reey

IS US citizenship of parent before or after giving birth to your children?

22 posts in this topic

For the N600k.does it matter how long ago my dad(grandfather died)as i can see if its the parents who are deceased then you have to file within 5 yrs?

My dad passed almost 10 yrs ago.

-also i do have his proof of residence but most of them are photocopies no originals.is that an issue.eg navy,school,employment.

Also most of what i have is when he was 14 yrs and older?is that fine.

His birth certificate is laminated but his passport is not.

On 4/23/2023 at 3:47 PM, reey said:

For the N600k.does it matter how long ago my dad(grandfather died)as i can see if its the parents who are deceased then you have to file within 5 yrs?

Um, if your child is qualifying based on your dad's US physical presence, how will your dad sign the form and attend the interview?

From page 1 of the N-600K form -- "NOTE: The applicant on this form is the child's parent, grandparent, or legal guardian."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Um, if your child is qualifying based on your dad's US physical presence, how will your dad sign the form and attend the interview?

From page 1 of the N-600K form -- "NOTE: The applicant on this form is the child's parent, grandparent, or legal guardian."

https://fullerimmigration.com/lawyer/2016/04/13/Immigrant-Visas/Obtaining-U.S.-Citizenship-Through-a-Grandparent_bl23880.htm

If the grandparent is dead, the provision is still available.  All that is required is that the grandparent was a U.S. citizen and met the physical presence requirements at the time of his or her death.”

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If the grandparent is dead, the provision is still available.  All that is required is that the grandparent was a U.S. citizen and met the physical presence requirements at the time of his or her death.”

Thanks.  I was looking for exceptions to the interview requirement for N-600K in the policy manual.  Turns out, it's not always required if the documentation of US citizenship and physical presence is sufficient.

Timeline

The instructions make it clear a guardian can file on the basis of grand parent’s physical presence if parent and grand parent are deceased. Logically, a parent can file if the grand parent is deceased. 

OP’s bigger problem is not that the grand parent  has passed away: it is that she no longer has the originals she used to get her U.S. passport. 

Timeline
On 4/23/2023 at 9:47 PM, reey said:

no

My dad passed almost 10 yrs ago.

-also i do have his proof of residence but most of them are photocopies no originals.is that an issue.eg navy,school,employment.

Also most of what i have is when he was 14 yrs and older?is that fine

no

His birth certificate is laminated but his passport is not.

Not good.

USCIS might let it slide.

Thank u guyz.so i managed to find more stuff(letter of employment,university transcripts)all originals.plus my 2 aunts got me a sworn affidavit showing that they knew my dad..And also just confirmed from my mum that my dads passport is all we needed for me to obtain citizenship .Also found more income tax documentations and his medicare card(not sure thats imp).hoping these will be enough

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.