oneoftheunderdogs

Mortgage in USC spouse's name

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi all,

getting ready to file my ROC here in a couple of weeks. I feel we have some solid evidence, deed to our house, car titles, joint checking and savings accounts, retirement accounts, etc. When we bought our house last year my wife applied for the mortgage in her name because I was still a student at the time (not anymore although she still makes about 50% more than me) and didn't make a lot. Like I said, all the paperwork such as the deed, title insurance, home owners insurance has both our names on it. Should I even include the mortgage statements in our package? I am leaning towards yes as I don't want to make it seem like we were hiding the fact that our mortgage is in her name SHOULD they send an RFE later on. Interested to hear your thoughts...

Thanks!

Naturalization

4/30/2024 Eligible to file for Naturalization

5/18/2024 Filed N-400 online, biometrics reused

5/20/2024 Case is being actively reviewed

Removal of Conditions

4/30/2023   Eligible to file for ROC

5/1/2023     Sent ROC package via USPS

5/4/2023     Package delivered to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

5/9/2023     Received text message confirming receipt, case #IOE....

5/10/2023   Check was cashed

5/11/2023   Case is being actively reviewed

5/15/2023   NOA received in the mail, biometrics reused

Marriage-Based AOS

3/3/2021   Sent application package to Chicago Lockbox

5/25/2021 Biometrics Appointment

7/29/2021 Interview date (Approved on the spot)

8/11/2021 Received Green Card in the mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Helping a fellow German! 😀

Absolutely fine! We had all of the things in our both names but adding a mortgage statement wont hurt! Does it get pulled from a shared Checking's Account? Would add those as well! 

Dont overthink it! You'll be fine

I-751 Timeline

04/03/2023 - Filed (UPS Elgin, IL Lockbox)

04/04/2023 - Received by USCIS 💌

04/07/2023 - Text Message with Case # 📲

04/11/2023 - Online Status changed to being Actively Reviewed 👀

04/14/2023 - Two USCIS Letters - Biometrics will be re-used / Log-in Info (Potomac Service Center 😰)

04/17/2023 - NOA FORM I-797 - 48 Month extension 🕗

Timeline

Thanks! Yes the mortgage comes out of our joint checking account, which I am submitting statements for!

Naturalization

Removal of Conditions

Marriage-Based AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 minute ago, oneoftheunderdogs said:

Thanks! Yes the mortgage comes out of our joint checking account, which I am submitting statements for!

It's Friday - Have a beer, lean back and relax! 

I completely get it - I drove myself nuts over weeks! PM me if you have more questions (Auf gerne auf Deutsch) 

Chicken Wings Love GIF by Buffalo Wild Wings

I-751 Timeline

04/03/2023 - Filed (UPS Elgin, IL Lockbox)

04/04/2023 - Received by USCIS 💌

04/07/2023 - Text Message with Case # 📲

04/11/2023 - Online Status changed to being Actively Reviewed 👀

04/14/2023 - Two USCIS Letters - Biometrics will be re-used / Log-in Info (Potomac Service Center 😰)

04/17/2023 - NOA FORM I-797 - 48 Month extension 🕗

Timeline
Just now, Bavarian91 said:

It's Friday - Have a beer, lean back and relax! 

I completely get it - I drove myself nuts over weeks! PM me if you have more questions (Auf gerne auf Deutsch) 

Chicken Wings Love GIF by Buffalo Wild Wings

Thank you!

Naturalization

Removal of Conditions

Marriage-Based AOS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My situation is the same, mortgage is in my citizen wife's name. But the deed is in our joint name as per the Florida law. I submitted a certified copy of the joint deed of the house. That should work along with copies of the bank statement highlighting the mortgage payment coming out of the joint bank account.

15 hours ago, oneoftheunderdogs said:

Hi all,

getting ready to file my ROC here in a couple of weeks. I feel we have some solid evidence, deed to our house, car titles, joint checking and savings accounts, retirement accounts, etc. When we bought our house last year my wife applied for the mortgage in her name because I was still a student at the time (not anymore although she still makes about 50% more than me) and didn't make a lot. Like I said, all the paperwork such as the deed, title insurance, home owners insurance has both our names on it. Should I even include the mortgage statements in our package? I am leaning towards yes as I don't want to make it seem like we were hiding the fact that our mortgage is in her name SHOULD they send an RFE later on. Interested to hear your thoughts...

Thanks!

Don't sweat it, my mortgage was only in my name since I had bought my house before my wife and I were married. I just wrote up a simple explanation stating that fact and included it with our I-751 packet easy peesee!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

If anything that would help your case since you jointly own the house but she took out the mortgage. In a sham marriage it would be the other way around and if the USC puts herself at risk it does show it is a legitimate marriage. However write a letter and put the whole thing mortgage, deed and payments in a HOUSE PACKAGE with a cover letter explaining the case as the officers don't have the patience to figure it out.

In my case my wife cosigned around 45K of my student loans and I included that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The deed works for joint ownership

when i did the spouse, visa i added Adil to deed

when he came to US, i thought to add him to mortgage but that meant doing a  refinance and paying closing costs again

no way was i going to pay those 

He is a citizen without joint mortgage

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.