Anaar

Affidavit of support

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malta
Timeline

Hello,

As I understand it, the sponsor must earn 125% annually from the poverty guidelines to qualify for the affidavit of support for the k-1 visa, so more than 24,650k annually?

Can someone please explain how does it work exactly?

Do they take in consideration the debts, loans, and child support payments of the sponsor if he is divorced and has a child from a previous marriage and deduct those from the annual income sum?

Do they take in consideration if the beneficiary has a sum of money from a previous property owned and that was sold? Would that qualify for self support?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The best place to start is by reading the I 134, available on line and then asking for clarification on any points.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 hours ago, Anaar said:

As I understand it, the sponsor must earn 125% annually from the poverty guidelines to qualify for the affidavit of support for the k-1 visa, so more than 24,650k annually?

For the K1, the I-134 requirement is 100% of the poverty guidelines.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/topics/poverty-economic-mobility/poverty-guidelines

For the AOS, the I-864 requirement is 125% of the poverty guidelines.

7 hours ago, Anaar said:

Can someone please explain how does it work exactly?

Best to read the instructions for the I-134 at

https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

And read the K1 visa step-by step guide, especially the "What to send to your fiance once the I-129F is approved (Receive NOA2)"

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/k1-fiance-visa/

and make 2 copies of I-134 and all the supporting documents: 1 copy sent to the K1 beneficiary and 1 back-up copy.

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/k1-fiance-visa-tips/

7 hours ago, Anaar said:

Do they take in consideration the debts, loans, and child support payments of the sponsor if he is divorced and has a child from a previous marriage and deduct those from the annual income sum?

There are sections in the I-134 where it will ask if the US petitioner is divorced and to list the dependents.

The dependents will add to the household number to calculate the minimum income for support.

For example, if the US petitioner is planning to sponsor the foreign K1 beneficiary, and supporting 1 child dependent, then the household will be 3.

The poverty guideline for household of 3 is 24,860 to be K1 sponsor, and 31,075=1.25*24,860 to AOS.

If the US petitioner can not meet the guideline, then joint sponsorship (like family member, etc) is the best option.

7 hours ago, Anaar said:

Do they take in consideration if the beneficiary has a sum of money from a previous property owned and that was sold? Would that qualify for self support?

There are sections in the I-134 to list any US petitioner assets.

But the defining support for the K1 beneficiary is the current income of the US petitioner (need proof with some current pay statements, and 3 years of tax transcripts).

Again, if the US petitioner can not meet the supporting guideline, then the US petitioner needs to find joint sponsor(s).

Joint sponsors mean each sponsor needs to fill out a individual I-134 with supporting documents and send to the K1 beneficiary after the NOA2 case approval and before the consulate interview, so the K1 beneficiary will take two or more sets of I-134s with the supporting documents to the consulate interview.

Edited by EatBulaga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.