36 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello VJ,

First of all, I'd like to say that I am not a troll. I post here on a regular basis but I just wish to remain anonymous under the circumstances. Thank you for understanding this.

Now for the real deal ... I have a conditional GC and when I first got here, everything was fine and dandy. However, my husband is having some major personal issues and at the moment, he has turned into someone completely different. I am 8 weeks pregnant and there is already a 6 year old child involved so I am really trying to get some advice here.

My husband abandoned me, according to what the law says. He kicked me out of the house last night. I told him by law he cant do this because we are married and he then called the police. Police came and told him he can't kick me out BUT, after saying that, they told me to spend the night somewhere else so things wouldn't escalate. I am now at a friends house still.

My husband left this morning to go on vacation until August 10th. He took my ATM cards, took me off his account, and left me no money. I have no groceries and mind you, if I were alone, it wouldn't be so bad but I have a child involved here and she is suffering.

Last night while the police were still there, I asked him to buy me a plane ticket to send me back to Germany. He refused. So in other words, he is refusing to provide for me but at the same time, he is keeping me here. I feel like a prisoner. I don't want to be here anymore and I just really want to leave here. My family has no money to send me to get me back to Germany.

What about this affidavit of support? I mean, since he is keeping me here, he is legally bound by that so how do I enforce it? Please, my daughter is seriously suffering and scared to death. I don't know what to do. I have no clue who to call or anything else. :(

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Is there no german ambasy close to you were you can go to?

Good luck.

--------------

My time line

--------------

K-1

--------

2-1-2006 he sended in the I-129F

9-19-2006 Medical

9-26-2006 final interview

2-8-2007 arived in hawaii

4-1-2007 our wedding day

---------------------------------------

AOS

-------

5-3-2007 I-765 and I-485

5-7-2007 forms received by USCIS

5-14-2007 NOA 1

7-12-2007 biometrics

8-15-2007 interview

8-16-2007 got welcome email

8-21-2007 got welcome letter

8-30-2007 received greencard

Go back to the house while he is gone. If you need cash for groceries, have a garage sale. Meanwhile, contact a divorce lawyer regarding temporary support and possibly sole use of the domicile until things can be worked out legally. You can also contact support agencies in your area such as catholic charities (you don't have to be catholic)

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline
Go back to the house while he is gone. If you need cash for groceries, have a garage sale. Meanwhile, contact a divorce lawyer regarding temporary support and possibly sole use of the domicile until things can be worked out legally. You can also contact support agencies in your area such as catholic charities (you don't have to be catholic)

OK. I don't have much to sell. The police told me last night that any of the property damaged or anything, I will be held responsible for and will be charged. So I assume that if I end up selling stuff, they may charge me because at this point, my husband swears everything is his. I came from Germany with just a suitcase full of clothes so I don't have much.

I will contact the local catholic charity and see what they can help me with. Do you know of any other agencies?

OK. I don't have much to sell. The police told me last night that any of the property damaged or anything, I will be held responsible for and will be charged. So I assume that if I end up selling stuff, they may charge me because at this point, my husband swears everything is his. I came from Germany with just a suitcase full of clothes so I don't have much.

I will contact the local catholic charity and see what they can help me with. Do you know of any other agencies?

Catholic Charities should be able to help you with local food banks and other aide as you may require.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

First, try your local YMCA. The one in our city offers immigration services at (I believe) a pretty low fee.

Do a Google search on charities that offer immigration services in YOUR city.

Second, Attorney Laurel Scott just finished answering questions for FREE at her weekly website immigration chat (11am - 12 pm).

Maybe you can remember to join the chat NEXT Wed at 11:00 CENTRAL Standard Time.

Make sure you log in before 11 so you can ask your question.

Test you computer to make sure you are able to properly see the chat screen. I would hate for you to try to get in next Wed. only to discover, that you don't have Java on your computer, or some other problem exists.

Here's the chat site: http://www.visacentral.net/forum.html

Timeline

Catholic Charities should be able to help you with local food banks and other aide as you may require.

OK. Thanks. I just did a search on google and came across a few other organizations that might help as well. At least now I'm off to a start with that.

Do you know how I can get back to Germany, providing that he refuses to get me a ticket to leave? I cannot stay here - this is pure torture. I know when he comes back from vacation, it will start all over again.

First, try your local YMCA. The one in our city offers immigration services at (I believe) a pretty low fee.

Do a Google search on charities that offer immigration services in YOUR city.

Second, Attorney Laurel Scott just finished answering questions for FREE at her weekly website immigration chat (11am - 12 pm).

Maybe you can remember to join the chat NEXT Wed at 11:00 CENTRAL Standard Time.

Make sure you log in before 11 so you can ask your question.

Test you computer to make sure you are able to properly see the chat screen. I would hate for you to try to get in next Wed. only to discover, that you don't have Java on your computer, or some other problem exists.

