Biographic Data form - one for both you and your husband) also goes along with the I-130 - you will also need to send documents such as a copy of your passport, marriage license etc etc -

I can tell you hate reading forms (I know this because I hate it too!), the thing is there is no way around it in the visa process - you really have to read each form to ensure you get it right the first time, while a mistake isn't the end of the world you will lose a lot of time waiting for them to post you a request for more information.

The nice thing is, with this site, you get the opportunity to read the overview, so at least you have a vague idea of what the big picture is, however, you still have to read the whole darn instruction sheet :)

Timeline
A ha! Thank you SO much!

I strongly advise you to study the Guides here and to study the instructions that come with the I-130. They will tell you what you need to do and what supporting forms and documents are needed. You'll be better off starting there and then come back with specific questions. Your questions aren't stupid but your lack of preparation is glaring brightly.

Google is your friend so get used to it. If you want to know about US Consulates in Canada, Google "US Consulates in Canada". There is only one US Embassy in Canada, in Ottawa, but there are other Consulates.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I guess the main problem I am having is that I was told to file an IR-1 but can't seem to find that form anywhere! When I click on the IR-1 package information, it pulls up the I-130. I was/am just confused as to why I can't find the IR-1 and how the I-130 is related to it. I have read through the guides, but it still isn't clear to me.

And I know where the nearest consulate is. I just wasn't sure if I could file there or if I had to do it in Montreal. But I see that only the interview is in Montreal.

Edited by daisylynn

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

I guess the main problem I am having is that I was told to file an IR-1 but can't seem to find that form anywhere! When I click on the IR-1 package information, it pulls up the I-130. I was/am just confused as to why I can't find the IR-1 and how the I-130 is related to it. I have read through the guides, but it still isn't clear to me.

And I know where the nearest consulate is. I just wasn't sure if I could file there or if I had to do it in Montreal. But I see that only the interview is in Montreal.

You file form I-130 which" leads to" USCIS giving you an IR-1 visa since you've been married more than 2 years.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

You file form I-130 which" leads to" USCIS giving you an IR-1 visa since you've been married more than 2 years.

Yes and if you read the guides, this becomes very clear. IR1 is a visa not a form you fill out.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Yes and if you read the guides, this becomes very clear. IR1 is a visa not a form you fill out.

Yo pushprk!

If people read all the guides you wouldn't have anything to complain about or questions to answer! :blink:

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Thank you SO much beckypua!!! That makes total sense now!!! :D

IR-1 Visa

US Citizenship timeline:

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline
Thank you SO much beckypua!!! That makes total sense now!!! :D

hi daisylynn - don't worry - when I first came here I read all the guides twice over, had talked to two lawyers, and STILL didn't know what the heck was going on - it takes some time and 'soaking in' and nice, patient helpful people on VJ.com for some of this stuff to really make sense -

what I would suggest (as this is what I do every morning) is to read other people's posts, present and past, because a lot of times your question has been asked and answered already, and then when you have a specific question pertaining to your particular situation you can zero in on that-

welcome to VJ and good luck!

Rhiannon

"Entshuldigung, aber die Welt ist purpur."

Rhiannon (North Carolina, USA) + Michael (Limerick, IE)

Personal Timeline

4/1/06 - Met for the first time in France

7/26/06 - 4/12/07 - Met up in London, Edinburgh, Greensboro, Bristol, Limerick, etc etc etc

9/1/07 - Got married in US

I-130 Timeline

10/2/07 - Mailed off I-130

1/10/08 - Check cashed - yippee!

2/8/08 - NOA1

4/4/08 - NOA2

10/15/08 - AOS documents sent in

1/5/09 - Interview in Dublin

I-129f Timeline

Abandoned

.png

Timeline

Yo pushprk!

If people read all the guides you wouldn't have anything to complain about or questions to answer! :blink:

I expect most people would still have many questions after reading the guides. I know I would. The problem with not reading the guides is that people won't know what they don't know and so will not ask some important questions they need to ask. Becoming informed enough for success in this process takes a lot more than asking questions. Certain questions indicate the guides haven't been studied yet. That's the place to start.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Hi Daisylynn,

At the top of the DCF forum (just below this one on the main list) there is a topic pinned about doing a DCF in Canada. You should find a lot of useful information for your situation there. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.