elmcitymaven

Heathrow Border Question

17 posts in this topic

Due to COVID and general oversight, my ex let his British passport expire and didn't get around to renewing it. (What's done is done, we don't need to be reminded or scolded here.) He does have a valid US passport. He is due to fly into Heathrow in about a week for the first time since 2009, and because of the expired passport he booked the ticket using his US passport. He knows to show both passports at the border in Heathrow, but the question is: which queue should he join? I argued that notwithstanding his lack of a current British travel document, he has always been and remains a British citizen and should use the UK one. He is minded to go in the "All Other Passports" queue because he is entering on his US passport. It's probably the safer bet, but if he can use the UK one it would almost certainly be quicker.

Any thoughts much appreciated. He'll be renewing while he's over there. 

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

You’ve said he’s a British citizen, and therefore he is legally required to enter on his UK travel docs.  He may have booked his ticket using a US passport but he must provider the UK info for his arrival.  In the very say way he must legally enter the US on his US passport.

He can either

1) apply for an emergency travel doc from your local UK embassy,

2) gamble - land, go to British citizens line, present his expired passport along with his US one which _may_ overcome the objection

It would be a bad idea to try to enter on a US passport and not tell Border Force. They will almost certainly know as he is the same person, and they information share on multiple passports.  This is there to close loopholes on avoiding the authorities.

I flew into Heathrow in February, and the lines we encountered were 1) UK, EU (including Schengen members CH, N, IS, etc.), U.S., and 2) all other passports. So, it seems like it doesn’t really matter as U.S. and UK passports are in the same line. Because we arrived at a time with almost only citizens of countries in 1), “all other passports” would have been quicker, and we ended up being directed there. 

However, I can’t speak to the legality of entering the UK on a passport other than UK if a citizen, so I’ll leave this to other UK citizens. 

Edited by CMJuilland

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***One post that suggested improper and/or illegal activity has been removed.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

10 minutes ago, Ryan H said:

***One post that suggested improper and/or illegal activity has been removed.***

Not that I'm stubborn or against mods decisions but in this case it is important to state that as per the HM passport office, british citizens that are dual nationals may choose to present a valid national passport in either of their nationalities at the UK border.

3 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Not that I'm stubborn or against mods decisions but in this case it is important to state that as per the HM passport office, british citizens that are dual nationals may choose to present a valid national passport in either of their nationalities at the UK border.

Some more information on the matter from the Home Office

"When dual nationals who are eligible to use e-gates travel to the UK, they will enter via the e-gates without being examined by an immigration officer."

So @elmcitymaven, your ex can use the e-gates at Heathrow using the US passport. He's just visiting, right? 

3 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Not that I'm stubborn or against mods decisions but in this case it is important to state that as per the HM passport office, british citizens that are dual nationals may choose to present a valid national passport in either of their nationalities at the UK border

Thanks, this is the actual answer to this particular issue. The UK is unlike the US in this regard, and I appreciate you flagging it. British citizens have a right of abode and can return, even on an expired passport.

He's not concealing his citizenship, to the person who suggested otherwise. As I stated earlier, "He knows to show both passports at the border in Heathrow". If the situation were reversed and his US passport were expired and returning to the US, he'd be facing far greater issues than which queue to be in.

@CMJuilland thanks for the tip, this is extremely useful. I'll pass it on.

1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Some more information on the matter from the Home Office

"When dual nationals who are eligible to use e-gates travel to the UK, they will enter via the e-gates without being examined by an immigration officer."

So @elmcitymaven, your ex can use the e-gates at Heathrow using the US passport. He's just visiting, right? 

Just visiting his mum for about a month, and to remind himself why he's not moving back, lol. He's a naturally risk-averse guy, he'll probably go in the line for US citizens but I'll pass this on too. Much obliged, dude.

4 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

Just visiting his mum for about a month, and to remind himself why he's not moving back, lol. He's a naturally risk-averse guy, he'll probably go in the line for US citizens but I'll pass this on too. Much obliged, dude.

You're welcome mate. 

And fear he should not, as e-gates can be used by citizens of the following countries: UK, European Economic Area, Australia, Canada, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland and USA.

So it's just scan and go! 

Yep, the US is different to the UK, there is no requirement for British citizens to enter on a UK passport. 

For now at least - the new ETA system being introduced this year (similar to ESTA) is expected to change that. 

Edited by appleblossom

Just now, appleblossom said:

Yep, the UK is different to the U.K., there is no requirement for British citizens to enter on a U.K. passport. 

For now at least - the new ETA system being introduced this year (similar to ESTA) is expected to change that. 

But just a few countries will need that by the end of this year. The US is not included, so far. 

And even then, as per the Home Office: "Where the passenger claims to be British, but does not hold any evidence of British citizenship, the officer will conduct all relevant checks to satisfy themselves the passenger is British."

10 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

But just a few countries will need that by the end of this year. The US is not included, so far. 

And even then, as per the Home Office: "Where the passenger claims to be British, but does not hold any evidence of British citizenship, the officer will conduct all relevant checks to satisfy themselves the passenger is British."

It’ll be a while before the US is added I think. Where is that last sentence from though? Everything I’ve read about the ETA says UK cits will have to have a valid British passport to enter, just as other countries with similar systems (US, Canada, Oz etc). 

10 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

It’ll be a while before the US is added I think. Where is that last sentence from though? Everything I’ve read about the ETA says UK cits will have to have a valid British passport to enter, just as other countries with similar systems (US, Canada, Oz etc). 

It's from the Parliament's website, and refers to those who hold dual citizenship. 

And on gov.uk it states that: you will not need an ETA if you have either a British or Irish passport (they don't specify if unexpired).

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

It's from the Parliament's website, and refers to those who hold dual citizenship. 

And on gov.uk it states that: you will not need an ETA if you have either a British or Irish passport (they don't specify if unexpired).

Ah, so not specific to the ETA system? I suspect that’ll be updated when it rolls out fully. 

That’s why Brits will need a passport to enter - they won’t be eligible for a visa or ETA so will have to have a passport or won’t be allowed to board the plane. 

21 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Ah, so not specific to the ETA system? I suspect that’ll be updated when it rolls out fully. 

That’s why Brits will need a passport to enter - they won’t be eligible for a visa or ETA so will have to have a passport or won’t be allowed to board the plane. 

The thing is that as a dual citizen, you can keep using the expired UK passport to prove citizenship - and in this case, avoid ETA- and the other unexpired passport to board the plane, train or ship.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.