russ

Russia Specific FAQ

113 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Dear Group,

A few more questions: :help:

1. My Masha, always inquisitive (F) , has been "told" by "experts" that the international passport should be biometric for the visa granting. There is nothing in the official requirements mentioning the need of a biometric passport. Is there really a need for a biometric passport for the visa interview and subsequent entry to the US of A?

2. Some time ago there were complaints about IOM's treatment during medical exams :angry: . But for non Moscow residents this a good deal since they give the medical results the same day. Have there been any recent complaints at IOM?

3. Please bear with me :blink: . The DHL mailer is basically a prepaid envelope in which the US Embassy will mail passports back to the beneficiaries. Right? If so, must the addressee be the beneficiary her(him)self, and must the fee be from sending something from Moscow to the beneficiary's place?

Thank you for your patience . :help:

Javier

Dear Group,

1. My Masha, always inquisitive (F) , has been "told" by "experts" that the international passport should be biometric for the visa granting. There is nothing in the official requirements mentioning the need of a biometric passport. Is there really a need for a biometric passport for the visa interview and subsequent entry to the US of A?

2. Some time ago there were complaints about IOM's treatment during medical exams :angry: . But for non Moscow residents this a good deal since they give the medical results the same day. Have there been any recent complaints at IOM?

3. Please bear with me :blink: . The DHL mailer is basically a prepaid envelope in which the US Embassy will mail passports back to the beneficiaries. Right? If so, must the addressee be the beneficiary her(him)self, and must the fee be from sending something from Moscow to the beneficiary's place?

Javier

My fiancee had her interview on April 2nd, and she applied for her international passport in Mid January. Her passport is not biometric and it was not an issue. No one even mentioned anything about it.

My fiancee had her medical exam just before her April 2nd interview, and she did it at IOM. She said that there were no problems at all and that it was a normal exam.

The prepaid mailer does not have to be the beneficiarys address. My fiancee put the address of her local DHL office in Sochi and arranged for them to call her when it arrived so she could pick it up. You should have it sent to the most reliable address.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Timeline
Dear Group,

Javier

My fiancee had her interview on April 2nd, and she applied for her international passport in Mid January. Her passport is not biometric and it was not an issue. No one even mentioned anything about it.

My fiancee had her medical exam just before her April 2nd interview, and she did it at IOM. She said that there were no problems at all and that it was a normal exam.

The prepaid mailer does not have to be the beneficiarys address. My fiancee put the address of her local DHL office in Sochi and arranged for them to call her when it arrived so she could pick it up. You should have it sent to the most reliable address.

Got it. :thumbs: Thank you so much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok, group. It is my turn to ask for advice/help again. I, too have "experts" that are telling me things (by experts, I refer to Russian women friends that are in my hometown). The I-134 "Affidavit of Support" clearly states that tax records are only needed if you are self employed. I did not send tax records to my fiance'e because I am employed. I sent four months worth of pay stubs, a copy of my W-2, a letter from my employer, a letter from my bank, and current copies of my IRA account.

I'm being reamed right now from the "experts" because I didn't send my 1040. Should I send the 1040?

Any input would be helpful.

Edited by Tars

Sept. 28, 2007---- Sent I-129F

Oct. 04, 2007----- Rec'd at CSC

Oct. 10, 2007----- NOA1 issued

as of Feb 21 2008---- No touches, not nothing :{

Feb 22, 2008------ Touched

Feb 24, 2008------ Touched

Feb 25, 2008------ Touched, request for add'l info

Mar 6, 2008------- Overnighted RFE info back to CSC

Mar 7, 2008------- CSC signed for RFE packet at 2:10 p.m.

Mar 25, 2008----- Touched, case processing resumed

Mar 26, 2008----- Touched, 8:30 am

Apr 3, 2008-------- Touched

Apr 4, 2008--------Touched

Apr 7, 2008--------Touched, 7:30 am

Apr 8, 2008--------NOA2, approval

Apr 12, 2008------NOA2 hardcopy received in the mail

Apr 16, 2008------NVC received case

Apr 18, 2008------NVC sent case to Moscow

Apr 29, 2008-----US Embassy in Moscow received case and set date for appointment

Jun 25, 2008-----Natalya travels to Moscow for medical and interview

Jun 30, 2008-----Natalya's interview, 0800 hours

Jun 30, 2008-----Natalya glides thru the interview.