Here's the chat site: http://www.visacentral.net/forum.html

OK, thank you for that info. I will try that as well.

Do you know how I can get back to Germany, providing that he refuses to get me a ticket to leave? I cannot stay here - this is pure torture. I know when he comes back from vacation, it will start all over again.

That's why it's important to contact a family law attorney. You may not have to deal with your husband at all when he returns. He may find that he is the one that cannot use the home until it is all worked out. He is financially responsible and the attorney will know how best to see to it that you are taken care of. Call around--I'm sure there are many attorneys in your area that will take your case without you having any money to pay them. They will seek their compensation through the court from him.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

Filed: Timeline
Hello VJ,

First of all, I'd like to say that I am not a troll. I post here on a regular basis but I just wish to remain anonymous under the circumstances. Thank you for understanding this.

Now for the real deal ... I have a conditional GC and when I first got here, everything was fine and dandy. However, my husband is having some major personal issues and at the moment, he has turned into someone completely different. I am 8 weeks pregnant and there is already a 6 year old child involved so I am really trying to get some advice here.

My husband abandoned me, according to what the law says. He kicked me out of the house last night. I told him by law he cant do this because we are married and he then called the police. Police came and told him he can't kick me out BUT, after saying that, they told me to spend the night somewhere else so things wouldn't escalate. I am now at a friends house still.

My husband left this morning to go on vacation until August 10th. He took my ATM cards, took me off his account, and left me no money. I have no groceries and mind you, if I were alone, it wouldn't be so bad but I have a child involved here and she is suffering.

Last night while the police were still there, I asked him to buy me a plane ticket to send me back to Germany. He refused. So in other words, he is refusing to provide for me but at the same time, he is keeping me here. I feel like a prisoner. I don't want to be here anymore and I just really want to leave here. My family has no money to send me to get me back to Germany.

What about this affidavit of support? I mean, since he is keeping me here, he is legally bound by that so how do I enforce it? Please, my daughter is seriously suffering and scared to death. I don't know what to do. I have no clue who to call or anything else. :(

What state are you living in? Have you been residing in this home for 90 days or more? As for immediate relief, do you have a relationship with any neighbours in the immediate area, that you could borrow some cash for groceries from until this gets sorted out?

Although it might appear otherwise right now, your husband leaving for a couple of weeks might give you time to get your ducks in a row. I;d call around the area for a lawyer's referral service (most Bar Assocs have one) and find a family lawyer. A first consult shouldn't cost you anything, but prior to doing so, get a list of questions assembled, in terms of your rights (marital rights); what constitutes abandonment (first instinct here is that he has not legally abandoned you, not in legal terms anyway); what you can and cannot do with joint possessions, funds etc.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

You may even find that the National Domestic Violence Helpine has some useful links. What he is doing (controlling everything)i is one form of abuse.

http://www.ndvh.org/

How is your relationship?

Does your partner:

Embarrass you with put-downs?

Look at you or act in ways that scare you?

Control what you do, who you see or talk to or where you go?

Stop you from seeing your friends or family members?

Take your money or Social Security check, make you ask for money or refuse to give you money?

Make all of the decisions?

Tell you that you’re a bad parent or threaten to take away or hurt your children?

Prevent you from working or attending school?

Act like the abuse is no big deal, it’s your fault, or even deny doing it?

Destroy your property or threaten to kill your pets?

Intimidate you with guns, knives or other weapons?

Shove you, slap you, choke you, or hit you?

Force you to try and drop charges?

Threaten to commit suicide?

Threaten to kill you?

If you answered 'yes' to even one of these questions,

you may be in an abusive relationship.

In case you want to speak to anyone to see if can help here is a link to a website that enables you to sort by state, all lawyers specializing in Domestic Abuse. They will take a very serious view of what's been happening, especially because children are involved:

http://www.lawyers.com/Domestic-Violence/b...amp;CMP=KNC-MSN

Edited by perfect

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I did a Google seach...

It turns out that someone had the same question you did in another forum.

And attorney Laurel Scott provided the answer that - yes, your husband must still support you

Read her response to the question:

http://chat.lawinfo.com/affidavit_support_...5831/index.html

Maybe you can get enough money for a consultation. I know she charges $125.00 for 30 minutes on the phone.

God Bless

I did a Google seach...

It turns out that someone had the same question you did in another forum.

And attorney Laurel Scott provided the answer that - yes, your husband must still support you

Read her response to the question:

http://chat.lawinfo.com/affidavit_support_...5831/index.html

Maybe you can get enough money for a consultation. I know she charges $125.00 for 30 minutes on the phone.

God Bless

The immediate needs here are not those of immigration--they are family law. I would mention the enforceable support agreement (I-864) to every family law attorney you speak with.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.