Aoife&Cam

Green card approved

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
1 minute ago, OldUser said:

That is sad, as the replacement card can take another 1.5 - 2 years to receive.

I truly hope this is not the case. Omg devastating. Is there anything I can do about it now? The dob is only wrong on the i485 form all the other forms have the correct dob.

10 minutes ago, Aoife&Cam said:

I truly hope this is not the case. Omg devastating. Is there anything I can do about it now? The dob is only wrong on the i485 form all the other forms have the correct dob.

Wait for the card. If there is a mistake, file I-90 free of charge.

Timeline
On 3/22/2023 at 12:20 PM, OldUser said:

Wait for the card. If there is a mistake, file I-90 free of charge.

If the dob is correct, will I have problems returning to the US if the surname on my passport and green card are different?

1 hour ago, Aoife&Cam said:

If the dob is correct, will I have problems returning to the US if the surname on my passport and green card are different?

How different? If you changed your surname when you married, you can carry marriage certificate with you to explain discrepency.

If your surname is missing a letter or has an extra one on GC, you can try travelling on it at your risk. There's been anecdotal stories of it working, just know that this is not guaranteed. A detail oriented airline agent may deny you boarding the plane headed to the US. 

If your surname is completely different, then do not travel. You'll likely get stuck overseas.

Timeline
4 hours ago, OldUser said:

How different? If you changed your surname when you married, you can carry marriage certificate with you to explain discrepency.

If your surname is missing a letter or has an extra one on GC, you can try travelling on it at your risk. There's been anecdotal stories of it working, just know that this is not guaranteed. A detail oriented airline agent may deny you boarding the plane headed to the US. 

If your surname is completely different, then do not travel. You'll likely get stuck overseas.

My maiden name is on my passport and my green card will have my married name. If I bring marriage license will this be okay?

1 hour ago, Aoife&Cam said:

My maiden name is on my passport and my green card will have my married name. If I bring marriage license will this be okay?

Not marriage license. Bring marriage certificate. You cannot take your husband's name until you're officially married.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Not marriage license. Bring marriage certificate. You cannot take your husband's name until you're officially married.

I will get copy of marriage certificate from courthouse. Will this be okay to leave and reenter without any problems?

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Aoife&Cam said:

I will get copy of marriage certificate from courthouse. Will this be okay to leave and reenter without any problems? 

Edit: I have been reading about getting Form I-551 stamp in passport, is this something youve heard of?

@Aoife&Cam if you get the stamp, many times GC is taken away. And the stamp is only valid for a year.

Travel with you passport, GC and marriage certificate. You will be fine, if DOB is correct and the only difference is married VS maiden name between passport and GC.

Or update your passport to married name, then you won't have any problems at all.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.