Jul 13, 2008------Natalya flies to Oregon

-- "When A man seeks the prize of his heart, he does not think to count horses."

---- Chief Joseph, Nez Pierce

2453.gif

Timeline
Ok, group. It is my turn to ask for advice/help again. I, too have "experts" that are telling me things (by experts, I refer to Russian women friends that are in my hometown). The I-134 "Affidavit of Support" clearly states that tax records are only needed if you are self employed. I did not send tax records to my fiance'e because I am employed. I sent four months worth of pay stubs, a copy of my W-2, a letter from my employer, a letter from my bank, and current copies of my IRA account.

I'm being reamed right now from the "experts" because I didn't send my 1040. Should I send the 1040?

I am sending to Masha all of the above including the 06 and 07 tax records. I don't want any surprises. Your interview date is 6/30 so you have time. Why taking a chance? You could scan them and send them to her by email...

This is what I would do.... Best luck to you :thumbs:

Timeline

I am sending to Masha all of the above including the 06 and 07 tax records. I don't want any surprises. Your interview date is 6/30 so you have time. Why taking a chance? You could scan them and send them to her by email...

This is what I would do.... Best luck to you :thumbs:

Thanks for the input aspettando.

Tars

Sept. 28, 2007---- Sent I-129F

Oct. 04, 2007----- Rec'd at CSC

Oct. 10, 2007----- NOA1 issued

as of Feb 21 2008---- No touches, not nothing :{

Feb 22, 2008------ Touched

Feb 24, 2008------ Touched

Feb 25, 2008------ Touched, request for add'l info

Mar 6, 2008------- Overnighted RFE info back to CSC

Mar 7, 2008------- CSC signed for RFE packet at 2:10 p.m.

Mar 25, 2008----- Touched, case processing resumed

Mar 26, 2008----- Touched, 8:30 am

Apr 3, 2008-------- Touched

Apr 4, 2008--------Touched

Apr 7, 2008--------Touched, 7:30 am

Apr 8, 2008--------NOA2, approval

Apr 12, 2008------NOA2 hardcopy received in the mail

Apr 16, 2008------NVC received case

Apr 18, 2008------NVC sent case to Moscow

Apr 29, 2008-----US Embassy in Moscow received case and set date for appointment

Jun 25, 2008-----Natalya travels to Moscow for medical and interview

Jun 30, 2008-----Natalya's interview, 0800 hours

Jun 30, 2008-----Natalya glides thru the interview.

Jul 13, 2008------Natalya flies to Oregon

-- "When A man seeks the prize of his heart, he does not think to count horses."

---- Chief Joseph, Nez Pierce

2453.gif

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

IMHO (and having previous successful experience with the Moscow Embassy), you have provided more than adequate documentation of your income and employment. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about this at all.

JMO....... :)

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Dear Group :help: ,

My Masha, always creative (F) , claims she would need apostille translation (?) of

certificates (birth and divorce). I told her :angry: no but I promise to ask in the

forum :wacko: . In case this makes a difference: She has a boy who will start

high school this year here. Your replies are very very very appreciated.

Thank you :thumbs:

Javier

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
My Masha, always creative (F) , claims she would need apostille translation (?) of

certificates (birth and divorce).

Don't need them for US immigration. Only need them when trying to prove up a US document to the Russian officials.

First and foremost, there are no such things as "experts" on what is needed for the VJ process located in Russia. They are all here on VJ!

Disregard what the "experts" are telling you/her over there and take the advice of those who've been through the process already here on this forum.

What you've sent already more than meets the needs. Tell the "experts" to get more training.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 9 months later...
Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

The two links provided earlier for finding out date of interview from the USEM do not work.

Here is what I just found when at the USEM website: http://moscow.usembassy.gov/ivinterv.html

On-Line Appointment Information

The Consular Section is pleased to announce the availability of online information regarding scheduled immigrant visa appointments.

