nat and dongyoung

USCIS to NVC Case Delay (more than 2 months)

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

My fiancé and I recieved our NOA2 on 2/22. We still have not received any notification from the NVC that our petition has been recieved and we have not yet recieved our case number. We have submitted a few inquiries to the NVC to check for an update and we received the same message each time, informing us know that it can take up to 6 weeks to receive a petition. On the NVC website, it's listed that they are now processing cases that were received on 4/14. We are worried because it has been more than 2 months from our approval date. We also know that our petition will expire after a certain amount of time which is another factor we are worried about. Is anyone experiencing the same delays?

3 minutes ago, Nat & Dongyoung said:

My fiancé and I recieved our NOA2 on 2/22. We still have not received any notification from the NVC that our petition has been recieved and we have not yet recieved our case number. We have submitted a few inquiries to the NVC to check for an update and we received the same message each time, informing us know that it can take up to 6 weeks to receive a petition. On the NVC website, it's listed that they are now processing cases that were received on 4/14. We are worried because it has been more than 2 months from our approval date. We also know that our petition will expire after a certain amount of time which is another factor we are worried about. Is anyone experiencing the same delays?

The consulate can (and will) reinstate any expired petition.

Delays between dispatching approved petitions from the CSC to NVC are usually consulate-driven as well.  The NVC does not 'process' I-129F petitions in the same way they do other ones (like collecting required documents for spousal/family petitions).  The NVC mails petitions to consulates overseas when requested.  In previous years, they were sent in batches every two weeks - now consular backlogs mean there is no predictable schedule.  Your consulate must be backed up for interviews at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 7:11 AM, SalishSea said:

The consulate can (and will) reinstate any expired petition.

Delays between dispatching approved petitions from the CSC to NVC are usually consulate-driven as well.  The NVC does not 'process' I-129F petitions in the same way they do other ones (like collecting required documents for spousal/family petitions).  The NVC mails petitions to consulates overseas when requested.  In previous years, they were sent in batches every two weeks - now consular backlogs mean there is no predictable schedule.  Your consulate must be backed up for interviews at the moment.

Aren't you talking about something different from the original poster though? They aren't talking about NVC mailing petitions, they are talking about NVC not having received it at all.

I'm In the same boat, about to hit two months and NVC is telling me in emails they still don't have my case and will check with USCIS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
32 minutes ago, TannerH said:

Aren't you talking about something different from the original poster though? They aren't talking about NVC mailing petitions, they are talking about NVC not having received it at all.

I'm In the same boat, about to hit two months and NVC is telling me in emails they still don't have my case and will check with USCIS.

Okay, didn’t know if it was just the way I worded things but yeah, I’m in the same boat. I’ve tried contacting USCIS and NVC and they just keep saying the same thing. The NVC said they’ll try to locate our petition but I doubt we’ll hear anything regarding that matter.. it’s already been a few weeks since. USCIS is now telling us to wait 90 days for our petition to be mailed to the NVC before we contact them again. It’s all very nerveracking.

5 hours ago, TannerH said:

I understood the original message.

During Covid, the California Service Center (CSC), where petitions are adjudicated would hold approved petitions until the NVC requested them.  They may still be doing that.  In other words, if the backup is further along the chain at the consulate, there is no rush to send approved petitions to NVC.  If they're going to just sit there, they can sit at the CSC.  

Just a thought, since it seems to be a pattern, rather than isolated.

It took us 86 days to receive our case number from NOA2 and our case was expedited. Unfortunately, patience has to remain being your best friend. 

11 hours ago, SalishSea said:

I understood the original message.

During Covid, the California Service Center (CSC), where petitions are adjudicated would hold approved petitions until the NVC requested them.  They may still be doing that.  In other words, if the backup is further along the chain at the consulate, there is no rush to send approved petitions to NVC.  If they're going to just sit there, they can sit at the CSC.  

Just a thought, since it seems to be a pattern, rather than isolated.

This makes sense to me. Looking at limited timeline data at VJ, it seems like CSC is dispatching cases out of order. Some people's cases from early April have been received by NVC. Maybe these people whose cases were received didn't have backlog in their country and people who are waiting 70-80+ days have large enough backlog to stay put in CSC

I-129F Package Sent to USCIS: January 28, 2022
NOA1: February 02, 2022
NOA2: April 04, 2023
NVC Case Number Received: June 27, 2023
NVC Sent to Embassy: July 03, 2023
Embassy Received Case: July 10, 2023
Packet 4 Received: July 11, 2023

Interview Scheduled: August 28, 2023

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.