Devguru 2026

What To Take With Me to

4 posts in this topic

I now have citizenship interview setup for July 14th, 2023 after filing for N-400 as a permanent resident - one who fully resided  in the US for more than 5 years.     

When I submitted N-400 app;  I also submitted copies of 2021 taxes.

A. .  Since then, I have just mailed in taxes for 2022; and been unemployed for a month and half or so - and started a new one  now.     Can I just take a copy of 2022 taxes mailed for the the interview?     

B.   Since I also a landlord and happen to have a non-paying tenant, for whom I am about file a case to evict the tenant who's not paying for few months  now.   This will probably show as a public record - would this negatively 

impact  my application decision?

C.  I see a checklist to take with me to the interview on the USCIS web site - however it is not specific to my type of case.      What should take with me; is there a more pragmatic/precise checklist for my type of case?   I uploaded most the stuff during the application.

13 hours ago, Devguru 2026 said:

Can I just take a copy of 2022 taxes mailed for the the interview

I personally can only answer the first and third questions:

1) Create an account on the IRS website and print out your tax transcripts for the past five years (including 2022). It takes time to create an account there but it's worth it. Your 2022 taxes will be there - print them from the IRS account. 

2) ?? [I personally don't think it will have any affect on your case, I'm not a lawyer though]

3) I also applied based on a 5-year rule. When filing the application online, I only attached my green card and my marriage certificate. At the interview they only asked me for my green card, my id (I gave them my state id) and my passport (from my home country). I did bring with me everything I could print from the IRS personal account (like tax transcripts etc.); including printouts that I don't owe anything to the IRS (just printed screenshots from the IRS with $0.00 debt for the past four years, I believe); all of my previous expired passports with all the travel stamps; even all the previous official documents in regards to my green cards. However, none of it was ever asked. 

Edited by FriendlyUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your interview letter will state the bare minimum of what you are required to bring, so read it (it's in the small print).  Basically, bring anything that you submitted to petition your case.  

I'd definitely set up an IRS account and bring your tax transcripts.  These prove not only that you did your taxes, but they were submitted and reviewed by the IRS.  Just a little bit of extra reassurance that you did as you should.  

If you own a property and your tenant has violated the terms and conditions in your lease agreement, that's not a mark against you, so don't stress.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.