Please note that in order to use this system, you must know the case number of your immigrant visa application. This number was provided to you when your petition was approved (i.e, MOS2002123456, SRC-12-345-67890). You can not use this system if your petition has not yet been approved. Please note that it takes USCIS and the National Visa Center several weeks to formally notify the Consular Section that a petition has been approved.

Appointment schedules are updated weekly at 8:00 a.m. Monday, Moscow time.

All immigrant visa appointments begin at 8:00 a.m. Applicants should arrive at the Embassy's Novinskiy Bulvar gate at 7:40 a.m. (You must already know your case number)

Click here for visas CR1/2, IR1/2/5, E1/2/3/4, F, K1/2/3/4 and V1/2/3

Important: Use your browser's search function to find your case number.

Timeline:

17 Nov 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

03 Apr 2009 - NOA2 approval (email)

09 Apr 2009 - NVC received

13 Apr 2009 - Sent to Embassy

23 Jun 2009 - Interview date USEM - Posted USEM website 30 Apr 2009

Timeline

How long does it take to receive the K-1 visa once the interview is complete? We are taking a trip to Thailand directly after the interview in Moscow, but I'm not sure how many days to allow for the K-1 after the interview? I don't expect to have to provide any additional information/proof, since we've been working together in Russia the last few years. Can I safely schedule a plane flight out of Moscow the day after the interview?

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-02-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-02-17

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-19

NVC Received : 2009-04-01

Interview Date : 2009-06-03

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
How long does it take to receive the K-1 visa once the interview is complete? We are taking a trip to Thailand directly after the interview in Moscow, but I'm not sure how many days to allow for the K-1 after the interview? I don't expect to have to provide any additional information/proof, since we've been working together in Russia the last few years. Can I safely schedule a plane flight out of Moscow the day after the interview?

Not a good ideal as they do not give you back the passport and visa the day of the interview. You must provide a prepaid DHL mailer and they will mail the passport with the visa and document package to the home address given, or you can have DHL hold it at one of the Moscow offices for pick up. Better allow at least two or three days for that.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

• 4 months later...
Timeline

Not a good ideal as they do not give you back the passport and visa the day of the interview. You must provide a prepaid DHL mailer and they will mail the passport with the visa and document package to the home address given, or you can have DHL hold it at one of the Moscow offices for pick up. Better allow at least two or three days for that.

Is there any specific information on how exactly to do this (Holding the package at the DHL office in Moscow)? We definitely want to do this because it makes no sense to fly all the way to Moscow and then fly all the way back to get a document the next day then turn around and fly back to Moscow again in route to the US. Not sure why they force this process as it is not the same at other embassies and I know this through experience (Frankfurt you can pick it up that same day as the interview, actually within hours of the interview).

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-09

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-02

Pkg Rec. By NVC : 2009-10-07

Pkg Left NVC : 2009-10-09

Rec by Moscow : 2009-10-13

Packet 3 Sent : Never Received

Interview Date : 2009-11-20 PASS!

POE : 2009-11-29

WEDDING : 2009-12-26!

She can request to have her visa held by the DHL office. Part of the interview process is for the interviewee to pay for a DHL airbill that they take with them to the interview and that's what the passport is shipped in. If she simply purchases one from the DHL office that says, "hold at office" or whatever, then they'll ship it from the embassy to the office and hold it until she can come pick it up.

As for making sense for her to fly to Moscow, fly home, fly back through Moscow on the way to the U.S., well, there are several variables. If she has a good place to stay in Moscow and will be ready to go to the U.S. a few days after her interview, then sure, it makes sense. But, if she has to pay (or you have to pay) for a hotel in Moscow for a few extra days, maybe flying home would be cheaper. Maybe she has some "unfinished business" to take care of. What if she gets denied for some reason? What if the plane tickets are for Thursday and she doesn't get the visa til Friday?

Who knows what's going to happen. If you plan it out ahead of time and she's ready to go, then it could make sense. If you have a lot of money, by all means, time it down to the exact second where she can grab the passport and boogy on out of there. But, if you don't have thousands of dollars to waste, maybe she should go home first.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.