stringpuller

Passport expiration and Interview

31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 5/9/2023 at 11:17 AM, Chancy said:

*** Moved from US Embassy & Consulate Discussion to the Vietnam regional forum, for country-specific input ***

Also, her medical from 2022 would likely be expired by June.  Did she already undergo another visa medical?

Hi yes she did another one on May 19th. 

Now the question of the passport expiry in September. 

In Vietnam do they take your old passport when you renew it? 

I read here that she could copy all pages, take the copies to 221g appt while renewing passport.

Doesn't the passport number need to match the DS260? And will they ask to update the DS260? 

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 5/30/2023 at 11:09 AM, stringpuller said:

Hi yes she did another one on May 19th. 

Now the question of the passport expiry in September. 

In Vietnam do they take your old passport when you renew it? 

I read here that she could copy all pages, take the copies to 221g appt while renewing passport.

Doesn't the passport number need to match the DS260? And will they ask to update the DS260? 

Thank you

From experience . . . she will need to have a new passport to leave Vietnam if it is expiring in September.  My son had 5 months and 3 weeks left on his Vietnamese passport when we tried leaving Vietnam in February.  He was not permitted to leave even though we showed his green card.  They were enforcing the 6-month requirement strictly.  No negotiating.  It took 3 weeks to get his new ID (required because he's 16) and then passport expedited . . . and a lot of "fees!"  Without the fees, it would have been 2+ months. Airport officials in Hanoi were not interested in negotiating the rule. 

There were 2 options for the new passport.   If you are in a hurry, get the one without the chip since those take longer.  He did not get his old passport back and the new number is different from the old one.  Luckily he was not traveling on green card stamps in his passport like my wife and daughter. 

Jason

Timeline
4 hours ago, JasonGG said:

From experience . . . she will need to have a new passport to leave Vietnam if it is expiring in September.  My son had 5 months and 3 weeks left on his Vietnamese passport when we tried leaving Vietnam in February.  He was not permitted to leave even though we showed his green card.  They were enforcing the 6-month requirement strictly.  No negotiating.  It took 3 weeks to get his new ID (required because he's 16) and then passport expedited . . . and a lot of "fees!"  Without the fees, it would have been 2+ months. Airport officials in Hanoi were not interested in negotiating the rule. 

There were 2 options for the new passport.   If you are in a hurry, get the one without the chip since those take longer.  He did not get his old passport back and the new number is different from the old one.  Luckily he was not traveling on green card stamps in his passport like my wife and daughter. 

Jason

Thanks for the info. Well her appointment is monday. We will go through it and see. Whzt a MESSY process all around while so many ppl just walk into the US everyday. Smh

Timeline

Hello everyone. 

She received another blue slip. It says Pivot Case. 

It says no additional information needed. They told my wife they will call her? 

Never heard of this 

Timeline

On the form it says pivot case and it says additional administrative processing. They did not ask for any additional documents

Edited by stringpuller

Timeline
21 hours ago, stringpuller said:

On the form it says pivot case and it says additional administrative processing. They did not ask for any additional documents

Ok I feel dumb. They all say pivot case haha. Welp just hope for a favorable outcome. They asked for nothing more. AP we are

Timeline
On 6/2/2023 at 8:24 AM, JasonGG said:

Jason

This waiting is really nerve racking. 

Is it a really bad sign that they did not keep her passport at the 221g appointment? 

They  collected family tree papers and ex spouse information. Thats it. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, stringpuller said:

This waiting is really nerve racking. 

Is it a really bad sign that they did not keep her passport at the 221g appointment? 

They  collected family tree papers and ex spouse information. Thats it. 

They probably didn't keep her passport because it doesn't have enough time on it for her to leave the country.  I am assuming they are going through their approval process, but will contact her to supply a new passport.  You don't want them to stick her visa into a passport she can't use! :)

Edited by JasonGG

Timeline
1 hour ago, JasonGG said:

They probably didn't keep her passport because it doesn't have enough time on it for her to leave the country.  I am assuming they are going through their approval process, but will contact her to supply a new passport.  You don't want them to stick her visa into a passport she can't use! :)

Thanks Man. i hope you are right and I already told her that she will most likely need to enter with 2 passports. A new one and the DS260 one. 

Timeline
15 hours ago, JasonGG said:

There are people I have read that traveled with 2 passports one new one and one that matches the DS260. I am hoping for the best. 

Timeline
On 6/2/2023 at 8:24 AM, JasonGG said:

Jason

Just had a phone interview with the consulate. They called me 

Timeline
9 hours ago, stringpuller said:

Just had a phone interview with the consulate. They called me 

Did they give any indication what - if any - issues they have with your case?  Hope it will be resolved quickly. - Jason

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

Did they give any indication what - if any - issues they have with your case?  Hope it will be resolved quickly. - Jason

No they did not say. Just asked the most common questions. Nothing jumped out as odd. 

I was really surprised they did basically a stokes by phone. They called her first. 

From my research this is not good. Hoping for the best but bracing for anything. 

We are a real couple. Not fake and this process is very taxing. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

Also the odd thing to me was they had a vietnamese speaking English officer call me. I would think they would have the American officer call. 

I understood her mostly but some things were not clear the first time I heard her. I had to ask her to repeat. 

37 minutes ago, stringpuller said:

Also the odd thing to me was they had a vietnamese speaking English officer call me. I would think they would have the American officer call. 

I understood her mostly but some things were not clear the first time I heard her. I had to ask her to repeat. 

You realize some American citizens have strong accents, right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.