EatBulaga

Global Entry with Conditional Green Card?

9 posts in this topic

Greetings Everyone,

Has anyone gotten the Global Entry card with a Conditional Green Card?

https://ttp.dhs.gov/

Global Entry is for 5-year, but will DHS grant 5-year card with a 2-year Green Card?

If anyone has experience with this please post your experience or advice about things to look out for? 
Thanks in advance.

Edited by EatBulaga

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

My wife did earlier this year, with her 2 year GC. No issues whatsoever, approved in a couple of days. The hardest thing was getting an interview appointment slot, but once scheduled, it consisted of taking a photo and fingerprinting. No questions. 

13 minutes ago, Asterix78 said:

My wife did earlier this year, with her 2 year GC. No issues whatsoever, approved in a couple of days. The hardest thing was getting an interview appointment slot, but once scheduled, it consisted of taking a photo and fingerprinting. No questions. 

Was her global entry card 5-year?

17 hours ago, Asterix78 said:

Yes, expires in 2028.

Okay you convinced me!😉

We filed for the Global Entry for my foreign spouse with her 2-year conditional green card.

Just a few things to note:

1. Creating the login account to the Trusted Traveler Program is a little tricky.

https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/

You are actually creating another login account to 

https://login.gov/

which requires a 2-step authentication. 

So in addition to creating a username/password, you need to select from a list of methods for the second authentication.

Remember the Global Entry application is for the person with the login, so theoretically the US citizen is not applying for the foreign spouse. 
The foreign spouse is applying for himself/herself.

2. Filling out the Global Entry application requires the passport, green card, and driver's license.

I think a state id can be substituted for the driver's license?

3. When completing the 5-year address info and the 5-year employment history, referring back to the I-129F is really helpful. 

Last thing we want is the Global Entry application not be consistent with the I-129F info since USCIS is part of Homeland Security, and CBP and TSA are part of Homeland Security.

4. The Global Entry fee is $100 for 5 years, and it is another valid picture ID. 

As a US citizen, I have traveled abroad and entered the US with Global Entry and without Global Entry.

Trust me--I've saved many many hours if not accumulated days entering with Global Entry so the $100 easily pays for itself with the time saved.

And from what I read, having the Global Entry reduces your chance of getting the dreaded SSSS boarding pass.

The icing on the cake is the $100 also includes TSA Pre-check.

So at this time, my foreign spouse's Global Entry application is pending review.

The next step is conditional acceptance and finding an interview spot.

If anyone cares to read it, I can post rest of our Global Entry experience here?

Edited by EatBulaga

Both my wife and stepdaughter got Global Entry without the slightest problem with their 2 year CR-1 and CR-2 green cards.  Getting the interviews were pretty ridiculous though.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

I got GE last year and I'm only a conditional GC holder currently. They don't care. Just took forever to get approval for me personally, but that seems to be the norm for a lot of people, (including some unlucky citizens) anyway.

asdf

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Green Card holders interested in Global Entry,

After getting conditional approval for the GE, we were fortunate to get a GE interview at our nearest airport in about a month.

We read cases where some are still waiting for interviews 6-12 months out.

My foreign spouse only has a 2-year Green Card and was approved for the Global Entry, so these are some lessons learned that are probably true for 10-year Green Card holders as well:

1. Getting a convenient interview date and location can be a little tricky and is the hardest part of the whole process.

You have to keep checking back almost everyday to see what opens up. We first scheduled an appointment at another location farther away but within our date limits in hopes of re-scheduling later if nothing opens up. And we noticed that more locations/date were opening up whenever we go back to try to re-schedule. I read one advice that CBP releases new interview location/dates every first Monday of the month. I think we checked on a Tuesday after the first Monday of the month to get our preferred interview location/date. There is also the Enrollment On Arrival option if you already have an international travel, but you need to arrive at a Port Of Entry with a Global Entry office during their working hours, so that will require some flight scheduling if you plan to do that.

2. My foreign spouse's passport name (maiden name) did not match the green card name (married name).

Even though she showed the GE agent our marriage certificate, the GE agent said that she may be pulled aside for more questioning at the Port Of Entry. We thought the GE agent could maybe upload the marriage certificate to avoid any confusion, but the GE agent said they could not, but they will issue her a GE card anyways with the understanding that she may still get questioned at the POE. Carrying around the marriage certificate during travel for passport-green card name mismatch is the usual procedure anyways but hopefully, the GE line will be shorter and more efficient than the regular immigration line when the time comes to enter from international travel. Thinking back in hindsight when we were uploading document information for the GE application, the site did allow us to upload other documents like a second passport, etc. besides the standard passport, driver's license, and green card. And we should have uploaded our marriage certificate then because now the only way to update new documents is thru GE agent. And since the GE agent chose not to accept the document then we are stuck with the potential questioning at the POE.

3. To follow up on the passport name and green card name mismatch, the GE agent did say whenever the foreign spouse updates her foreign passport to the green card name, we can take it down to the GE office without the need for scheduling an interview and they will update her GE with the new passport name. This also makes me think that GE offices are maybe open to walk-in interviews if they are not busy? Because they have to accommodate for Enrollment On Arrivals anyways? But that may be hit-of-miss depending on how busy they are? What we observed was that most people with interview appointments were in-out of the office within 5-10 minutes. Since my foreign spouse had the special case of name mismatch, she was in-out in 15 minutes.

Ideally, GE is supposed to do the background check and approve low-risk international travelers for the faster immigration processing thru the GE line. And the scheduled interview is really just to verify in-person your passport information along with the immigration status, and driver's license (REAL ID). The reason I got my foreign spouse GE was that we hope it will be less immigration hassle at entry. But I'm getting the feeling that GE does not guarantee lesser hassles, but maybe a shorter line?

On 5/21/2023 at 1:53 PM, EatBulaga said:

But I'm getting the feeling that GE does not guarantee lesser hassles, but maybe a shorter line?

There's never guarantees with US immigration, that's for sure.

Thank you for detailed report on GE experience !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.